MBB vs SMU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

Re: MBB vs SMU

Post by randymc »

Harris transferred to Kent State and is sitting out this year under transfer rules. Kent State has a losing record this year.
Earlier today, I looked at Dylan O's stats and compared them to our two-headed post players, Blake Paul and S. Sehic.
Dylan O. is shooting FG's at a 45 percent clip and 3's at a .305 clip. He is averaging 15.5 points and 8 REBs in just under 33 minutes a game. He also leads Texas in turnovers and has 1 block on the season.
Paul + Sehic compare favorably with Dylan O when looked at as a composite.
P + S average 14.8 pts and 9.2 REBs per game in just over 35 minutes per game; The duo has 36 blocks on the year vs. Dylan's 1 (Dylan does have Mo Bamba on his team for the blocking chores). P + S are shooting FGs at about a 54 Percent clip; and 3's at 28%.
Paul and Sehic have shot 17 more 2-pt FG attempts than Dylan O.

With Barrett's injury, I wouldn't be surprised if Ajang, Koka and Barrett end up being red-shirted. Just my guess. Ajang has played in 9 games and if he is put to use in another game or 2 I guess he couldn't redshirt cause he'd probably end up playing in more than one third of Tulane's games. Ajang looks like he has some offensive skills. Defense, not so much yet.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Wavedom---- they don't know we beat Temple. Maybe, maybe 50% of the Northeast students from PHILADELPHIA know we beat Temple
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Osetkowski has defensive limitations, but he's got offensive game that Paul and Sehic don't come close to. I'm not sure it should be analyzed either/or anyway. Osetkowski wanted to leave - nothing we could do about it.

In other transfer news, Josh Hearlihy has become a productive player at Seattle U.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Living over here in the land of the Horns - Texas wouldn't be where they are today without Dylan O. He brings a lot to the Texas team. At least Tulane hasn't contributed to the football team - basketball & baseball are more than enough.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:Wavedom---- they don't know we beat Temple. Maybe, maybe 50% of the Northeast students from PHILADELPHIA know we beat Temple
They do.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

MD has stated publicly in interviews that if he had this druthers, he'd play four shooters and a center. I have to imagine this would have to be the equivalent of four Kevin Durant types (guard skills but 4/5 height) and an Anthony Davis (athletic and quick, do-it-all type) in order to really work, because at least a couple of the shooters would need to be tall/strong enough to guard someone in the post. We can't play four Ona Embos or Cornishes and a Sehic because Sehic would have to cover the opponent's 5 and that would leave small guards covering the 3 and 4. And Sehic, as much as a I like him, can't cover a 5 while also helping swat away shots by an opposing 4 who is posting up one of our guards (and neither could Osetkowski, which I suspect is why MD didn't work hard to keep him... Dylan might have been an offensive help but he wouldn't have been able to be our ONE inside defender). Without doing deep research, I'm guessing the 6'9 recruit from Florida that we had at the game the other night (see the recruiting forum here) is either a Durant type or a shorter Davis type, right?

But the real point here is that I don't know that MD has any intent of playing two tall guys at once (at least unless we recruit another tall guy who is an outside shooter). Maybe that was his intent with the English kid that fell through; a tall guy who was an outside shooter but tall enough to guard an opponent's 4 while Paul or Sehic covered the 5. But again, it's clear that our center needs to be quick and athletic, a shotblocker who presents a true deterrent to the opponent coming into the lane. That's why Paul is starting and getting most of the minutes in our system, and I suspect Paul's development this offseason had a lot to do with why we didn't follow through with the English kid (he was clearly less athletic than Paul and Sehic). I suspect MD is hoping Koka and/or Ajang develop into an interchangeable duo by the time Paul and Sehic move on, where he can use one or the other in that center spot.

This is all my own personal guesswork with no insider knowledge, but I don't know that MD has any intent on using both of them together. If he does, it's because they developed REALLY well and he realizes he can use them to dominate a smaller team... or because the opponent has a really dominant twin tower duo and he needs to play both to oppose them. Otherwise, I suspect you'll see MD going hard after shooters who are in the 6'6 to 6'10 range, to fill those 3/4 spots.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Guys, thank you for the responses. Very enlightening. I would like two bigs on the court just to show a different look from time to time. Against Tulsa I thought they may help with both rebounding and stopping Tulsa’s penetration to the basket by playing zone.

I do wonder if MD thinks these guys have a lot of upside (including Barrett) moving forward.

