NFL Playoffs 2018

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: NFL Playoffs 2018

Post by doncecco »

Man in Green wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Man in Green wrote:If the Saints were totally healthy they would have a great shot to win it all. They are the most complete team in the NFL. I think the Buffalo game was the only game were all of the starters were healthy, and we saw how that turned out.
Maybe so, but you dance with the girl you brought.

The Eagles would be an entirely different team too had Sproules not gone down early in the season and Carson Wentz, possible NFL MVP, had not been lost for the season late.

See you in Philly.

That’s true, but the Saints have been hit extra hard with injuries all year: Armstead missed the first 6 games or so, Strief goes down in game 1, Lattimore missed a couple of games, Klein, Fleener, Peat, Okafor, and Vaccaro are on IR. It’s the next man up mentality in the NFL. I just hope we don’t run out of men.
All teams have lost key players and just trudge on. That's a real testament to the coaches left standing as they all have had to deal with subbing for key players, and yet have kept their teams in it. Zimmer lost his top QB and top pick RB! Pats lost Edelman and multiple D-linemen. Steelers were without the best player on the outside (and still limited).

I would point to 3 seasons recently where the overwhelming fav going into the SB was beat - Giants over Pats (twice) and Saints over Colts. You could also argue Broncos over Panthers (although anyone with Cam Newton at QB shouldn't be a favorite) and I believe Seahawks over Broncos was also a mild upset.

"It's why you play the game!"
Bring home da Wave!
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Bring home da Wave!
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

And lest I point out that it's 7 straight Conference Championship appearances and 12 of the past 17 now for the pair that is Belichick and Brady. Not sure there has been another pair with consistent greatness in sports history. Not even Auerbach-Russell lasted that long.

I don't buy that they're breaking up, but if they do, this may be an unmatchable run the way franchises handle assets nowadays.
Bring home da Wave!
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Saints have 20 players on IR, plus Brandon Colman is out today. It will take the coaching job of SP’s career to pull out a win today.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Saints look horrible. Ref calls fall down by Minn receiver pass interference. Not looking good down 10 - 0 early.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Drew looks like an old QB past his prime and the officiating is terrible. Not hopeful
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

That horse collar call on Armstead was pitiful.

Saints getting dismantled like they always do in Minnesota
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Man in Green wrote:That horse collar call on Armstead was pitiful.

Saints getting dismantled like they always do in Minnesota
How they call that a horse collar three plays after not noticing Brees getting hit in the head is beyond me.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Difference between the Bears and saints.... Bears have a better draft pick
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I had not realized until I read it just now that the Saints have won a total of one road playoff game in the history of the franchise. :shock:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

OMG!

Tackling wrap up drills on Monday for Saints #43,
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

which NFL team or CFL team do you expect to pick him up?
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

TUPF wrote:I had not realized until I read it just now that the Saints have won a total of one road playoff game in the history of the franchise. :shock:
At Philadelphia.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote:OMG!

Tackling wrap up drills on Monday for Saints #43,
That was awful technique any way you slice it. I've seen a lot of arguments saying he had to duck to avoid a penalty. If that’s the case, it still supports my point of him using poor technique, especially for an NFL DB.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote:I had not realized until I read it just now that the Saints have won a total of one road playoff game in the history of the franchise. :shock:
And... Drew Brees is now 1-10 in Domes not called the Superdome.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Man, do I feel badly for you Saints fans. That was a helluva a way to lose a football game. Unbelievable. It's so much fun to watch Payton and Brees manage a game, then pfffft! big brain f@rt.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote:Man, do I feel badly for you Saints fans. That was a helluva a way to lose a football game. Unbelievable. It's so much fun to watch Payton and Brees manage a game, then pfffft! big brain f@rt.
Me too. Because of Tulane and New Orleans, the Saints are my second favorite team, and not in a Dallas Cowboys way either. With the incredible comeback I was sure that early season banter I had here with someone about an Eagles-Saints NFC Championship was going to come true. Up until that missed tackle I figured the Vikings would run out of time.

Not sure how the Eagles will fare next Sunday. With Foles it’s been a prayer so far but one never knows.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

I feel terrible for Marcus Williams. He played great all year then this. He is more devastated than anybody.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The 49ers game in the 2011 playoffs was worse. They fought back like champs and let it get away. I'm a fan again because of this team so I'll never forget them.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Feel bad for y'all. That was a tough way to go. I even had my kids rooting for the Saints (or as my daughter misread the screen when I first turned it on, the "Santas"). No offense TUPF, but I dislike all four remaining teams now. Blech.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

The guys on Wwl postgame were referring to this as the worst moment in franchise history.

I have no clue how they could come up with that. It just feels like a complete lack of perspective of the first 40 years of saints history.

My memory mostly spans good years (save Ditka), and it’s not the worst moment of that timeframe.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

MattK wrote:The guys on Wwl postgame were referring to this as the worst moment in franchise history.

I have no clue how they could come up with that. It just feels like a complete lack of perspective of the first 40 years of saints history.

My memory mostly spans good years (save Ditka), and it’s not the worst moment of that timeframe.
Save Ditka meaning the greatest years ofyour history?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:No offense TUPF, but I dislike all four remaining teams now. Blech.
None taken. After Wentz went down, I keep waiting for Wile. E. Coyote to realize gravity takes over.

However, I would like nothing better than to knock the smugness off of Brady/Belechek if we somehow manage to pull off a second playoff win as underdog over Minnesota.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Foles, Keenum, Bortles, Brady. One of these is not like the other. Jags-Vikes would be fun. Jags-Eagles is fine too. Money is on the Pats though.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:
And... Drew Brees is now 1-10 in Domes not called the Superdome.
Huh? This is incorrect.