2018 Commit List Radar Status

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: 2018 Commit List Radar Status

Post by Poseidon »

Poseidon wrote:-There has been a lot of talk about commits being under the radar. I seek to roughly define and lay out the facts. I propose 2 classifications for this purpose. Simply put if they have a P5, or two AAC or MWC/BYU/Army offer they are "on the radar." I include the MWC because their recruiting class grades compare with AAC's.

GREEN: On
RED: OFF
Strike through = de-commit
Bold = Sign
Name-POS-top 3 Offers

Sorrell Brown WR USAFA, Purdue, UTEP
Macon Clark LB ULL, Troy, Texas State,
Simi Bakare RB NMSU, Central Ark, Stephen F Austin
Cameron Carroll RB South Al, Southern Miss, Central Ark
Nik Hogan OL Miss St, Kentucky, ECU
Tyrick James TE K-STate, SMU, New Mexico
Jamal Anderson DB Louisville only other offer
Patrick Shegog ATH Army, Navy Central Ark.
Carlos Hatcher DE USM only other offer
Michael Remondet OL UL, Marshall
Jason Swann OL NC State, Syraccuse, Miss St.
Jamiran James DT Houston, Memphis, Navy
Amare Jones ATH Tulsa, SFA, UNT
Stephen Lewerenz OL MTSU, Liberty, Murray
Davon Wright DT Navy, SMU, COl state
Juan Monjarres DE Wash St, Colorado, ECU
Christian Daniels QB Purdue, USAFA, Navy
Jorien Vallien WR Ms St, TTU, Vandy
ON: 9 OFF: 7

Updated
Last edited by Poseidon on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Clark has a 3rd offer, from Texas State & Bakare has an FBS offer from NMSU. Minor adjustments perhaps but in the latter case it means we have no commitments from players with no other reported FBS offers. Last year we signed 4 such players.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

long green wrote:Clark has a 3rd offer, from Texas State & Bakare has an FBS offer from NMSU. Minor adjustments perhaps but in the latter case it means we have no commitments from players with no other reported FBS offers. Last year we signed 4 such players.
And how have those four players turned out so far?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Poseidon wrote:-There has been a lot of talk about commits being under the radar. I seek to roughly define and lay out the facts. I propose 2 classifications for this purpose. Simply put if they have a P5, or two AAC or MWC/BYU/Army offer they are "on the radar." I include the MWC because their recruiting class grades compare with AAC's.

GREEN: On
RED: OFF
Strike through = de-commit
Bold = Sign
Name-POS-top 3 Offers

Sorrell Brown WR USAFA, Purdue, UTEP
Macon Clark LB ULL, Troy, Texas State,
Simi Bakare RB Mizzou, KSNMSU, Central Ark, Stephen F Austin
Cameron Carroll RB South Al, Southern Miss, Central Ark
Nik Hogan OL Miss St, Kentucky, ECU
Tyrick James TE K-STate, SMU, New Mexico
Jamal Anderson DB Louisville only other offer
Patrick Shegog ATH Army, Navy Central Ark.
Carlos Hatcher DE USM only other offer
Michael Remondet OL UL, Marshall
Jason Swann OL NC State, Syraccuse, Miss St.
Jamiran James DT Houston, Memphis, Navy
Amare Jones ATH Tulsa, SFA, UNT
Stephen Lewerenz OL MTSU, Liberty, Murray
Davon Wright DT Navy, SMU, COl state
Juan Monjarres DE Wash St, Colorado, ECU
Christian Daniels QB Purdue, USAFA, Navy
Jorien Vallien WR Ms St, TTU, Vandy
Jeffery Johnson DT Alabama, Florida, LSU
Dorian Camel S Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas
Ryan Wright P None* he's a keeker

ON: 12 OFF: 6*

Updated
Help Correct what is wrong...
Last edited by Poseidon on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

12 on 6 off with one kicker recruit.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:12 on 6 off with one kicker recruit.
I know, just trying to be consistent. I think all kickers are "off the radar."
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

I just looked again at Poseidon's list and something struck me. Regarding Daniels, our QB commit, his offers are from Purdue, USAFA and Navy. That is, two triple-option offenses and one throw-it-around-the-yard-type of offense. No big deal, just struck me how different those offenses are from one another and the talent it takes to run either one.

Look forward to seeing what Daniels can do.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Rotorooter wrote:I just looked again at Poseidon's list and something struck me. Regarding Daniels, our QB commit, his offers are from Purdue, USAFA and Navy. That is, two triple-option offenses and one throw-it-around-the-yard-type of offense. No big deal, just struck me how different those offenses are from one another and the talent it takes to run either one.

Look forward to seeing what Daniels can do.
Interesting. Always possible Purdue offer is for "ATH" or a non-QB spot too.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

not sure about a couple of those. An offer from Troy is nothing to turn your nose up to these days and an offer from Tulsa that, at least on Offense, has run circles around a lot of teams (especially ours) makes that player pretty attractive (to me).
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Poseidon wrote:
I know kickers are usually afterthoughts for most programs, but the #1 punter in California (#4 nationally)? I'd think more than a handful of schools know who he is :-)
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
I know kickers are usually afterthoughts for most programs, but the #1 punter in California (#4 nationally)? I'd think more than a handful of schools know who he is :-)
But honestly, most schools only recruit a punter every couple of years, right? So it's not like we're fighting every major power school for him.

One could argue that playing for a school with a worse team (or at least offense) would be a better choice for a punter... More opportunities, right? :lol:
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
But honestly, most schools only recruit a punter every couple of years, right? So it's not like we're fighting every major power school for him.

One could argue that playing for a school with a worse team (or at least offense) would be a better choice for a punter... More opportunities, right? :lol:
:lol: :lol: Kinda negative but TRUE !!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Not to be a Negative Nellie, but from his camp films, it looks to me like he takes an extra step--scouts don't like that in a punter. Easier to block. Could be that he is more relaxed in his films. Would like to see game film. Also, there's more to a punter than just booming kicks--can he directionally kick the ball, can he punt them inside the 20/10 and so on...

Bottom line, you've got to trust the coaches' evaluations. Personally, a PK is much more important to us right now to use a scholly on. You can get by with a "rugby-style" punter. But that's just my opinion.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Look the most frequent poster on the other board has been relentlessly driving a narrative that Wright is too slow a punter and starting a needless brush fire here. It's consistent with their theme of always finding the lump of coal in the stocking. Joys of anonymous internet.

Facts only here: Tulane has a commitment from an athletic punter (he's a starting QB on the side) who is 6'3"/240 lbs. That's a lot of mass to drive the ball with the right technique. Like every other potential signee, he will be coached up at Tulane. I'm confident that he will improve under this staff.

You can't teach size and talent. I'm glad Tulane found this guy and didn't have to go to the South Pacific. Maybe in a couple of years as noted above, we'll have a punting team that is a field position changer whether he goes to rugby practice or not.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote:Look the most frequent poster on the other board has been relentlessly driving a narrative that Wright is too slow a punter and starting a needless brush fire here. It's consistent with their theme of always finding the lump of coal in the stocking. Joys of anonymous internet.

Facts only here: Tulane has a commitment from an athletic punter (he's a starting QB on the side) who is 6'3"/240 lbs. That's a lot of mass to drive the ball with the right technique. Like every other potential signee, he will be coached up at Tulane. I'm confident that he will improve under this staff.

You can't teach size and talent. I'm glad Tulane found this guy and didn't have to go to the South Pacific. Maybe in a couple of years as noted above, we'll have a punting team that is a field position changer whether he goes to rugby practice or not.
I hear ya, Bay. Am totally unaware of what goes on the other board. Just an uninformed, unprofessional (but with lots of experience) observation here. I agree with your overall opinion, I'm cautiously optimistic with a sprinkle of doubt. Again, it's tough to go on just non-game camp films.

