3 defenders grade high in PFF's weekly grading

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

3 defenders grade high in PFF's weekly grading

Unread post by waverider »

Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: 3 defenders grade high in PFF's weekly grading

Unread post by Poseidon »

Each week begin to think more and more that our pass defense woes are scheme and DL not getting to the QB. Not talent at DB.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:Each week begin to think more and more that our pass defense woes are scheme and DL not getting to the QB. Not talent at DB.
That doesn't explain failure to wrap up
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

I noticed that Tre Jackson hasn't played in the last two games. Is he hurt? Also, Braynon Edwards didn't play. Was he re-injured?
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

I think both corners are serious competitors. They are both very good at coverage. 17 is an outstanding tackler also - one of the best on the team.
Both safeties are well below average in coverage but both are decent at run stopping.
Overall an above average secondary, IMO.
But as I mentioned in a prior post, Richard Sherman couldn't cover Pope Francis with some of the time we have given the QBs.
I think next year 19 moves into 17's spot and does a decent job. Maybe not quite as good, but I like what I see. We'll be OK.
CORRECTION 11 moves to starting corner. But I like 19 when he's in the game also.
waverider
Cornerstone

Kendall Ardoin made the AAC list on offense. I think he was the one that made the block on Banks' TD run.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

1401973 wrote:I think both corners are serious competitors. They are both very good at coverage. 17 is an outstanding tackler also - one of the best on the team.
Both safeties are well below average in coverage but both are decent at run stopping.
Overall an above average secondary, IMO.
But as I mentioned in a prior post, Richard Sherman couldn't cover Pope Francis with some of the time we have given the QBs.
I think next year 19 moves into 17's spot and does a decent job. Maybe not quite as good, but I like what I see. We'll be OK.
CORRECTION 11 moves to starting corner. But I like 19 when he's in the game also.
The knock on Lewis this year was that he found himself out if position or would fail yo turn around to play the ball. I like 19 (if that's Shenall) because of his height and he's a pretty good tackler. He pulled up on a route that allowed a big catch in the Cincinatti game. Had he stayed with his man he likely has a pick. But he also made an open field tackle to stop a fourth down try in that same game.
Tulane Greenbackers

Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

The top 3 (all graded 90+) are Greenies. Nobody else reached 90.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Each week begin to think more and more that our pass defense woes are scheme and DL not getting to the QB. Not talent at DB.
I haven't noticed, but I will be looking. Are you talking about CB or Safeties?

edit: I assume that CBs these days are going not going to be good tacklers, but that is sacrificed for good coverage ability. Maybe I just have too low expectations.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

edit: I assume that CBs these days are going not going to be good tacklers, but that is sacrificed for good coverage ability. Maybe I just have too low expectations.
I blame that on The NFL. :-D At least for awhile there it was much more highlight reel worthy to put a big hit on someone so you’d see cover DBs doing just that. No wrap ups involved. I seldom see DBs wrap up at the HS level.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I blame that on The NFL. :-D At least for awhile there it was much more highlight reel worthy to put a big hit on someone so you’d see cover DBs doing just that. No wrap ups involved. I seldom see DBs wrap up at the HS level.
I agree. The minimization of pads hasn't helped either IMO. DBs go low or use their helmets way too often because there shoulders aren't padded to tackle hard at the torso area.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy