Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I sure can't. Brett Favre might be the best CUSA QB. Keenum is having a good year and Kevin Kolb was a starter for a bit. David Garrard? Byron Leftwich, and Chad Pennington? I don't think those guys (outside of Favre) have been all that successful
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I think Windy's anti-SEC bias is shading what could be considered a successful NFL QB. I'm not going to count Cutler and Dak is still too soon to tell, but Newton and Stafford are clearly good quarterbacks unless your only measure of success is winning a Super Bowl. There are plenty of teams that wish they had them on their team.
Cam Newton hasn't played long enough and Detroit sucks
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I think Windy's anti-SEC bias is shading what could be considered a successful NFL QB. I'm not going to count Cutler and Dak is still too soon to tell, but Newton and Stafford are clearly good quarterbacks unless your only measure of success is winning a Super Bowl. There are plenty of teams that wish they had them on their team.
Cam Newton hasn't played long enough and Detroit sucks
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I sure can't. Brett Favre might be the best CUSA QB. Keenum is having a good year and Kevin Kolb was a starter for a bit. David Garrard? Byron Leftwich, and Chad Pennington? I don't think those guys (outside of Favre) have been all that successful
Bortles? Did Bridgewater overlap in CUSA? I don't think so. If we're calling any of these guys successes (save Favre, obviously) I think we'd need to give Dak and Cutler to the SEC.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

gerryb323 wrote:
I initially didn't include Cutler, but the guy's been a starter for what, 11 years now? Irregardless, can y'all think of 4 cusa/AAC guys?
AAC guys early in careers: Bortles, Paxton Lynch, Ryan Griffin (others?)
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

MNAlum wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
I initially didn't include Cutler, but the guy's been a starter for what, 11 years now? Irregardless, can y'all think of 4 cusa/AAC guys?
Well they succeeded in making it to the NFL, but then we need to add AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Matt Flynn, Ryan Mallett, Aaron Murray and probably way more to the SEC
Last edited by gerryb323 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I sure can't. Brett Favre might be the best CUSA QB. Keenum is having a good year and Kevin Kolb was a starter for a bit. David Garrard? Byron Leftwich, and Chad Pennington? I don't think those guys (outside of Favre) have been all that successful
Doesn't Favre predate the CUSA?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
Doesn't Favre predate the CUSA?
Yes, but not really the point. They were CUSA equivalent as independent, no?
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Reports coming in that Taggart to Florida State is official.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Willie Taggart reported to be the next Florida State head coach. If I'm not sold that he's the right guy I am convinced that he is much better than any other candidate.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Well they succeeded in making it to the NFL, but then we need to add AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Matt Flynn, Ryan Mallett, Aaron Murray and probably way more to the SEC
Don't forget Windy's fav, Rex Grossman :lol: . I think given how much the SEC is talked up you might expect more "elite" level QBs to have come from the league. But in reality they've produced plenty of NFL level QB prospects. Sports are zero sum, so only very few can achieve that "elite" level and it makes sense those top level QBs will come from a variety of places.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

I truly believe that predicting who will be an elite QB in the NFL is the most difficult predictor in sports. NFL teams spend tons of $$ on it and STILL don't get it right. Otherwise, the two best QBs of their generation, Montana and Brady, wouldn't have gone in the 3rd and 6th rounds, respectively. And Ryan Leaf wouldn't have been the second pick. Or Robert Griffin. Or Brady Quinn. Etc., etc.

It's tough to hold the SEC accountable for their failings at QB because they are probably just as "successful" as all other leagues in CFB.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

If anything, the thing all of the Big 12 QBs/Coaches have in common is that they weren't NFL quality and could get an early start on coaching.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

long green wrote:UCF hire Josh Heupel to replace Scott Frost. Heupel was the OC at Missouri, who turned their season around 180 degrees after an awful 1-5 start. UCF knew they were losing their coach for weeks so they were free to work quietly to find a replacement and here's the result.
Randy Shannon to be DC
Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Bart Starr
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Bart Starr
Sarcasm?
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Couple of AAC updates: Mike Norvell just signed an extension with Memphis, and I'm seeing a lot of Chad Morris to Arkansas buzz. That's still a wait-and-see, but so was Taggart to FSU for a few days.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

1309th WAVE wrote:Couple of AAC updates: Mike Norvell just signed an extension with Memphis, and I'm seeing a lot of Chad Morris to Arkansas buzz. That's still a wait-and-see, but so was Taggart to FSU for a few days.
Chad Morris to Arkansas being reported as done deal.
Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Bart Starr
Sarcasm?
No, pretty sure he went to Bama... :wink:
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

OGSB wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote: Couple of AAC updates: Mike Norvell just signed an extension with Memphis, and I'm seeing a lot of Chad Morris to Arkansas buzz. That's still a wait-and-see, but so was Taggart to FSU for a few days.
Chad Morris to Arkansas being reported as done deal.
Morris does move on to Ark. SMU has to come to New Orleans next year with a new HC.

Poetic justice????
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Wow. I just was not impressed with Morris. Oh well..............
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

GreenieBacker wrote:Wow. I just was not impressed with Morris. Oh well..............
You can fool some of the people all the time, and all the people some of the time...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

GreenieBacker wrote:Wow. I just was not impressed with Morris. Oh well..............
If you move the goalposts a bit, what Morris did to get the program back from their 2014 team, which could very well be the worst FBS team in history, to a bowl in 3 years is pretty impressive. Is it a better resume than Norvell, or Neal Brown, or many other G5 up-and-comers? Probably not.

2014 SMU averaged 3 points a game through their first 4 games and scored 14 touchdowns all year, though. He built a top 10 offense out of basically nothing (and left the defense as bad as it was before).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

UTEP hires KState o coordinator Dana Dimel
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote:UTEP hires KState o coordinator Dana Dimel
Isn't that the same Dimel who couldn't coach Cougar High? Phew! Of course, who else could UTEP get?

Also, Herm Edwards to Arizona St.? Another questionable hire. Fire Todd Graham for going 7-5 and hiring Edwards?! Phew!

FWIW, I thought Morris did a pretty good job at SMU--they were competitive in 10 out of 12 games. They recovered from the June Jones hangover.
Plan your work, work your plan.