Onward.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Roto, Understood. All good here. Best part is I think by any measure recruiting continues to improve under Fritz as well as on-field performance. As you correctly state. "Onward" to more success.
TXWave88
Navigator Level

Post by TXWave88 »

He is ranked #4 punter by Kohl's, which I know are there to make money so they inflate ratings because let's be honest, that is the point of these camps. But I would think that at these camps, the top 3 or top 5 really stand out. I timed (in my head) the kicks from the snap to the get-off and they seemd slower, but this is a camp. Snaps could have been slower as well. Do not truly know, but he is rated high. If I remember correctly, I think Kohl's actually rated Zach Block a better kicker than punter, but I could be wrong. Anyone remember his rating?

Below is a link of his 247 page that lists him as the #1 Punter in the country. Also shows highlight reel.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Wright-46040423
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I've come to the conclusion that kicking, whether its PK or punting, seems to be the hardest position to judge based on high school performance. After all Pepper, a 5 Star PK was a washout and on the other hand two of our best PK ever were a kid from Canada, Eddie Murray and a kid from Brazil, Cairo Santos.

hopefully our Coaches looked at this kid in person enough to conclude he was worth a scholie and not just go by film or what some kicking academy said.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:I've come to the conclusion that kicking, whether its PK or punting, seems to be the hardest position to judge based on high school performance. After all Pepper, a 5 Star PK was a washout and on the other hand two of our best PK ever were a kid from Canada, Eddie Murray and a kid from Brazil, Cairo Santos.

hopefully our Coaches looked at this kid in person enough to conclude he was worth a scholie and not just go by film or what some kicking academy said.
I agree with your post about all but one thing--QB is FAR more difficult to predict because of the demands of the position. Especially at the pro level.

I hope the coaches gave Wright a "Tulane" ball to punt with and see results, not just a HS ball.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Roto, I agree about QB but think its the mental side of the game, rather than the physical part, that trips so many up. After all you can measure height, arm strength, quickness, etc...........but can they pick up the nuances of a much more complicated college playbook, will they panic whe facing faster, more athletic defenders than they did in high school. Can thy decipher the much more complicated defenses he'll face in college and know the right set to call, etc.

with PK/Punting is a total crapshoot, IMO.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:I've come to the conclusion that kicking, whether its PK or punting, seems to be the hardest position to judge based on high school performance. After all Pepper, a 5 Star PK was a washout and on the other hand two of our best PK ever were a kid from Canada, Eddie Murray and a kid from Brazil, Cairo Santos.

I agree with your post about all but one thing--QB is FAR more difficult to predict because of the demands of the position. Especially at the pro level.

I hope the coaches gave Wright a "Tulane" ball to punt with and see results, not just a HS ball.
What are his stats, anyone know? Distance, hang time, etc.?
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

To make the eeyores of this board happy: I have firm evidence that, for the few punts he didn’t have blocked he averaged 10 yards per punt. Each was squibbed on the ground so no hang time. Good news was all were returned for TDS.
Good God, a bit negative about the #1 punter in the country, huh?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

1401973 wrote:To make the eeyores of this board happy: I have firm evidence that, for the few punts he didn’t have blocked he averaged 10 yards per punt. Each was squibbed on the ground so no hang time. Good news was all were returned for TDS.
HAH! Remember we don't read the other board. We don't read the other board. We don't read the other board.........
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I used to read it, then I used to read it every once in a while. I cannot remember the last time I visited there. I wish them all well.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

1401973 wrote:To make the eeyores of this board happy: I have firm evidence that, for the few punts he didn’t have blocked he averaged 10 yards per punt. Each was squibbed on the ground so no hang time. Good news was all were returned for TDS.
See Greeniebacker's post above, smart guy.

I truly hope this guy is as good as advertised. He seems to be. May we get ten more five* players all over the lineup. Hell, I hope this guy can play a great QB--can't hurt. But hope hope is not coaching or a strategy...