Time for Basketball Hype? - Dunleavy looking to pack Devlin

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Re: Time for Basketball Hype?

Post by CT Wave »

One day and we are one and oh.

Need to tighten up the defense. Do you think they scrimmaged at all?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

CT Wave wrote:One day and we are one and oh.

It is my understanding that a willingness to scrimmage is indicative of a coach's worth
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

CT Wave wrote:One day and we are one and oh.

Yes. And they looked good against themselves, Spaniards and lsu.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

We're not going to sign one and outers, ever. And we shouldn't. Most good programs don't.
Need to stay in the transfer game, though...that's still how a team like SMU gets much of its talent.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

GSx wrote:We're not going to sign one and outers, ever. And we shouldn't. Most good programs don't.
Need to stay in the transfer game, though...that's still how a team like SMU gets much of its talent.
I agree that we won't but I wouldn't say that we shouldn't.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
GSx wrote:We're not going to sign one and outers, ever. And we shouldn't. Most good programs don't.
I agree. I wouldn't focus on them, but, if the next (using extreme examples) Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, etc. decides they want to spend their one year at Tulane, I'm not going to dissuade them from doing so and would expect Tulane would risk the APR to accommodate him.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Speaking of hype, here's the TP coverage of the game:
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:Speaking of hype, here's the TP coverage of the game:
I don't know if you messed up a link, but if that was intentional because they didn't cover it, well played sir. Well played.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:Speaking of hype, here's the TP coverage of the game:
I don't know if you messed up a link, but if that was intentional because they didn't cover it, well played sir. Well played.
Yes. I was a little slow on the uptake, I must admit.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:
I also wouldn't say most good programs don't. In fact, I would say most of the best do.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
I also wouldn't say most good programs don't. In fact, I would say most of the best do.
What's the old phrase, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying"? How about, "if you aren't going after one and doners, you ain't trying"?

Infer all you want about whether the schools getting the one and doners are cheating. :green wink:
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Getting close!
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:Getting close!
Did you just update your signature line to go with this post? :lol:

Edit: and now you changed it again... :lol:
Last edited by PeteRasche on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Definitely time to hype up this program. Tell your friends and neighbors - this is a good team. Like any team, need to stay healthy, AND continue to improve. If they can do that, you never know how far they can go..
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I hate the bandwagon because by definition you're a fad enjoying your fifteen minutes of fame from uninterested people who just want to be seen. However it is what it is. MD's job is to make it last longer than fifteen minutes when these folks finally show up.

When Devlin is packed, it does give Tulane a home court advantage, so bandwagoners come on board. Could make a difference in AAC games once the students return in January.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:I hate the bandwagon because by definition you're a fad enjoying your fifteen minutes of fame from uninterested people who just want to be seen. However it is what it is. MD's job is to make it last longer than fifteen minutes when these folks finally show up.

When Devlin is packed, it does give Tulane a home court advantage, so bandwagoners come on board. Could make a difference in AAC games once the students return in January.
Being realistic here, we aren't going to start packing Devlin unless we beat UNC or FSU (or both). People (especially students) don't suddenly start following after 20 years of misery because we beat Colorado State. The message that this team is improved and fun to watch will be slow to grow unless we do something shocking - but it is worth sharing here. Remember in 1992 we were 8-0 and it was ho-hum. Then we won at Freedom Hall and suddenly we were the hottest ticket in town.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Pete, I agree with you. If you want to use the Clark analogy, this season probably is more like season two than three. Tulane will play plus-.500 ball and then be well greased for an outstanding year three which you summarized.

However it would help to have at least 500 students at the games. You generally now have 200+ (including Sound Wave, Shock Wave, Cheerleaders and the football team.) We now have only a modicum turnout of "regular" students. Add another 300 or so acting crazy and it gets wild in Devlin real fast. It would matter in some of these tough AAC games. As you know, the arena is so small the visitors are not insulated from anything and some of their prima donnas could be rattled fairly quickly and easily. (Perhaps just my green-shaded reminiscing of the good old days?)

