UCF beats Auburn, goes undefeated

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

UCF beats Auburn, goes undefeated

Post by PeteRasche »

Sorta 20/20 hindsight, but playing the commutative property game, UCF deserved to be in the CFP.

It will be interesting to see where they start next year in the rankings. It's pretty much proven now that the only way a G5 has a shot at the CFP is to go undefeated, return virtually everyone so that they are highly ranked in the preseason, then go undefeated again. It's never been done (obviously) and with Frost leaving, UCF probably won't get that preseason ranking next year.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: UCF beats Auburn, goes undefeated

Post by 1309th WAVE »

2016 Houston would've gotten in because of the Oklahoma and Louisville wins. 2018 UCF has:
09/15 - at North Carolina
09/22 - Florida Atlantic
09/29 - Pittsburgh
TBA - South Carolina State

Will any of those move the needle? ...Is FAU the best team in that bunch?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Memphis came within a whisker of beating their P5 opponent, Army beat the best G5 team outside the AAC, Navy humiliated their P5 opponent and UCF beat the Team that beat playoffs bound Alabama and played in the SEC Conference Championship*. I wonder when the realization will kick in that in the AAC a one or even two game losing team is worthy of playing in a New Years Eve/Day Bowl.

*I guess I need to pay more attention to the SEC :lol:
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

GreenieBacker wrote:Memphis came within a whisker of beating their P5 opponent, Army beat the best G5 team outside the AAC, Navy humiliated their P5 opponent and UCF beat the SEC Conference champ. I wonder when the realization will kick in that in the AAC a one or even two game losing team is worthy of playing in a New Years Eve/Day Bowl.
Georgia is the SEC champ.
Victory is never permanent
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

i am sure they will say Auburn wasn't motivated. bunch of hooey.

UCF beat a team that beat two of the playoff teams.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

It will be tough sledding to be recognized as competitive with the power (pissy 5 ) . Too bad this country has more important stuff to deal with than the impropriety of the bcs. I do believe that Mike Arenco has made some in roads and the longer this league stays together, the better chance we have to break through. How were the announcers today, could not listen in.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

The AAC has a good run this year. Really only SMU laid an egg I think
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

3-1 against P5 schools. I think 4-3 overall. SMU, Houston, and Memphis all lost, but Memphis and Houston were in their games. The win against Auburn more than makes up for the losses though.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Congratulations to the True NCAA Football National Champions the undefeated Golden Knights of Central Florida!!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

It screams for 6 team playoff and automatic bid to highest ranked unbeaten non P5 team.

It would have been #3 Georgia vs #6 UCF and #4 Alabama vs #5 Ohio State with Oklahoma and Clemson getting byes.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

NJwave wrote:It screams for 6 team playoff and automatic bid to highest ranked unbeaten non P5 team.

It would have been #3 Georgia vs #6 UCF and #4 Alabama vs #5 Ohio State with Oklahoma and Clemson getting byes.
:!: :!: :!:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

8 teams solves it all but we've discussed that here before.

Houston would have gotten in a couple of years ago because they were highly ranked going into the season, and beat Oklahoma and Louisville... but they choked it away in other games and never had the chance to find out.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Have an NCAA championship

If you win your conference, you get a bid.

As of now that’s ten conference champs.
You could have two at large teams in a 12 team format with the top four teams receiving byes or
you could have six at large teams in a 16 team format with the lower seeds getting first round home games.

Either way, everyone has a chance (win your conference) and the big boys will still have a big advantage.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

The exact reason we should have a 16 team fbs playoff with conference champs getting an auto bid is the exact reason the so called power five will fight it all costs - it gives every team a chance to rise or fall on its own merits and takes away the recruiting advantage a rigged system gives those on the inside.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wavefan wrote:The exact reason we should have a 16 team fbs playoff with conference champs getting an auto bid is the exact reason the so called power five will fight it all costs - it gives every team a chance to rise or fall on its own merits and takes away the recruiting advantage a rigged system gives those on the inside.
You can say that again!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

This is FAKE NEWS!!! UCF could NOT have won.
As was mentioned 20+ times on the broadcast, UCF did not have the depth and numbers of their mighty SEC opponent.
We all saw that UCF was physically manhandled. They only outscored Auburn in the 4th by 7. That's how beaten up and worn down they were.
UCF was gashed for an overwhelming 90 rushing yards by the Tigers.
C'mon man - not even a contest.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I think you'd see some other problems with a 16 team playoff even ignoring the fact that the "P5" will never go for it. For one thing, it would have to start when bowl season begins (Dec. 16th this year) in order to finish when the current title game is played. If you start then, I don't think it would be long before all the lesser bowls fold or are otherwise included as playoff games, like the NY6 games are now.

