It's snowing in New Orleans

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
long green
Cornerstone

It's snowing in New Orleans

Post by long green »

The sleet has turned to snow. Do not drive in New Orleans today if you don't have to.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: It's snowing in New Orleans

Post by PeteRasche »

Man, I remember when it snowed my freshman year (12/22/89)... I had no idea what a rare site that was. I believe New Orleans got about 4". Luckily for Tulane almost all students were already gone and only the RAs remained and were leaving that morning. I actually have some photos I took in a scrapbook of some of them having a snowball fight on Monroe quad.

I saw this morning they are expecting up to 3" in Corpus Christi, TX, which is even farther south. Crazy weather pattern.

Meanwhile it's all going either south or north of me... blue skies outside.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

[quote="long green"]The sleet has turned to snow. Do not drive in New Orleans today if you don't have to.[/quot

I don't believe it is really dangerous to drive in the Big Easy today. If you are careful it shouldn't be a problem. Of course, if you do the first place snow can be hazardous is on bridges and overpasses. That is where you should be extra careful. I remember in '89 (I think it was that year) that my work let us go home early (it was the Friday before Christmas on Monday) and it took me 3.5 hours to get home from the Clearview/Jeff Hwy area to the Harrison Ave area.

'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

It was 82 on Tuesday when I was on campus. I ditched my sports jacket back in my hotel because my non-tropical body was not adapted. You guys are on a weather roller coaster.

Calling for 5-8” tonight here on the Maryland Eastern Shore which could necessitate calling out the National Guard. The last time we had snow one neighbor was scraping off her windshield with a spatula. They don’t know from snow.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

It's switched back to rain on the northshore. I'd like to see some sun soon so I can, you know, drive places.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

It has snowed a good bit up here in and around Baton Rouge. All the schools and state offices are closed today.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Crazy !! Pure Blue skies in Southern Wis.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Drove to the north shore last night so wave tot could see his first snow and make his first snow man
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

WaveProf wrote:Drove to the north shore last night so wave tot could see his first snow and make his first snow man
Nice :!: :!:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:Man, I remember when it snowed my freshman year (12/22/89)... I had no idea what a rare site that was. I believe New Orleans got about 4". Luckily for Tulane almost all students were already gone and only the RAs remained and were leaving that morning. I actually have some photos I took in a scrapbook of some of them having a snowball fight on Monroe quad.

I saw this morning they are expecting up to 3" in Corpus Christi, TX, which is even farther south. Crazy weather pattern.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that was the only white christmas on record for New Orleans
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Man, I remember when it snowed my freshman year (12/22/89)... I had no idea what a rare site that was. I believe New Orleans got about 4". Luckily for Tulane almost all students were already gone and only the RAs remained and were leaving that morning. I actually have some photos I took in a scrapbook of some of them having a snowball fight on Monroe quad.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that was the only white christmas on record for New Orleans
It snowed on Christmas Day in the 2000s. Google suggests it would have been 2004
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

MattK wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

It snowed on Christmas Day in the 2000s. Google suggests it would have been 2004
It was 2004, because that was my first Christmas after moving back here to Cincinnati, and my wife had family in Corpus Christi, Texas, and I remember calling them on Christmas morning and they were getting snow and we weren't (although we'd had an icy 4" several days before that). Similar system to what y'all had this past week (this thread). It even snowed in Brownsville, which is on the Mexican border.

JM must have been thinking of 2004, because it all melted before Christmas day back in 1989. Or at least it was completely gone (sunny and 50s) when I flew back to NOLA on the 26th for basketball practice.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Def snowed XMas day 2004. My wife (then fiance) was in NOLA visiting her family and I was in Virginia. Talked on the phone. Know it was that year, because we've always joked since then how it snowed the XMas before Katrina, so we should have known SOMEthing was "up" weather wise
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Going way back, it snowed in NO the day of or the day before the Sugar Bowl in 1964. I had gone to Memphis to party with friends and we we woke up on New Year's Day, we turned on TV and saw that it had snowed in NO. I think it was all gone by game time. It was clear in Memphis.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:Def snowed XMas day 2004. My wife (then fiance) was in NOLA visiting her family and I was in Virginia. Talked on the phone. Know it was that year, because we've always joked since then how it snowed the XMas before Katrina, so we should have known SOMEthing was "up" weather wise
Was supposed to fly out to meet my family in Vegas for Christmas. They left from Boston no problem. I got snowed in in New Orleans. My mom still hasn't forgiven me
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Cheerleader wrote:Going way back, it snowed in NO the day of or the day before the Sugar Bowl in 1964. I had gone to Memphis to party with friends and we we woke up on New Year's Day, we turned on TV and saw that it had snowed in NO. I think it was all gone by game time. It was clear in Memphis.
https://allstatesugarbowl.org/classic/1964-game-recap/

Alabama-Ole Miss. Snow banks surrounded the field. It was cold. Namath was suspended so Sloan was the QB.

Interesting Sugar Bowl MBB tourney at Loyola was completed the day before with similar conditions outside. Final on New Year's Eve was between KY and Duke (sound familiar?) with KY winning by two. Great game and Cotton Nash was MVP. Street conditions were awful but it was fun walking through campus and uptown to get to Loyola Field House. Five inches of snow or so had fallen over a few hours. Driving was no cinch.

Sugar Bowl MBB used to bring in awesome teams for decades. (Remember Bob McAdoo and UNC in Municipal Auditorium?) Too bad they gave it up. Alot of fun for local MBB fans.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

I have a friend who was born and raised in Honduras, and who moved to New Orleans in the 90s. She had never seen snow before. But on Christmas, 2004, she took a new job in Washington, DC. And set out on the road on Christmas Day--in the snow, having never seen snow before. She drove through the snow until she was well past Hattiesburg.

Of course, after she got to DC, she saw more snow than she ever wanted.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:Going way back, it snowed in NO the day of or the day before the Sugar Bowl in 1964. I had gone to Memphis to party with friends and we we woke up on New Year's Day, we turned on TV and saw that it had snowed in NO. I think it was all gone by game time. It was clear in Memphis.
https://allstatesugarbowl.org/classic/1964-game-recap/

Alabama-Ole Miss. Snow banks surrounded the field. It was cold. Namath was suspended so Sloan was the QB.

Interesting Sugar Bowl MBB tourney at Loyola was completed the day before with similar conditions outside. Final on New Year's Eve was between KY and Duke (sound familiar?) with KY winning by two. Great game and Cotton Nash was MVP. Street conditions were awful but it was fun walking through campus and uptown to get to Loyola Field House. Five inches of snow or so had fallen over a few hours. Driving was no cinch.

Sugar Bowl MBB used to bring in awesome teams for decades. (Remember Bob McAdoo and UNC in Municipal Auditorium?) Too bad they gave it up. Alot of fun for local MBB fans.
Isn't it back this year? Kentucky involved, I believe.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ML, They are playing UCLA here next week (but alas no LaVar.) This game is being sponsored by CBS Sports and SMG (i.e., taking the financial risk as promoters.) Sugar Bowl probably has something to do with it regardless of the fine print, since it now supports amateur sports in N.O. where possible.

Even though not officially an SB event, as you suggest it hits the theme of top notch holiday MBB in New Orleans. I had just forgotten about it.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

MattK wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

that's the event I was thinking about
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Again. Well, it did last night. It wasn't a blizzard by any means. But we're talking about New Orleans here, so maybe it was. :roll:

And my Entergy bill certainly reflected the "colder than usual" weather we've had so far this winter. Largest amount I have ever had since, well, forever.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"