Women lose to 64-56 to Wichita State

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Women lose to 64-56 to Wichita State

Unread post by GSx »

Wichita is now 7-12 and via this win, got its RPI under 200.
Last week, we blew a 20 point 2nd half lead at home to Houston.
How's this team going to be next year without Morgan?
Ridiculous
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Women lose to 64-56 to Wichita State

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Disappointing to say the least. For those of you attending, can you comment on what's going wrong?
Last edited by PeteRasche on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

ONe thing I've noticed is that players drop off the roster in mid-season. In each of the last 2 years, a freshman has left mid-year; and the roster stands at 12, when I believe 15 are allowed. 2 years ago a double-digit scorer left after her freshman year.
Radio Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Radio Wave »

Got to get bigger stronger faster players....see UCONN
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Radio Wave wrote:Got to get bigger stronger faster players....see UCONN
But it's not just UConn (and, heck, we gave them a run last year). I want to know what we are missing that is causing us to be so mediocre. Outside of Morgan... Bad shooting? Poor defense? Not enough height? Not enough muscle? Sloppy play/turnovers? What's going on?
Wavemania
President's Circle

Unread post by Wavemania »

not enough local talent. Only 2 ladies are from metro area. When Tulane made its NCAA runs, Local talent was the norm, along with a few great ones like Grace. Watching the great one leave and go to Baylor and other top notch schools
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Outplayed.

Also, I didn’t see final stats, but WS must have had a dozen blocked shots (or close to it). We were constantly out hustled and out rebounded. We also had difficulty passing the ball, and WS had plenty of steals.

Kolby Morgan had 17 in the 1st quarter, and was in the 20’s towards the end of the game, not sure how many she ended up with. Was double teamed most of the 2nd half.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

PeteRasche wrote:
But it's not just UConn (and, heck, we gave them a run last year). I want to know what we are missing that is causing us to be so mediocre. Outside of Morgan... Bad shooting? Poor defense? Not enough height? Not enough muscle? Sloppy play/turnovers? What's going on?
Maybe this year we aren't playing as well as we have in prior seasons. But I agree with Radio...the issue is recruiting. No one expects U Conn talent, but don't have, nor do we appear to recruit the level of talent we once did. We're in a league with U Conn, and should embrace , not run away from it. The expectation should be NCAA, not the NIT.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
it's simple actually. The coach is just cashing a check. The two main sports have been bad for so long that if you have a winning season people are overjoyed. They overlook the fact that we shouldn't have the difficulties in women's sports that we have in the men's.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
it's simple actually. The coach is just cashing a check. The two main sports have been bad for so long that if you have a winning season people are overjoyed. They overlook the fact that we shouldn't have the difficulties in women's sports that we have in the men's.
Be careful. Last year I hinted that it might be time for a coaching change and you would have thought I said to murder the pope. :|
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson