Tim Floyd quits

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Tim Floyd quits

Unread post by PeteRasche »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnb7Kz

Starts off the season 1-5, and just up and quits on his team. Nice.

Commence the annual arguing by a select few here that he'd have been a great coach for us. :roll:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Tim Floyd quits

Unread post by TUPF »

What’s that John Wayne movie quote? “Don’t much like quitters, son”
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I have a slightly different twist. Conventional wisdom is that Div 1 coaching is a young man's game. (Although Coach K, Roy Williams and Tom Izzo are not exactly spring chickens.)

I know ageism is illegal but too bad it exists. We have occasional posts here about Fritz being recruited elsewhere. I just don't see it happening because of his age and his offense as LG often notes.

As concerns Floyd. I wish him well in retirement but it does underachieve that he just walked away from it and didn't leave at season's end when most usually retire. In fairness to him, perhaps he was told by the PTB after the abysmal start, "This is your last season," and he replied, "No, this is my last day."

All wild speculation.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

I'm thinking it was in consultation with the AD.... either retire or we fire your ass
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Regardless of whether it was Floyd's decision or the PTB above him, to me it is very clear that nobody gave a cr*p about the kids on the team.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

I didn't realize but he didnt go to the NCAAs at UTEP.
Victory is never permanent
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Floyd was a bad pick for us for so many reasons, yet one duffus in particular kept harping we should offer the guy the position :roll:
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:Floyd was a bad pick for us for so many reasons, yet one duffus in particular kept harping we should offer the guy the position :roll:
I was not that dufus but that dufus was right when it came to Floyd vs. Conroy.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

long green wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Floyd was a bad pick for us for so many reasons, yet one duffus in particular kept harping we should offer the guy the position :roll:
I was not that dufus but that dufus was right when it came to Floyd vs. Conroy.
Low bar...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

ECU's coach gets in on the quit early party.
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... o-resigns/
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:ECU's coach gets in on the quit early party.

I agree totally with Pete that this is massively unfair and disruptive to the players. But, Holy Batman, ECU plays in what is undoubtedly a P6 Conference for basketball and it has lost at home to Radford, CCU and NC A&T, and it's only November. Wow!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I guess Lebo saw the writing on the wall that his performance wasn't putting him in line for his alma mater when Roy Williams retires someday, so... 8)
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote:

I agree totally with Pete that this is massively unfair and disruptive to the players. But, Holy Batman, ECU plays in what is undoubtedly a P6 Conference for basketball and it has lost at home to Radford, CCU and NC A&T, and it's only November. Wow!
There are no "P6" conferences in MBB. There's only the B10, ACC, Pac-12, Kentucky, Kansas and everyone else. There are some non-football conferences that are really good: A-10, Big East come to mind. ECU has never, NEVER been a basketball powerhouse, kind of like TCU. ECU makes Tulane look like Gonzaga.

So stop with the P6 talk about MBB. It just doesn't fit and creates branding that is inaccurate and ultimately detrimental to us.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

There are no "P6" conferences in MBB. There's only the B10, ACC, Pac-12, Kentucky, Kansas and everyone else. There are some non-football conferences that are really good: A-10, Big East come to mind. ECU has never, NEVER been a basketball powerhouse, kind of like TCU. ECU makes Tulane look like Gonzaga.

So stop with the P6 talk about MBB. It just doesn't fit and creates branding that is inaccurate and ultimately detrimental to us.
Sorry, in short this is baloney. AAC is probably a five bid conference this year. If you consider that "everyone else" category then you need to go to self-esteem class. I don't know another way to put it.

As concerns ECU never being a basketball powerhouse well when has Vandy made the CFP? Yes, Tulane still has more SEC football championships than Vandy but who gets the SEC cred? As the trite commercial cliche says, "Membership Matters."
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Sorry, in short this is baloney. AAC is probably a five bid conference this year. If you consider that "everyone else" category then you need to go to self-esteem class. I don't know another way to put it.

As concerns ECU never being a basketball powerhouse well when has Vandy made the CFP? Yes, Tulane still has more SEC football championships than Vandy but who gets the SEC cred? As the trite commercial cliche says, "Membership Matters."
I'm sorry, we agree to disagree. My point is--and I made the mistake of mixing two thoughts and not being very clear--is that you cannot look at CFB P5 or 6 football and NCAA MBB in the same way. Basketball and football are such different games that they are not comparable and branding them the same is a mistake that doesn't help Tulane. I can name at least 12 programs that are not in a "P6" conference that are top flight (Gonzaga, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, etc.). I can also name about 20 schools in "P6" conferences that have NEVER been good in MBB, of which ECU and TCU are two prime examples. And although there are several great non-"P6" programs out there, virtually every NCAA champ comes from either the ACC, B10, Pac-12, Kentucky or Kansas (UNLV & Florida being big exceptions for a brief period and UConn). BTW, I don't think the AAC gets five NCAA bids this year, and I'd be willing to bet you a donut on that (even with Wichita St.).
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Don't they usually divide basketball with mid-major vs high major or something? AAC and Big East usually fall in with the high major in that division
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone