AAC coaching carousel

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

AAC coaching carousel

Post by Johnny Mac »

I realize there is a coaching carousel thread on the non Tulane sports forum, but how about an AAC specific thread

Openings:
UCF (Frost to Nebraska) filled by Josh Heupel
SMU (Morris to Arkansas)

Not leaving:
Memphis (they extended Norvell today)

Fired?
Anyone fired that I haven't heard?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: AAC coaching carousel

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Well UCF is already filled by Josh Heupel so you can take that one off the list.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I can't believe ECU hasn't canned Montgomery yet.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:I can't believe ECU hasn't canned Montgomery yet.
I think it is the case of the AD not willing to admit he made a bad hire.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

A possible effect of that is they may well be in full implode mode by the time we face them next year.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Poseidon wrote:
Last decade ECU didn't have a problem with this after two seasons of John Thompson.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

ESPN now reporting Morris to Arkansas. He may want to send a gift basket to the ref that screwed us. I'm guessing 7-5 looks a lot more palatable to Razorback land than 6-6 and an end of season loss to Tulane.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... rris-coach
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think Morris also needs to thank whatever it is in Mike Norvell's background that made Arkansas pass on him. The rumor is that he has some gambling issues. The google is also that he has gambling issues.

SMU is going to have to work hard to mess this up. I think they should go after Neal Brown of Troy. His QB is finished and The Death Of Mark Hudspeth is the clearest possible example that he needs to get out the 'Belt while he can. SMU's QB has two more years and even if Trey Quinn joins Courtland Sutton in the NFL Draft SMU still has some good skill guys. Even if Brown says no SMU can still make a good hire easily. What about Mike Yurcich, the OC at Oklahoma State? It would be a good time for him to make a move.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Poseidon wrote:
plus he's already in the cross hairs over Lebo
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:ESPN now reporting Morris to Arkansas. He may want to send a gift basket to the ref that screwed us. I'm guessing 7-5 looks a lot more palatable to Razorback land than 6-6 and an end of season loss to Tulane.
there was talk months ago that Morris was going to be on short lists for big jobs... I don't think 7-5 v 6-6 mattered
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

From 247 - Todd Orlando Texas defensive coordinator on SMU's short list -
Along with Orlando, SMU interim head coach Jeff Traylor, who was an assistant at Texas under Charlie Strong for two seasons (2015, 2016), North Texas head coach Seth Littrell, UTSA head coach Frank Wilson and former Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin are among the possible replacements to fill the vacancy, sources said.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Littrell is a nice-looking coaching prospect. I'd rate him way above Frank Wilson. Littrell's and NT's QB has two more years so he looks like a fair bet to keep winning in Denton. IMO, that distinguishes him from Neal Brown of Troy who is not mentioned in your blurb.
Last edited by long green on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

Eff chad Morris. Banks was in. Hope Morris falls flat on his face.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wavefan wrote:Eff chad Morris. Banks was in. Hope Morris falls flat on his face.
Oh, so it's the coach's fault that the referee made a bad call and no decent camera angles were available. Gotcha.

For the love of God, please don't take the "Morris should have conceded the game because Banks was in". Please.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wavefan wrote:Eff chad Morris. Banks was in. Hope Morris falls flat on his face.
Oh, so it's the coach's fault that the referee made a bad call and no decent camera angles were available. Gotcha.

For the love of God, please don't take the "Morris should have conceded the game because Banks was in". Please.
it would have been the honorable thing to do
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:

Well, he didn't.

