High school wrestling referree

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

High school wrestling referree

Unread post by TUPF »

Just did my first meet of the season last night. I really get a kick out of it. Keeps these old bones young.

What I don’t enjoy is sinking level of discourse we are all aware of, and especially at the high school sports level. Last night was a tri-meet with three teams wrestling multiple JV then varsity matches. During one early JV match when I was not the official, one match went to sudden victory after a tied regular match and was won by a visiting team wrestler by a takedown just as sudden victory time expired. The coach argued vociferously with the referee, dressing him down, and then he came over to me, bearing in mind that I was only partially watching because there were two mats in play, calling me out because I did not overturn the call. I ended the ranting by telling him “ one more word, Coach, and you are out of here.”

Firstly, I have been in a submarine on fire submerged under pack ice, so not a lot rattles me. Some high school coach is not going to get my goat. Secondly, the guy forgets that I am going to be doing many matches this season in his gym. Stupid? Yes. Will I hold a grudge? I shouldn’t.

Bad behavior by high school coaches models terrible behavior in front of athletes and parents. Most referees at this level barely get gas money and many leave rather than deal with the abuse. Me, I kind of enjoy the banter.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: High school wrestling referree

Unread post by waverider »

I don't know if I have the composure to be a ref in any sport. Once the coach starts arguing I would go right to calling out the team's deficiencies as the reason things aren't going his/her way :lol:

"He's 2 of 17 from the floor coach. They could give him open shots and he'd miss."

"Your receivers couldn't get open if I held the defenders for them"
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

TUPF wrote:Just did my first meet of the season last night. I really get a kick out of it. Keeps these old bones young.

What I don’t enjoy is sinking level of discourse we are all aware of, and especially at the high school sports level. Last night was a tri-meet with three teams wrestling multiple JV then varsity matches. During one early JV match when I was not the official, one match went to sudden victory after a tied regular match and was won by a visiting team wrestler by a takedown just as sudden victory time expired. The coach argued vociferously with the referee, dressing him down, and then he came over to me, bearing in mind that I was only partially watching because there were two mats in play, calling me out because I did not overturn the call. I ended the ranting by telling him “ one more word, Coach, and you are out of here.”

Firstly, I have been in a submarine on fire submerged under pack ice, so not a lot rattles me. Some high school coach is not going to get my goat. Secondly, the guy forgets that I am going to be doing many matches this season in his gym. Stupid? Yes. Will I hold a grudge? I shouldn’t.

Bad behavior by high school coaches models terrible behavior in front of athletes and parents. Most referees at this level barely get gas money and many leave rather than deal with the abuse. Me, I kind of enjoy the banter.
Stupid? Yes. Will I hold a grudge? I shouldn’t.
I think a :wink: is needed at the end of that ...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

sr wrote:
Stupid? Yes. Will I hold a grudge? I shouldn’t.
I think a :wink: is needed at the end of that ...
:wink:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium