MBB vs Tulsa

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: MBB vs Tulsa

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:...Even the announcers, who seemed to know nothing about our team except what was on the pregame fact sheet...
The pbp guy was Tim Grubbs, who has sat in for Graff many times, so he should have been more familiar than the average ESPN talking head.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:We played like doody

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
snowflake, we will have better days.
Nice of you to join in, back from Stark Vegas? Andy's balls all clean? If you had read the game thread you would know I am not disheartened. I know reading is hard for you. Isn't it time for you to have a sexual scrimmage aka go frick yourself?
snowflake with his usual rehashed rant over and over and over. surprise, surprise. settle down little snowflake and get some help for these pent up desires. perhaps 2018 will be your year for a breakthrough. we can only hope!
We can only hope you get into therapy.
snowflake (aka mr. dictionary), that is weak. keep something in the tank for midnight. and this fettish you have with Andy's nad's must stop!
Fettish? If you're going to mock me for being Mr. Dictionary at least spell everything correctly. AC is dead to me, you not so much.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
rjc
Breaker Level

Post by rjc »

Not the first time a zone defense has shut us down. Happened a lot last year also. We have not adjusted to it yet. A lot of standing around and jacking up a three. Looked like there was a little more movement in the 2nd half , but still no success .We will see this the rest of the season so he better come up a better plan than what he has shown so far. rjc
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Numerous open shots, and we just couldn’t hit them. We could have won this game - easily - if those early baskets had dropped.

Very, very disappointing to lose this one.

And all things considered, we had a pretty decent crowd at the game.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Very disappointing. I know MD doesn't have experience with zones and pressing. However he has assistants that do. They need to step up. We were all calling for us to press at the end but we don't seem to have it in place.
We deserve so much better
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

Crowd was great, considering there were no students in town and it was New Years Eve.

The officials were doody, but at the end of the day we were just outplayed. Our shot selection in the 2nd half (and really the whole game) was just absolutely pathetic. We were impatient and very soft, frankly. The rebounding numbers were terrible.

It sucks, but that was easily the best team we've played this season, besides UNC and FSU. They were athletic and very quick with the ball. You could tell the pace of the game at court level was unlike any game we've seen in Devlin this season.

It sucked having Melvin and others in foul trouble, but we still were in a position to win in the 2nd half. Just didn't get it done.

This was Melvin's worst game of the season. Foul trouble plagued him, he shot it poorly, he had some bad effort plays. Just a very bad game, overall.
I don't care what anyone says.. Melvin's attitude and body language needs to improve. He, Cam, and Jordan are the leaders of this team. Whenever Melvin lets his poor play affect his body language, it affects the entire team. He has to realize that he is a leader on this team, and he needs to embrace that role even when things aren't going his way.

Another huge game on Thursday. If we shoot the ball better, we can certainly win. I honestly don't think SMU is too much better than Tulsa, if at all. They do play good defense, so it could be another slugfest.

Roll Wave
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

As to Frazier he was not in foul trouble all day. He got two early but ended with only 3. He needs to understand who he is as a player. He is not a good outside shooter. He had a little streak against weak competition early but he's not a good shooter. He needs to attack the goal. He also needs to understand that style points don't count. Only made baskets do. He should be mature enough now to understand that and he should have made that dunk and changed the momentum in our favor. Tulsa is not a good team . We had no business losing to them at home. It says more about us than it does them.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Dunleavy said it. “We were soft.”
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

SMU will require our best effort of the year; They would beat Tulsa by 20+ points 9 out of 10 times.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Dunleavy said it. “We were soft.”
He was being generous
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

I could not agree more re: Melvin's attitude. He's too good of a player to allow himself to get down like he did yesterday. Until we decide to / learn to defend the rim and rebound, inconsistency will rule.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

There will be nights where it all clicks like at Temple. There will be other nights where we look terrible. It’s normal for an improving team. As long as the effort is there every night it’s fine. Yesterday was disappointing because the effort wasn’t there. We didn’t box out and they seemed to get all the loose balls.

Regarding Frazier, he is very talented and the light went on about half way through last year. He has improved his shooting from the outside immensely and has become a good foul shooter. His biggest offensive strengths are getting to the basket and finishing on the break. He needs to remember that and not fall in love with his jump shot. He is also a great defender.

He’s had a great start to the year and will be even better next year. We will go as far as he takes us next year. All that being said, it was laughable for somebody to post that he would go down as the best Tulane player since Hot Rod.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

StPeteWave wrote:I could not agree more re: Melvin's attitude. He's too good of a player to allow himself to get down like he did yesterday. Until we decide to / learn to defend the rim and rebound, inconsistency will rule.
You could see it on his face that the rough game was getting to him.. a clear indication it just wasn't his day was the dunk that he missed late in the 2nd half... with Reynolds and Frazier both ice cold, there wasn't a team above RPI300 we were going to beat yesterday.... watch film, learn, move on. Give SMU he77!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

wavedom wrote:Tulsa is not a good team . We had no business losing to them at home. It says more about us than it does them.
That's just inaccurate.

We were 1.5-point favorites. Tulsa has a win over Kansas State (a likely NCAA Tournament team), and a close loss to Iowa State.

They are a very, very capable team. Like I said, we haven't seen a game with anywhere close to the pace and speed like that in Devlin all season.

The fact that we struggled so much and were still able to stay in the game until the end tells me a lot. Tulsa could have EASILY won that game by 20 points yesterday.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TulaneTiger wrote:
wavedom wrote:Tulsa is not a good team . We had no business losing to them at home. It says more about us than it does them.
That's just inaccurate.

We were 1.5-point favorites. Tulsa has a win over Kansas State (a likely NCAA Tournament team), and a close loss to Iowa State.

They are a very, very capable team. Like I said, we haven't seen a game with anywhere close to the pace and speed like that in Devlin all season.

The fact that we struggled so much and were still able to stay in the game until the end tells me a lot. Tulsa could have EASILY won that game by 20 points yesterday.
It's very accurate. K-State and Iowa St. are picked to finish near the bottom of their league. K- State's record is based on beating nobodies. Same for Iowa St.. In fact despite their records neither is getting so much as a vote for the top 25. It's right out of Dickson's scheduling. We are the team that played with pace. They played half court offense.

As to the line that's just more proof that they aren't good. A good team would have beat us by 20 more more yesterday. Just more proof that Tulsa is not good. The game is proof that we are going to be an inconsistent team.