MBB vs SMU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: MBB vs SMU

Post by Baywave1 »

NJwave wrote:
Sehic needs to play more. We are just better offensively with him on the floor.
I think coach has been sending a message to Sehic about his shot selection which was demonstrably better tonight so he played more. None the less, Sehic is an Osetkowski type player. There are some situations where he simply doesn't match up well with a very athletic opposing player(s) even if he has a height advantage and better apparent offensive skills.

However he has made himself the best FT shooter on the team and so he played tonight at the end (and contributed massively) when that skill mattered in a close game. Tulane's FT shooting overall simply outpointed SMU's. Tulane won on this fundamental skill.

Refereeing tonight was horrible for both teams. At game end, how far did that SMU guy slide on his backside when no walking was called and then a foul on Tulane trying to tie him up?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I was really frustrated with this game, as Tulane was completely lost in the press - guys were arguing with each other, the coaches, and were just out of wack. I think future teams are going to press us a lot, because we really don’t know how to get out of it. We pick up the dribble, and then are caught trying to find someone to pass, and half the time, those guys are just standing there, not moving.

Not sure what snapped, maybe it was going smaller, or maybe SMU just gave up on the press, but whatever it was, that’s how we won the game. That, and the shots started falling.

Great win, very stressful on the heart..
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

Baywave1 wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Refereeing tonight was horrible for both teams. At game end, how far did that SMU guy slide on his backside when no walking was called and then a foul on Tulane trying to tie him up?
On the broadcast, they said this was not the selected ref crew (due to winter weather travel issues), and they had to find replacements.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Well that was fun. Good to see us bounce back. We didn't win this game at the FT line. We didn't overcome that 12 point deficit there. We came back and won because we are starting to learn how to attack the zone. Got buckets going down there and then when they collapsed they were kicking it out to open shooters. That's the big take from the game. Beat Memphis and we should have on heck of a crowd for UConn.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

wavedom wrote: We didn't win this game at the FT line.
Well when you win or lose a close game by definition everything matters. So in that sense every one is right in choosing to emphasize what they found important in the victory.

Meanwhile Tulane shot 90% FT making 18 while SMU shot about 70% making 15. Positive edge of three makes for Tulane. Also Tulane made every FT in 2cd half including a critical four straight from Sehic until Reynolds miss with less than one second left while SMU missed its last two (and only) FT attempts in final three minutes which were each the front end of one-and-ones.

So from here it's the FTs.
enviro5609
Navigator Level

Post by enviro5609 »

Just as we hit others for not giving Tulane enough credit, Tulsa is looking legit. That’s my take away. I don’t think we played a poor game as much as Tulsa executed their zone defense impeccably. They have a tough D, and it is showing in their conference play. We will have similar difficulties with cincy, but other than that I think we can beat any team left on schedule, even Witchita St.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I had a hockey game last night and missed the whole thing... oddly, all of my missed and partially missed games to this point were awful losses.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

What?! I turned the game off down 12 on the second half when my cold medicine knocked me out! Damnit! Yay!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:
wavedom wrote: We didn't win this game at the FT line.
Well when you win or lose a close game by definition everything matters. So in that sense every one is right in choosing to emphasize what they found important in the victory.

Meanwhile Tulane shot 90% FT making 18 while SMU shot about 70% making 15. Positive edge of three makes for Tulane. Also Tulane made every FT in 2cd half including a critical four straight from Sehic until Reynolds miss with less than one second left while SMU missed its last two (and only) FT attempts in final three minutes which were each the front end of one-and-ones.

So from here it's the FTs.
How did we get to take all those FT's? By learning how to attack the zone. We attacked the goal which helped us draw fouls. We have all agreed that our inability to handle a zone defense has been a big negative under MD. Last night we finally showed signs of knowing how to deal with it. That's why it's the big take from this game.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:What?! I turned the game off down 12 on the second half when my cold medicine knocked me out! Damnit! Yay!
That makes two of us!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

P.S. In case you missed it, Cincinnati was getting thoroughly whipped at Temple last night until the final few minutes when they came back (partly thanks to Temple's coach "accidentally" knocking a water bottle across the court and getting a technical foul). Cincinnati won by two on a jumper with 0.4 seconds left.
pearlriverwave
Navigator Level

Post by pearlriverwave »

this is how you get people in the stands
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

pearlriverwave wrote:this is how you get people in the stands
You really want people in the stands? Beat Memphis and you'll get a good turnout for UConn, especially since so many Tulane students are from that area. Then BEAT UCONN. That's the key. We haven't won a big home game against a name opponent *after winning previous games to stir interest* in like, I dunno, over two decades.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:What?! I turned the game off down 12 on the second half when my cold medicine knocked me out! Damnit! Yay!
That makes two of us!
Commiserations abound. About 1 out every 5 people I know including yours truly has prayed to the porcelain god since Christmas.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:Great win. Down 12, we went on a 20-6 run to go up by 6. Held on at the end.
Hmmm
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The scoreboard last night during some timeouts was pasted with #BanksWasIn
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

PeteRasche wrote:
pearlriverwave wrote:this is how you get people in the stands
You really want people in the stands? Beat Memphis and you'll get a good turnout for UConn, especially since so many Tulane students are from that area. Then BEAT UCONN. That's the key. We haven't won a big home game against a name opponent *after winning previous games to stir interest* in like, I dunno, over two decades.
Or you could have Jackie Moon wrestle a bear
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

WaveProf wrote:The scoreboard last night during some timeouts was pasted with #BanksWasIn
I was hoping for some SMU signage at the game. Didn't see any watching the broadcast.

The view from Dallas --
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/colleg ... ac-matchup

http://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/sm ... -to-tulane
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Oh man. I finally get something to brag about at work and the LSU guy wants to talk about how they almost beat Kentucky. :lol:
Victory is never permanent
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Cam (and the team) was having a second straight game of poor shooting, settling on threes that weren’t going in. Then in the second half he started going down low and could get good spacing on 8-12 footers. As those were going in, he gained confidence to start hitting three pointers. It wasn’t only Cam, but he led the surge.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Daniels and Frazier, Reynolds and Sehic.
Daniels with a key offensive rebound and then getting fouled as he went back up with it, which led to FTs at a crucial time in the 2nd half.
Daniels also had a key 3 pter and a nice 15 ft jumper in the surge.
Reynolds with back to back 3's and all those post up moves.
Frazier with his dunk, plus his leaning jumper in the lane that put Tulane up 68-66 and a trifecta of assists during the second half surge.
Sehic with a big rebound and all those lovely FTs.
ClearWaterWave
Navigator Level

Post by ClearWaterWave »

I got up to take dogs out at that moment, sent them to bed and took one last glance at tube. Sat back down. OH MY!
What a game!!
Good old timers crowd!!
Roll Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:Oh man. I finally get something to brag about at work and the LSU guy wants to talk about how they almost beat Kentucky. :lol:
Just remind him we actually played them this year and of the result.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

randymc wrote:Daniels and Frazier, Reynolds and Sehic.
Daniels with a key offensive rebound and then getting fouled as he went back up with it, which led to FTs at a crucial time in the 2nd half.
Daniels also had a key 3 pter and a nice 15 ft jumper in the surge.
Reynolds with back to back 3's and all those post up moves.
Frazier with his dunk, plus his leaning jumper in the lane that put Tulane up 68-66 and a trifecta of assists during the second half surge.
Sehic with a big rebound and all those lovely FTs.

Can you, or anyone else, tell me how we attacked the zone defense of SMU? Specifically, did we beat them with open-look jumpers or with more movement in the paint than just one guy?

Sehic is overmatched as a 5, but can create his own shot as a 4. He is a good inside player, IMO, just not against a legit Center.
Plan your work, work your plan.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

We won the game with effort and the belief that we could win. We haven't had that in many years.

We made half time adjustments and started posting up Reynolds and Ona-Embo against the smaller guard which led to some inside scoring and better looks from 3. We got hot from 3 partially because the looks were in rhythm and not as forced. We also got some easy points in transition which is key for us.

We didn't attack their press well at all in the first half and were still way too stagnant against the zone when they played it.

Nobody should play us man to man, but some teams in our league see Tulane on our uniforms and figure they can just do what they want.

We desperately need more rebounding and inside scoring from our big men which is why Sehic should play more than Paul. Paul has been terrific blocking shots but is not a great rebounder and can't score consistently.

I can't believe the freshman big guys haven't put on tons of weight yet. It's New Orleans. How do you not gain weight?