Saints 2017

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: Saints 2017

Post by doncecco »

Man in Green wrote:The Saints may have both Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Year. Defensive for sure.
Lattimore's #1 competition was the other guy on the field yesterday, Tra'Davius White, but with the showing they had, that might be changing.

But TJ Watt will also get high consideration, just because of where he plays and he has a BIG brother.

Kamara still on the short end - a) because of McAffery's name and b) Hunt started faster out of the gate, and c) suggestions that Watson did enough in 6 games to deserve it and the injury wasn't his fault. Hogwash I say.

Plus AK will continue to play 2nd fiddle in touches which he rightfully should.
Bring home da Wave!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doncecco wrote:
Man in Green wrote:The Saints may have both Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Year. Defensive for sure.
Lattimore's #1 competition was the other guy on the field yesterday, Tra'Davius White, but with the showing they had, that might be changing.

But TJ Watt will also get high consideration, just because of where he plays and he has a BIG brother.

Kamara still on the short end - a) because of McAffery's name and b) Hunt started faster out of the gate, and c) suggestions that Watson did enough in 6 games to deserve it and the injury wasn't his fault. Hogwash I say.

Plus AK will continue to play 2nd fiddle in touches which he rightfully should.
McCaffrey's been a pretty big disappointment and Hunt is riding a remarkable streak of decreasing fantasy production every week since his debut (semi-disgruntled fantasy owner here...). No way Watson gets it with a half season...I'd say as of now it's Hunt then Kamara but their arrows are pointed in opposite directions.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

I have both Kamara and Hunt on one of my fantasy teams. Needless to say my team is doing quite well. :-D
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That was pretty amazing, y'all! With national coverage no less.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

This city will explode tonight. Biggest 4th quarter comeback in team history.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:This city will explode tonight. Biggest 4th quarter comeback in team history.
Which city will explode? N.O. or DC? :mrgreen:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

long green wrote:This city will explode tonight. Biggest 4th quarter comeback in team history.

This one was eerily similar to the 2009 comeback win over the skins... They were down 30 to 20 in the 4th, Washington had a chance to ice the game and shanked a fg... Saints tied and won in ot

Btw, Two epic finishes in 24 hours
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Johnny Mac wrote:

This one was eerily similar to the 2009 comeback win over the skins... They were down 30 to 20 in the 4th, Washington had a chance to ice the game and shanked a fg... Saints tied and won in ot

Btw, Two epic finishes in 24 hours
To me, this one was more improbable. Down 15 with less than 3 to play. Plus the 09 team was 11-0 and had already shown us magic. This team looked like it had reverted to last year or weeks 1-2. Drew put 'em on his back....
Bring home da Wave!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

No, this isn't the 2009 Skins game, it's more like the 2009 Dolphins game but even more improbable
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

long green wrote:No, this isn't the 2009 Skins game, it's more like the 2009 Dolphins game but even more improbable
Oh that one.... Yeah , that one was another miracle after a crappy start... I did utter todaythatthe defense from weeks 1 and 2 was back. A J and vacarro were sorely missed... Let's hope lattimore is not out long... Or okafor
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Okafor is out for the year. Time to dust off Kikihaha.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

Man in Green wrote:Okafor is out for the year. Time to dust off Kikihaha.

KiKaHa ????
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

IM42lane wrote:

KiKaHa ????
Yes. Kikaha.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Man in Green wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

KiKaHa ????
Yes. Kikaha.
Before okafor got in his groove, kikaha actually had more sacks. He and Hendrickson are capable back ups.

Saints really need Klein back. Perrine may turn into a decent nfl back but no way does he get 100 with Klein out there.. and even less of a chance with Klein and vacarro
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Man in Green wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

KiKaHa ????
Yes. Kikaha.
Sounds like Hendrickson will start because he can play both run and pass. Kikaha and Muhammed will be rotational backups - pass for the former, run mostly for the latter.

They could sure use another body down there though.

Just re-signed Sterling Moore - hopefully not indicative of the extent of Lattimore's injury, but more so he should be the primary backup, not Harris, who I've seen get nothing but burned the couple of games he's played.

Klein probably back, but Mauti cannot be the primary backup there either. Losing Stupar hurt more now than it appeared at the time. Mauti nice special teams player, but not an every down, or even part-time down, NFL ILB.

All teams dealing with extensive injuries - even the Eagles, Vikings, and Rams, so Saints are not alone and will keep finding a way through it as long as #9 or #60 are not amongst the wounded. They are the 2 most irreplaceable on the team.
Bring home da Wave!
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Bob Woods is out for the Rams this week. Caught a bit of break there.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

2.5 point underdogs in LA.

Not that I disagree with the line, but how often in NFL history has a team on an 8 game winning streak been an underdog?
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

MattK wrote:2.5 point underdogs in LA.

Not that I disagree with the line, but how often in NFL history has a team on an 8 game winning streak been an underdog?
I think the West Coast game mindset, the fascination with LA to hope football succeeds there, the Saints injuries on D all play into this. The NFC West is feasting on itself, the weak NFC East, and the even weaker AFC South. Division matchup play a lot in big record turnarounds season to season. LA is good, but at best this should be a pick-em.
Bring home da Wave!
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

The Rams are 28th in run defense, giving up 4.5 per carry.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

IMO the Saints need to focus on the home games. If they hold the line at home they'll be 11-4 going into a road finale vs a team that probably can't wait for the season to end. 12-4 will get you the division for sure and a home game in the playoffs. By "focus on the home games" I mean take it easy bringing back Vacarro, Klein, and Lattimore. If they can't practice this week move on and think about limiting them on the short week before Atlanta. A balls to the wall pursuit of the top seed is unrealistic.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

long green wrote:IMO the Saints need to focus on the home games. If they hold the line at home they'll be 11-4 going into a road finale vs a team that probably can't wait for the season to end. 12-4 will get you the division for sure and a home game in the playoffs. By "focus on the home games" I mean take it easy bringing back Vacarro, Klein, and Lattimore. If they can't practice this week move on and think about limiting them on the short week before Atlanta. A balls to the wall pursuit of the top seed is unrealistic.
Unlikely to catch Philly, but catching Minnesota and the #2 seed is realistic and necessary. Wouldn't want to go up to Minnesota and play them again (and yes, I understand it is a Dome again).

The bye is typically a BIG advantage in the NFL playoffs.

Plus, most coaches, and SP especially, are not wired that way. Except when there are meaningless games in weeks 16-17, they play to win. It's hard to turn it on and off, especially in the middle of the season. I can see a toned down mentality in LA leading to a lackluster game back home against Carolina, and then a quick turnaround to a surging Atlanta on a Thursday night. A 3-game losing streak right now could put them on the outside looking in.

Go to LA and get the win - there's nothing that says this team couldn't do it even with less than 100% Klein, Vaccaro and Lattimore, if they can suit up.
Bring home da Wave!
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Nice win yesterday over the Panthers. Good to be 3-0 in division. Probably need to run the table to get a bye.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

MNAlum wrote:Nice win yesterday over the Panthers. Good to be 3-0 in division. Probably need to run the table to get a bye.
Yeah, and Philly and Minny would each have to lose 2 (I think, maybe just 1 for Philly) IF the Saints can run the string. I just don't see that happening. Out of the 3/4 seed, it is then a matchup thing. What we don't want is Seattle - bad matchup, even if they're not as good. But then it's likely either facing Carolina or Atlanta a 3rd time, also not good, especially if we sweep the Falcons too.

The best matchup would be for the Rams to fall to the WC and have to come to the Dome as a 5 or 6 seed. Assuming Lattimore is healthy by then, the outcome would be entirely different.
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

MNAlum wrote:Nice win yesterday over the Panthers. Good to be 3-0 in division. Probably need to run the table to get a bye.
I don't think that will even happen because it will take 2 Minnesota losses... that's not going to happen
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
I don't think that will even happen because it will take 2 Minnesota losses... that's not going to happen
Good thing there's another bye available!