Coaching salaraies soaring (again)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Coaching salaraies soaring (again)

Post by noladave »

The Texas A&M coaching issue is creating incredible upward pressure on coaching salaries. LSU just had to give a huge raise to Aranda, to keep him away from A&M. $2 mil per year, 4 yr guarantee for a coordinator.

We (Tulane) need to get fundraising, and get that Football operations center built.

Between facilities, and coaching salaries - keep up with the Jones’s baby...
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Coaching salaraies soaring (again)

Post by sr »

Yeah, he really took care of ND. What fools lsu are. Sorry don't mean to state the obvious.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

noladave wrote:
Between facilities, and coaching salaries - keep up with the Jones’s baby...
Or there needs to be a slowdown in spending in college athletics. The current pace is not sustainable and I see a lot of state governments being forced to skip some of the amenities and upgrades especially as ticket sales declineand TV packages slim down.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

sr wrote:Yeah, he really took care of ND. What fools lsu are. Sorry don't mean to state the obvious.
Or maybe they kept an in house replacement for Big O when he gets fired next November after losing to Bama for the 8th straight time.
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

noladave wrote:Between facilities, and coaching salaries - keep up with the Jones’s baby...
That is virtually impossible without P5 money.
windywave wrote:Or there needs to be a slowdown in spending in college athletics. The current pace is not sustainable and I see a lot of state governments being forced to skip some of the amenities and upgrades especially as ticket sales declineand TV packages slim down.
This is the logical answer, but "logical" and "NCAA athletics" have not mutually coexisted in a long time.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:
noladave wrote:Between facilities, and coaching salaries - keep up with the Jones’s baby...
windywave wrote:Or there needs to be a slowdown in spending in college athletics. The current pace is not sustainable and I see a lot of state governments being forced to skip some of the amenities and upgrades especially as ticket sales declineand TV packages slim down.
This is the logical answer, but "logical" and "NCAA athletics" have not mutually coexisted in a long time.
It also shows that the admins and power brokers that were up arms in about the new tax law 'doom and gloom 'were full of it. If that was the case and now they go out and pay a DC this salary they are either lying or grossly incompetent.
Last edited by Poseidon on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

As we get older we all want to believe that things can't sustain and have to change. Unfortunately that's not usually how it turns out. LSU athletics fully supports itself through TV money, all the revenue off of tickets, merchandise and most importantly TAF donations. For some time they have been giving the school several million dollars a year. So are they the exception of the P5 schools or are they just one of many that do this ? As for Aranda Orgeron took a much lower salary so they could hire top flight assistants. Orgeron makes $3.5 million and Aranda will get $2.5 million.
We deserve so much better
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
It also shows that the admins and power brokers that were up arms in about the new tax law 'doom and gloom 'were full of it. If that was the case and now they go out and pay a DC this salary they are either lying or grossly incompetent.
Ummmm....LoSer-U administration. Lazy river, anyone? While they may or may not be lying, I think we can take "grossly incompetent" and LoSer-U as understood.... :mrgreen:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
It also shows that the admins and power brokers that were up arms in about the new tax law 'doom and gloom 'were full of it.
Ding ding ding!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:As we get older we all want to believe that things can't sustain and have to change. Unfortunately that's not usually how it turns out. LSU athletics fully supports itself through TV money, all the revenue off of tickets, merchandise and most importantly TAF donations. For some time they have been giving the school several million dollars a year. So are they the exception of the P5 schools or are they just one of many that do this ? As for Aranda Orgeron took a much lower salary so they could hire top flight assistants. Orgeron makes $3.5 million and Aranda will get $2.5 million.
Schools at that level are as profitable as they want to be.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:As we get older we all want to believe that things can't sustain and have to change. Unfortunately that's not usually how it turns out. LSU athletics fully supports itself through TV money, all the revenue off of tickets, merchandise and most importantly TAF donations. For some time they have been giving the school several million dollars a year. So are they the exception of the P5 schools or are they just one of many that do this ? As for Aranda Orgeron took a much lower salary so they could hire top flight assistants. Orgeron makes $3.5 million and Aranda will get $2.5 million.
I believe lsu is one of only a few athletic programs that actually makes money each year. I’m basing that off a report from about 5 years ago so I don’t know how the landscape looks now.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:
I believe lsu is one of only a few athletic programs that actually makes money each year. I’m basing that off a report from about 5 years ago so I don’t know how the landscape looks now.
A lot of that is an accounting trick. I think there were only two true programs that were in the black (again from a few years ago) Texas and Ohio State.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count