Obviously I'm all in favor of MD accelerating that timeline in the simple case that now is better than later especially after we've spent the last several decades in basketball wilderness.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

It’s 3 games in to year 2 and the players are confident, the quality of play has improved tremendously and us hardcore fans are excited. MD has changed the culture. I hope the students notice soon.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:Pete, I agree with you. If you want to use the Clark analogy, this season probably is more like season two than three. Tulane will play plus-.500 ball and then be well greased for an outstanding year three which you summarized.
As far as the team, year two of MD would be a good analogy for year two of Clark (1990-91). The year we go from "single digit doormat who was playing much tougher at the end of the year and you can see future potential" (1989-90, and last year) to "beating some good teams, but still having hiccups and losing to teams we shouldn't, and finishing mid-pack" (1990-91, and hopefully this year). Next year would then be set up for big success. In 1990-91, we had a high-scoring Senior guard who then graduated (Michael Christian), and now we have Reynolds. Then like now, we were so deep that the next year we didn't miss him too much (to the point that his playing time decreased over the year because his scoring wasn't "needed"), so hopefully that plays out with the current team. We had a junior guard who could score when needed but generally was just the floor leader (Greg Gary then, Cornish now). We had an athletic junior swing man who could do it all and would be a senior the following year (Whitmore then, Frazier now). We had a lot of depth in the sophomore and freshman classes which would turn into experienced sophomores and juniors. What would be a really good sign this year, as was the case in 1990-91, is that we start beating some really good teams at the very end of the year.

But as for student and overall attendance, I wouldn't compare this year to that year, because people still came then due to the return of basketball from the dead, and weren't as concerned about wins. it wasn't until 1991-92 that the newness started to wear off and attendance wasn't quite as insane... but just as it would have been easy for attendance to drop off, we started 13-0/19-2, won at Freedom Hall, and led the conference race wire-to-wire, so people came in even greater numbers.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Re: Time for Basketball Hype? - Dunleavy looking to pack Dev

Post by noladave »

“We need our fans to come out and fill our building for us,” Dunleavy said. “We have a good group. We could use little momentum builders when we go through some rough patches. We’re trying to figure out a formula to make (fan turnout) happen“
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Related to attendance: anyone notice the Southern game is on a Wednesday at noon in Devlin? Is this the annual kids field trip game or something?

Just think of 500 screeching nine year olds yelling "MELVIN!!!" Hopefully the Jags bring a slimmed down version of The Human Juke Box and for at least that game Devlin will rock in a unique way. I guess they will provide parking in Diboll or Rosen lot since Loyola will be in use during school day.

These games in the past have been fun because they provide a certain surreal experience especially since Devlin attendance otherwise has been so patchy.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Ok, let’s pack Devlin at 2pm this Sunday, against Tulsa.

Not sure how far this team can go, but they sure play exciting basketball...

#R-O-L-L-W-A-V-E!!!!!
gumby93
Trainer

Post by gumby93 »

I had the pleasure of being at TU 89-32 and During the early Clark days of 4-24, then 15-12, then the breakout year, there were so pretty strong growing crowds. As Pete said a couple of posts back the Louisville win really brought the house down but there were some good earlier games that packed the house.

New Orleans & Memphis in 1991 were insanely fun games and showed what Fogelman/now Devlin could be like - a DAMN hard place for the opposition to play. One thing I recall was during many of the less attended games there was a relatively large greek student presence that steadily grew over time - it would be great if some of the frats could drive their membership and pledges to some games and make some noise. This clearly looks like a fun team to watch and a raucous Devlin would be a blast to see again.

To this day one of my favorite sporting event memories is the 4-24 season beating a ranked Memphis St. at home by 1 point. Hell of a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3R_ayYsRM