Brett McMurphy vs Troy Dannen

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Brett McMurphy vs Troy Dannen

Post by WaveProf »

McMurphy just tweeted, mockingly: "belated congratulations to Tulane's 1998 national champions"

Troy Dannen immediately quoted the tweet with "Thanks, Brett. #RollNationalChampionWave"

And someone (NOT me) has updated our wikipedia entry to reflect a national championship in 1998.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tula ... tball_team
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: Brett McMurphy vs Troy Dannen

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:...And someone (NOT me) has updated our wikipedia entry to reflect a national championship in 1998.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tula ... tball_team
And now, it appears that some deluded individual has maliciously removed that reference.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Its still up Roller
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Um... Y'all know that ANYONE can write anything they want on Wikipedia at any time, right?

P.S. Who is Brett McMurphy?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Its still up Roller
Your cache must not be updating because it's currently worded with a strong "Tulane didn't deserve a chance" bent.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Its still up Roller
Your cache must not be updating because it's currently worded with a strong "Tulane didn't deserve a chance" bent.
Exactly. It's a short article and I have re-read it at least 20 times. There is no reflection of a national championship for Tulane. It was edited by some "Power
Five" sycophant, to erase the bottom line.

As has been oft-stated, however, the championship is a mythical one, determine by subjective measures and biased toward the bigger schools. Therefore, the pundits can claim the fiction that Alabama and Georgia had "tougher" schedules than UCF, and completely ignore that UCF beat the team that beat both of them, and that NOBODY, weak or tough, demonstrated that they had the ability to beat UCF.

On edit: I went through all of the changes to the article, back to August, 2017, and in none of the 6 or so prior versions what there any allusion to Tulane's legitimate claim to the championship. At least that far back, the article clearly has been saying that Tulane was not worthy of consideration.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Someone did insert National Champion on top of the box on the right side. However someone needs to completely rewrite the text. That team deserves better.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m guessing by now most of you have seen this. The story isn’t real but apparently the number of preorders for the shirt (which is real) far exceeded expectations.

Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

A friend and I actually had shirts not unlike that printed after the season. We took orders from the group of 54 folks that sat with us at the bowl game, as well as friends and significant others. I think the final order was just shy of 100 shirts.

I had completely forgotten about them until I saw that (above) posted on Facebook this morning...

I think my wife still might have hers. Mine was too small from the moment it arrived and I think I gave it away without ever getting to wear it. I'll ask her if she has hers and try to post photos. It played on the "Unheralded, unloved.... UNDEFEATED" theme. Had the schedule and results on the back similar to the front of the drawing above.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Wikipedia also failed to list a number of our players on that team who went to the NFL. They only listed Shaun King and Dennis O'Sullivan. Didn't P.J. Franklin, JaJuan Dawson, and others go on to the NFL?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

BTW, the Campus Connection shirt story went national... a friend texted me the story from the NBC Sports website yesterday (as though I didn't already know about it... :lol: :lol: )
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

I still don't know who Brett McMurphy is.
Victory is never permanent
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I think it’s someone that was fired/laid off by ESPN.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Luvs da Wave wrote:Wikipedia also failed to list a number of our players on that team who went to the NFL. They only listed Shaun King and Dennis O'Sullivan. Didn't P.J. Franklin, JaJuan Dawson, and others go on to the NFL?

I'm not mistaken, Bernard Robertson, too. Ramsey was on the team but obviously didn't play. Dawson went to the NFL for sure, not Franklin--too small. Our defensive players were too small for the era, but they could run and hit you, which might work today. Underrated.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Franklin had a cup of coffee with the Saints.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

GreenieBacker wrote:I think it’s someone that was fired/laid off by ESPN.
That narrows it down! :lol:
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:BTW, the Campus Connection shirt story went national... a friend texted me the story from the NBC Sports website yesterday (as though I didn't already know about it... :lol: :lol: )
He tweeted that the website traffic was blowing up after the article. Joking that “100 people were on at one time, 99 more than usual”!
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:BTW, the Campus Connection shirt story went national... a friend texted me the story from the NBC Sports website yesterday (as though I didn't already know about it... :lol: :lol: )
He tweeted that the website traffic was blowing up after the article. Joking that “100 people were on at one time, 99 more than usual”!
As a friend texted last night (another who was copied on the national story text chain), "it's a great idea, too bad the shirt is so horribly ugly".
(and I have to agree :angel: )
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
As a friend texted last night (another who was copied on the national story text chain), "it's a great idea, too bad the shirt is so horribly ugly".
It is an ugly shirt.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
It is an ugly shirt.
I agree. I ordered one anyway, for the novelty of it, but I am hoping the actual green is darker.

A childhood friend of mine who is a lifelong LSU fan texted me to say he’s hoping to get one in time to wear to Disney in a few weeks.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
It is an ugly shirt.
I did find this blurb in one of the stories about the shirt. So I guess we should cut them a little slack...
They patterned the shirt after a 1995 Nebraska championship shirt design found online, all to better make the Tulane shirt look like it actually was created in the 1990s, complete with oversized lettering across the front and a full schedule with scores listed down the back.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

PeteRasche wrote:A friend and I actually had shirts not unlike that printed after the season. We took orders from the group of 54 folks that sat with us at the bowl game, as well as friends and significant others. I think the final order was just shy of 100 shirts.

I had completely forgotten about them until I saw that (above) posted on Facebook this morning...

I think my wife still might have hers. Mine was too small from the moment it arrived and I think I gave it away without ever getting to wear it. I'll ask her if she has hers and try to post photos. It played on the "Unheralded, unloved.... UNDEFEATED" theme. Had the schedule and results on the back similar to the front of the drawing above.
I was totally unaware that I had a "group of folks". :roll: :lol:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
It is an ugly shirt.
I did find this blurb in one of the stories about the shirt. So I guess we should cut them a little slack...
They patterned the shirt after a 1995 Nebraska championship shirt design found online, all to better make the Tulane shirt look like it actually was created in the 1990s, complete with oversized lettering across the front and a full schedule with scores listed down the back.
Shouldn't the helmet be green?