I must add the hiring of MD by Dannen was terrific. We won 6 games last year and couldn’t compete with Nortern Kentucky. The strides made in two years are remarkable. And Coach MD appears to love New Orleans. Things look bright for basketball going forward.
Last edited by tjtlja on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote:MD has stated publicly in interviews that if he had this druthers, he'd play four shooters and a center. I have to imagine this would have to be the equivalent of four Kevin Durant types (guard skills but 4/5 height) and an Anthony Davis (athletic and quick, do-it-all type) in order to really work, because at least a couple of the shooters would need to be tall/strong enough to guard someone in the post. We can't play four Ona Embos or Cornishes and a Sehic because Sehic would have to cover the opponent's 5 and that would leave small guards covering the 3 and 4. And Sehic, as much as a I like him, can't cover a 5 while also helping swat away shots by an opposing 4 who is posting up one of our guards (and neither could Osetkowski, which I suspect is why MD didn't work hard to keep him... Dylan might have been an offensive help but he wouldn't have been able to be our ONE inside defender). Without doing deep research, I'm guessing the 6'9 recruit from Florida that we had at the game the other night (see the recruiting forum here) is either a Durant type or a shorter Davis type, right?

But the real point here is that I don't know that MD has any intent of playing two tall guys at once (at least unless we recruit another tall guy who is an outside shooter). Maybe that was his intent with the English kid that fell through; a tall guy who was an outside shooter but tall enough to guard an opponent's 4 while Paul or Sehic covered the 5. But again, it's clear that our center needs to be quick and athletic, a shotblocker who presents a true deterrent to the opponent coming into the lane. That's why Paul is starting and getting most of the minutes in our system, and I suspect Paul's development this offseason had a lot to do with why we didn't follow through with the English kid (he was clearly less athletic than Paul and Sehic). I suspect MD is hoping Koka and/or Ajang develop into an interchangeable duo by the time Paul and Sehic move on, where he can use one or the other in that center spot.

This is all my own personal guesswork with no insider knowledge, but I don't know that MD has any intent on using both of them together. If he does, it's because they developed REALLY well and he realizes he can use them to dominate a smaller team... or because the opponent has a really dominant twin tower duo and he needs to play both to oppose them. Otherwise, I suspect you'll see MD going hard after shooters who are in the 6'6 to 6'10 range, to fill those 3/4 spots.
This is an excellent explanation, Pete. Maybe I'm biased because he had one of his best game while I was in the building, but Sehic seems to be a 4 who can shoot from outside and still guard the 4 from the other team. I'm really surprised that MD has not TRIED a lineup with Paul and Sehic in it, given your thoughts above. Sehic is clearly overmatched at the 5, but not in the 4 slot. Can he shoot well enough from the outside for MDs tastes? DNK but I would guess probably not. I really wish he would try a lineup of Ona Embo/Slater, Frazier, Reynolds, Sehic and Paul, if nothing else as an experiment. Cornish and Daniels as your sixth men, depending on the defensive/offensive need or change of pace.

We're all great coaches out here on the internet. MBB improved greatly toward the end of last season and if we see the same thing this year, things could get fun. But against the better/taller teams, for this season at least, I hope we try my suggestion.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Pete, Good summary but basic issue with Sehic is same as Osetkowski: they aren't in the lineup for their defense. Sehic's effectiveness on defense is the same whether he is guarding a 3/4 or 5; namely not much. He plays hard but does not have the physical skills to play over the top. So as you note, it's the other four guys on the court that matter.

I recommend those here watch UT play if you haven't already. When DO plays with Bamba, his effectiveness rises exponentially. Mo takes care of the defense, DO still rebounds and it allows him to dominate Smart's offense with his playmaking and scoring.

Find or develop a Bamba to complement Sehic over the next several years and Tulane could be a real interesting team.

Roto has it right. We are all great internet coaches! :mrgreen:
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

If there’s a 24 hour rule I’m breaking it but SMU fans’ Tulane game thread
Victory is never permanent
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Sehic is outrebounding Paul by approximately 2 per game but Paul is a much better shot blocker. Their field goal percentages are almost identical but Sehic shoots more and therefore also scores more.

I don’t think our league is loaded with talented big men. The guards and small forwards have been the best players on every team we have faced. I think it’s why we haven’t seen much of the big guys together. We have needed more athleticism on the floor and we have been able to run more as well.

We are having our best season in years. It’s difficult to nitpick.

The SMU thread was funny. It started out like they are Duke and we are the little sister’s of the poor. It finished with them choking against the same lousy team.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:Oh man. I finally get something to brag about at work and the LSU guy wants to talk about how they almost beat Kentucky. :lol:
Just remind him we actually played them this year and of the result.
I’m sure Monday will be all Texas A&M
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:Oh man. I finally get something to brag about at work and the LSU guy wants to talk about how they almost beat Kentucky. :lol:
I’m sure Monday today will be all Texas A&MLSU
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I’m sure Monday today will be all Texas A&MLSU
Would have really helped the RPI if that LSU game counted.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:You can bet the students were watching at home and can't wait to be a part of the mix.
You're extraordinarily overestimating the interest of our current students. I'd be willing to bet 95+% of our current students had no idea we even had a game last night, much less tuned in, saw the win, and are chomping at the bit to come back and go to a game. Heck, even in the 90s when we were the hottest thing going in town, we didn't sell out the 1100 student allotment on the day of ticket release (did you know the famous campout in 1992 for USM on ESPN only handed out around 800 of the 1100? Students walked up later that afternoon and got tickets without a line).

More students will show up for UConn just because they are a "name" team and because many of our students are from the northeast near there. Many of them won't know that UConn is down a bit this year nor have any idea how our team is doing up until that point. But the key is we HAVE to win that game. That is the kind of game we have lost 100% of the time in the past 10-15 years. Literally, we haven't won any big home games post-"buzz generation" in that long. Win that game and the students will understand that we're worth returning to see even when we're playing someone like Houston.
We got our best crowd of the season today even though we lost to Memphis. The student section was filled. That Temple win garnered a lot of good will . It ended today. We had a chance to really grab hold of people and squandered it unfortunately.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:You can bet the students were watching at home and can't wait to be a part of the mix.
You're extraordinarily overestimating the interest of our current students. I'd be willing to bet 95+% of our current students had no idea we even had a game last night, much less tuned in, saw the win, and are chomping at the bit to come back and go to a game. Heck, even in the 90s when we were the hottest thing going in town, we didn't sell out the 1100 student allotment on the day of ticket release (did you know the famous campout in 1992 for USM on ESPN only handed out around 800 of the 1100? Students walked up later that afternoon and got tickets without a line).

More students will show up for UConn just because they are a "name" team and because many of our students are from the northeast near there. Many of them won't know that UConn is down a bit this year nor have any idea how our team is doing up until that point. But the key is we HAVE to win that game. That is the kind of game we have lost 100% of the time in the past 10-15 years. Literally, we haven't won any big home games post-"buzz generation" in that long.
Win that game and the students will understand that we're worth returning to see even when we're playing someone like Houston.
We got our best crowd of the season today even though we lost to Memphis. The student section was filled. That Temple win garnered a lot of good will . It ended today. We had a chance to really grab hold of people and squandered it unfortunately.
See bolded above.

If the students were paying attention and coming because of excitement about our team or the Temple win, they would not have come due to Tulsa and Memphis since. They came because UConn is a name team and because a lot of them are from the area.

But regardless of why... The decade+ streak continues.... :cry:
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

More students will show up for UConn just because they are a "name" team and because many of our students are from the northeast near there. Many of them won't know that UConn is down a bit this year nor have any idea how our team is doing up until that point. But the key is we HAVE to win that game. That is the kind of game we have lost 100% of the time in the past 10-15 years. Literally, we haven't won any big home games post-"buzz generation" in that long.
Win that game and the students will understand that we're worth returning to see even when we're playing someone like Houston.
See bolded above.

If the students were paying attention and coming because of excitement about our team or the Temple win, they would not have come due to Tulsa and Memphis since. They came because UConn is a name team and because a lot of them are from the area.

But regardless of why... The decade+ streak continues.... :cry:
We'll have to agree to disagree. You've been gone a long time and don't know our fan base. That Temple win grabbed our fans attention including the students. Today we blew that good will.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
pearlriverwave wrote:this is how you get people in the stands
You really want people in the stands? Beat Memphis and you'll get a good turnout for UConn, especially since so many Tulane students are from that area. Then BEAT UCONN. That's the key. We haven't won a big home game against a name opponent *after winning previous games to stir interest* in like, I dunno, over two decades.
Here you aid we needed to beat Memphis to get that good crowd. We lost and still got it b/c that Temple win bought us some good faith.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Respectfully, I don’t know what you guys are bantering about. It looked like the place wasn’t even half full for UConn. Both areas behind the baskets were nearly empty and the visitor side was maybe half full. Turnstile count of 1800 would be generous.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I was there, given the crowds we’ve had in the last few years this was a good crowd for us. The kind of crowd you could have built on if............we had won.

So on Wednesday I expect to see us sink back to what I hoped we had left behind this year. Crowd wise.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.