Shoeless Joe Jackson

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Shoeless Joe Jackson

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I am sure that pretty much all of you have heard of him. Played in the AL a total of 11 seasons and was roundly hailed as the best player of his time (not named Babe Ruth). He played on the 1919 Chicago "Black Sox" who reportedly "threw" the World Series that year. And he finished his playing career in 1920 playing for the Sox...the movie "Eight Men Out" kinda led you to believe that the players on the '19 team were expelled from baseball after that year, but that did not really happen until the after the '20 season (which was actually his best season ever). But the reason I started this thread is to let y'all know that he played for the New Orleans Pelicans in 1910, which was the last year he played in the minors before moving to the majors, first with the Indians and then the White Sox. And then, after the players were banned, to any place he could play which was not in the majors.

You can check out "baseball-reference.com" to find out more about Shoeless Joe if you like.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Shoeless Joe Jackson

Post by PeteRasche »

Been a little bored lately, 54? :mrgreen:
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Re: Shoeless Joe Jackson

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Yea, I guess. But I just thought that it might be some interesting local history which most of y'all probably didn't know. And I've always been a student of history...so much to learn from it. :roll:

'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"