MBB vs Memphis we lose 95-89

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

MBB vs Memphis we lose 95-89

Post by RI WAVE »

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 8e0c9.html

Advocate weighs in, looks like we have a chance to continue to surprise some folks! Roll Wave
Last edited by RI WAVE on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Re: MBB vs Memphis

Post by RI WAVE »

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Both Memphis and UCONN are down and will finish in the bottom half of the league. It’s time to pay both of them back and show we are legit.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

RI WAVE wrote:http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 8e0c9.html

Advocate weighs in, looks like we have a chance to continue to surprise some folks! Roll Wave
When the Tulane men’s basketball team beat Georgia Tech to improve to 9-0 six years ago, the players celebrated at midcourt as if they had had won the national championship.
It did not matter that the Green Wave entered as the betting favorite. The Yellow Jackets, who would finish 11-20, were a name team, and Tulane was not used to beating opponents with pedigree.
Contrast that celebration with the Wave’s low-key approach after rallying to beat defending American Athletic Conference champion SMU on Thursday. No one danced or jumped up and down or even hugged. The players simply walked to the hand-shake line before gathering to sing the alma mater, as they do at the end of every game.

It is all about expectations. The 2011-12 team lost to Wofford three days after beating Georgia Tech and went a woeful 3-13 in Conference USA.
Victory is never permanent
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Yup, need to take care of business when there is no reason not to make it happen! Let’s see how far the maturation process has come so far in 2018! Roll Wave.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Big game; need to play 2 (or more) good games in a row.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Memphis like SMU has a lot of new players- They are beginning to play better together- It is important to play well early
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

lets hope that Tulsa was an aberration and that they are now focused on the reality that you have to show up every night and make it happen! needless to say - they are fun to watch! Hope they get a nice crowd for U-Conn - a win tonight will help bring some folks back to Devlin! would love to see that place "rockin" again!
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

There are no easy games in our league, but a good team should beat Memphis and UCONN. Their names mean something so maybe it would help draw.

These two games are huge but we should be disappointed if we don’t win both.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Game on ESPN N. Now... Roll Wave
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Great comeback but just a really bad effort. Defense was awful. We have to play defense every night to win. We really need a point guard and a scoring big man. Ona-Embo plays more like a 2 sometimes.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

They can play when they want to. Started cold, again! They like to close and have the talent. Build consistency any they will win some of these in the future!
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Re: MBB vs Memphis we lose 95-89

Post by RI WAVE »

I want to be there the next time they (Memphis) visit Devlin. MD and Tubby had some words, Tech. on MD when Refs missed a call and reversed themselves. The announcers had no explanation and could not defend the call. They (tiggers) shortly after hammer Frazier on a pick with an obvious forearm to his chin- no call.

Our team will be ready next time around and will not spot them a 20 point lead early. Frazier gets cramps after becoming the go to guy..then others take over with numerous long bombs. We need to stop the bleeding early and start playing D from the get go, and this team will be fine! Build consistency! The announcers are praising the competitiveness of a team that has been a doormat for way to long. I am still jazzed, MD is taking a lot of new parts and they are starting to gel. We will get better! Future is bright...
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

RI WAVE wrote:I want to be there the next time they (Memphis) visit Devlin. MD and Tubby had some words, Tech. on MD when Refs missed a call and reversed themselves. The announcers had no explanation and could not defend the call. They (tiggers) shortly after hammer Frazier on a pick with an obvious forearm to his chin- no call.

Our team will be ready next time around and will not spot them a 20 point lead early. Frazier gets cramps after becoming the go to guy..then others take over with numerous long bombs. We need to stop the bleeding early and start playing D from the get go, and this team will be fine! Build consistency! The announcers are praising the competitiveness of a team that has been a doormat for way to long. I am still jazzed, MD is taking a lot of new parts and they are starting to gel. We will get better! Future is bright...
I imagine the conversation with Tubby went thusly:
MD: c'mon Tubs, you know that was a BS T. Have your boy roll the ball up there.
Tubby: you know I haven't been able to win for reals since I was at Kentucky. Now I gotta put up with being a reverse Calipari. Don't make a mockery of me, sir.
MD: you don't need me for that one
Tubs o fun: at least I have hair!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

We have improved so much and are fun to watch. We aren’t good enough to just show up and expect to win.