I'm slightly disappointed he won't be on the field when we cram that game down their throats sideways next season, that's all.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

sr wrote:From 247 - Todd Orlando Texas defensive coordinator on SMU's short list -
Along with Orlando, SMU interim head coach Jeff Traylor, who was an assistant at Texas under Charlie Strong for two seasons (2015, 2016), North Texas head coach Seth Littrell, UTSA head coach Frank Wilson and former Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin are among the possible replacements to fill the vacancy, sources said.
A revised list has appeared on 247 - Interesting add ...
At the beginning of the week, the candidates who were expected to be interviewed by SMU athletic director Rick Hart included former Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin, TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie, North Texas head coach Seth Littrell, Tulane head coach Willie Fritz, Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables, Orlando, Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele and SMU interim coach Jeff Traylor, sources told Horns247.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wow. Just.... wow. Fritz leaving Tulane for SMU? Seriously?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

That's your response? Not "that seems...unlikely"? Which it does. I doubt he'd get asked ahead of some of those guys and I very much doubt SMU would want to make drastic changes on offense. That's if he's even interviewing.

the main SMU board fan poll, which is just slightly less credible than that paragraph ranks them this way:
Kevin Sumlin - 39%
Lane Kiffin (great choice if you want to be doing this all over again next year) - 28%
Frank Wilson - 10%
Blake Anderson - 10%
Seth Littrell - 6%
Mack Brown (I guess in Texas he's Jon Gruden)- 6%
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:That's your response? Not "that seems...unlikely"? Which it does.
Yes, it translates to "I have no words to describe how comical that is."
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Time to repeat what has been stated earlier here ad infinitum: who is going to recruit away a 57 year old reincarnation of Grant Teaff with a losing record at Tulane? With the CW about Tulane, "The killer of Athletic Conferences," what do you think the fan reaction would be at his new school? Perhaps Tennessee and Schiano?

More importantly there is both ageism and "systemism" at play here. Herm Edwards just got ASU at 63. Dana Dimel at UTEP is 55 and Chip Kelly at 54 at UCLA is the oldest other guy who has gotten a new FBS coaching job. (Please correct me if I'm in error here.)

Les Miles with an incredible resume is on what amounts to permanent vacation because he is 63.

So 1 out of 18 jobs to date has been filled by someone older than Fritz. Near as I can tell none of them are option guys like Fritz but Stanford guy ran a pretty conservative offense who is going to Rice. BTW Bloomgren is 40.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching-changes/

I love Fritz. I bet he will lead Tulane to consistent football success. I wish him well if and when he decides to do something else. I predict (read "hope") it's about 2030.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:That's your response? Not "that seems...unlikely"? Which it does.
Yes, it translates to "I have no words to describe how comical that is."
Well, OK then.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

long green wrote:That's your response? Not "that seems...unlikely"? Which it does. I doubt he'd get asked ahead of some of those guys and I very much doubt SMU would want to make drastic changes on offense. That's if he's even interviewing.

the main SMU board fan poll, which is just slightly less credible than that paragraph ranks them this way:
Kevin Sumlin - 39%
Lane Kiffin (great choice if you want to be doing this all over again next year) - 28%
Frank Wilson - 10%
Blake Anderson - 10%
Seth Littrell - 6%
I haven't seen much on their search. Sonny Dykes' name came up on a google search.
Victory is never permanent
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

BTW, all of Scott Frost's assistants are headed to Nebraska and they'll all get substantial raises.
Victory is never permanent
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

OGSB wrote:
long green wrote:That's your response? Not "that seems...unlikely"? Which it does. I doubt he'd get asked ahead of some of those guys and I very much doubt SMU would want to make drastic changes on offense. That's if he's even interviewing.

Kevin Sumlin - 39%
Frank Wilson - 10%
Blake Anderson - 10%
Seth Littrell - 6%
I haven't seen much on their search. Sonny Dykes' name came up on a google search.
And google is right! Reports are that Dykes is the new coach. Dykes finished third in the last ponyfans.com poll, with first place being a tie between interim coach/hot recruiter Jeff Traylor and "getting rid of my season tickets."

Fools. Dykes is not sexy but he's a solid hire. He's the same age as Morris (49) and he left Cal in better shape than he found it. He'll do a good job with what Morris left him, especially at QB.