When that occurs, there's no more postseason for anyone but those 16 teams. The "too many bowls" crowd may be ok with that, but it eliminates any exposure for the other 114 teams in FBS. That would be leaving some good and entertaining teams on the sidelines. Personally, I'd hate to see us go 11-1, lose our conference championship game and be left out of the post season altogether.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

I watched the replay of our Liberty Bowl win to cap off the undefeated season. The announcers mentioned several times that this was one of only two bowl games with an undefeated team. And what a shame that Tulane didn't get a chance to compete for the NC. Of course, if there were a four team playoff, then certainly an undefeated team would be included.

Well, now we see a four team playoff and UCF still excluded. As long as there is a subjective standard, we can count on nonP5 teams being excluded.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

I like that Frost called out the committee. He took a brave stand given that at Nebraska he may need the committee's help some day.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

MNAlum wrote:I like that Frost called out the committee. He took a brave stand given that at Nebraska he may need the committee's help some day.
:!: :!:
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

If you have conferences? I like all conf. champs in a playoff. Get rid of power 5. Make the conferences more relevant. Reduce the seasons to 9 games plus bowls (playoffs) to take less a toll on player's bodies. Stop the financial arms race

I know all this is a pipe dream with the almighty $ being the esteeming factor. We need to be on a position to influence the BCS in a few Yeats when they revamp the current structure.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

1401973 wrote:This is FAKE NEWS!!! UCF could NOT have won.
As was mentioned 20+ times on the broadcast, UCF did not have the depth and numbers of their mighty SEC opponent.
We all saw that UCF was physically manhandled. They only outscored Auburn in the 4th by 7. That's how beaten up and worn down they were.
UCF was gashed for an overwhelming 90 rushing yards by the Tigers.
C'mon man - not even a contest.
Plus with UCF's coaches already recruiting for Nebraska there's no way they were focused enough to win :roll:

Every sec fan: Auburn didn't care about that game.

Btw, UCF AD Danny White said they will raise a national championship banner, pay Frost and staff their NC bonus and is ordering NC merchandise to sell.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

RI WAVE wrote:If you have conferences? I like all conf. champs in a playoff. Get rid of power 5. Make the conferences more relevant. Reduce the seasons to 9 games plus bowls (playoffs) to take less a toll on player's bodies. Stop the financial arms race

I know all this is a pipe dream with the almighty $ being the esteeming factor. We need to be on a position to influence the BCS in a few Yeats when they revamp the current structure.
I would prefer to see the conferences made LESS relevant--even to the point of eliminating them altogether. If every team was Independent, everyone's record would stand for itself, and a national championship playoff would be more meaningful.

Again this year, as in '98, the "National Championship" will be declared without even giving the best team a chance to participate, because of the cartel nature of the conference bullies.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I think you'd see some other problems with a 16 team playoff even ignoring the fact that the "P5" will never go for it. For one thing, it would have to start when bowl season begins (Dec. 16th this year) in order to finish when the current title game is played. If you start then, I don't think it would be long before all the lesser bowls fold or are otherwise included as playoff games, like the NY6 games are now.

When that occurs, there's no more postseason for anyone but those 16 teams. The "too many bowls" crowd may be ok with that, but it eliminates any exposure for the other 114 teams in FBS. That would be leaving some good and entertaining teams on the sidelines. Personally, I'd hate to see us go 11-1, lose our conference championship game and be left out of the post season altogether.
Or
Eight first round games at home of lower seed (Dec 15ish if you want to have a Christmas break)

Four quarter final games at four bowl sites (Jan 1ish)

Two semi-final games at two bowl sites (Jan 8ish)

One championship game at site of winning bid (Jan 15ish)

Just speculating here, but the NY6 could have the quarter and semi-final rounds, leaving something like 24 bowls that could be played with teams from a pool of either all but the final eight or all but the final sixteen schools.

Bowls could be scheduled anytime before Jan. 9ish.

Just my two pennies
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

BC Wave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:I think you'd see some other problems with a 16 team playoff even ignoring the fact that the "P5" will never go for it. For one thing, it would have to start when bowl season begins (Dec. 16th this year) in order to finish when the current title game is played. If you start then, I don't think it would be long before all the lesser bowls fold or are otherwise included as playoff games, like the NY6 games are now.

Or
Eight first round games at home of lower seed (Dec 15ish if you want to have a Christmas break)

Four quarter final games at four bowl sites (Jan 1ish)

Two semi-final games at two bowl sites (Jan 8ish)

One championship game at site of winning bid (Jan 15ish)

Just speculating here, but the NY6 could have the quarter and semi-final rounds, leaving something like 24 bowls that could be played with teams from a pool of either all but the final eight or all but the final sixteen schools.

Bowls could be scheduled anytime before Jan. 9ish.

Just my two pennies
If they wanted to, they could even establish a football "NIT."