Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Re: Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Post by CT Wave »

Deep article: "History shows most of the hires will land somewhere between great and terrible."
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

CT Wave wrote:Deep article: "History shows most of the hires will land somewhere between great and terrible."
Like the Saints pregame I heard once where the Saints were going to "try to outscore" whoever the opponent was. 3 more hours of airtime to fill still after that.
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ULL hires Arizona State OC Billy Napier. Had been WR coach at Bama before that. (News outlets insisting on calling ULL "Louisiana")
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

gerryb323 wrote:ULL hires Arizona State OC Billy Napier. Had been WR coach at Bama before that. (News outlets insisting on calling ULL "Louisiana")
ASU is going to be ticked off. Rumor was that one reason they went with Edwards was because they insisted that any new coach had to keep the OC and DC. They really wanted to keep Napier (DC is older I believe). Now he is gone and you are left with Edward's as your HC. They didn't like Edwards initially and now they are really going to hate him.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

SlidellWave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:ULL hires Arizona State OC Billy Napier. Had been WR coach at Bama before that. (News outlets insisting on calling ULL "Louisiana")
ASU is going to be ticked off. Rumor was that one reason they went with Edwards was because they insisted that any new coach had to keep the OC and DC. They really wanted to keep Napier (DC is older I believe). Now he is gone and you are left with Edward's as your HC. They didn't like Edwards initially and now they are really going to hate him.
They have only themselves to blame. If they liked Napier so much they should have made him HC.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:
They have only themselves to blame. If they liked Napier so much they should have made him HC.
Yeah, that one doesn't make much sense but then neither does hiring Herm Edwards.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

OGSB wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
SlidellWave wrote:
Yeah, that one doesn't make much sense but then neither does hiring Herm Edwards.
Well, you're not going to be able to out-USC USC in that division, so you have to think outside the box. ...Not this far outside of the box, though.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

SlidellWave wrote:
And the DC is gone as well...
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Say what? Lane Kiffin signs a 10 year extension at FAU. A head scratcher for sure. Smart deal for Kiffin. Financial security. Not so smart for FAU, except it shows that they mean business.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... ar-BBH2qAP

Fan Since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Say what? Lane Kiffin signs a 10 year extension at FAU. A head scratcher for sure. Smart deal for Kiffin. Financial security. Not so smart for FAU, except it shows that they mean business.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... ar-BBH2qAP

Fan Since '54
Assuming they get paid if another school takes him, could be a smart deal for FAU too. He can say what he wants, I doubt he stays at FAU if a big fish comes calling.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If Kiffin is happy to dominate CUSA for a decade, more power to him. If FAU's administration wants to deal with his ego another decade, then... uh... whatever, dude...

But, as stated, of course he's not planning on being there that long. If he fails, he's got a nice payout coming. If he succeeds, he's gone off to a bigger school which will happily buy out his contract and the school will get paid. But FAU isn't getting a P5 invitation no matter what, I seriously doubt he's going to build a NY6 bowl level team there (they'd have to beat some really notable teams OOC and go undefeated to ever merit passing the AAC or even MWC champ), and his antics about bringing GameDay there were blatant desperate pandering (though I could see that happening just because ESPN would eat up his social media garbage).
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Okay, the carousel just added Arizona into the mix. RichRod fired. The reason why is pretty interesting. :roll:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... id=U452DHP

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Not HC related, but kind of.

Looks like Tennessee is going to hire Rush Propst as WR coach. Perfect fit for that crew, but let's see if the "High Moral Character" group that runs that place stands up to this hire like they did against Schiano. My guess is that Travis Clay and his bunch of idiots stays quiet.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It's Clay Travis, WaveSlidell. :lol:
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

long green wrote:It's Clay Travis, WaveSlidell. :lol:
Good One! :)

Thought it sounded wrong but didn't want to give him the satisfaction of increasing his web search count.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

SlidellWave wrote:Not HC related, but kind of.

Looks like Tennessee is going to hire Rush Propst as WR coach. Perfect fit for that crew, but let's see if the "High Moral Character" group that runs that place stands up to this hire like they did against Schiano. My guess is that Travis Clay and his bunch of idiots stays quiet.
And another 'kind of', Canada out at LSU.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Arizona developments: this includes potential impact on AAC, possible transferring QB and perhaps a test of whether PAC 12 is a "player's league" or do the admins actually run the joint. People here were thinking some Tulane recruits were aggressive on Twitter......

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 029446001/
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

I hadn't heard, but Sumlin landed at Arizona