We will have bad shooting nights or run in to an opponent that can’t miss, but the effort needs to be there every night. We gave up 50 in the first half and almost 100 for the game against a team that is very limited offensively. There were a few guys that made no effort to guard anybody and didn’t attempt to box out. There is no excuse for that and it was very disheartening to see.

Guys like Cornish, Frazier and Reynolds bring the effort every night no matter what. We were down 20 when Cornish missed a shot turned around and saw the ball on the ground and dove like 10 feet to get the loose ball. That’s the kind of effort we need to win.
ClearWaterWave
Navigator Level

Post by ClearWaterWave »

Slow start, bad FG %.
Great finish just started too late.
Start strong and we win that one.
Roll Wave
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

First, the dunleavy Smith exchange didn't look acrimonious to me.

Second... this team fights and I love it... but please make some first half shots for a change! We shot around 30 pct to their 60 pct in the 1st half.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

.... but they need to fight and play defense. That can't give up 95/96 points
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

NJwave wrote:We were down 20 when Cornish missed a shot turned around and saw the ball on the ground and dove like 10 feet to get the loose ball. That’s the kind of effort we need to win.
This was a huge turning point IMO in the season.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

sr wrote:.... but they need to fight and play defense. That can't give up 95/96 points
One of our offensive stars (who will go nameless) has got to rebound better. 37 minutes and 1 rebound.
Hard to do.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

I am just so glad we are talking basketball again, this time of year, and not waiting for baseball or football season!

Listening to MD's son - he would take his Dad in a shooting contest ... I think this team is taking on some of MD's swagger. they start to build confidence and start hitting long bombs because of that swagger - like many of you mentioned - must start much earlier, more effort on D and everyone has to be on the same page with the amount of effort needed every game.

I will be tuned in all season!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

1401973 wrote:
sr wrote:.... but they need to fight and play defense. That can't give up 95/96 points
One of our offensive stars (who will go nameless) has got to rebound better. 37 minutes and 1 rebound.
Hard to do.
Defense lacked in the first half and UM piled on by not missing. Let's be fair to Melvin. He had five steals and looked to me (especially in the second half) to be playing very tenacious defense.

The issue is the "ironman factor." Tulane does not have enough depth to limit Melvin's playing to say 30 minutes a game to maximize his on court effectiveness so sometimes he does rest by not crashing the boards. It's not a matter of conditioning or attitude. Hardly anyone has that battery power.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Melvin is the most disruptive player we have (in a good way). Unfortunately, as Baywave noted, he usually plays the whole game, is put on the opponent's best player (because he's our single best defender) and he doesn't spend the game hurling long bombs from way out...........he's constantly driving to the basket. I'm amazed he can do all of that all game long.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:Melvin is the most disruptive player we have (in a good way). Unfortunately, as Baywave noted, he usually plays the whole game, is put on the opponent's best player (because he's our single best defender) and he doesn't spend the game hurling long bombs from way out...........he's constantly driving to the basket. I'm amazed he can do all of that all game long.
And all of this after that grueling exhibition schedule (two games in three days!). That's truly the untold story of this season, how we've managed to overcome those obstacles.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Melvin is the most disruptive player we have (in a good way). Unfortunately, as Baywave noted, he usually plays the whole game, is put on the opponent's best player (because he's our single best defender) and he doesn't spend the game hurling long bombs from way out...........he's constantly driving to the basket. I'm amazed he can do all of that all game long.
And all of this after that grueling exhibition schedule (two games in three days!). That's truly the untold story of this season, how we've managed to overcome those obstacles.
Please be direct. What's your point?