Lindsey Scott

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Lindsey Scott

Post by windywave »

TU23 wrote:I think we need to address our offensive scheme in the offseason. I think we’re having trouble attracting QBs because most QBs want to throw the ball 25-30 times a game. I’d like to see us go fast tempo more and throw the ball more (20-30 more offensive plays a game). It would help a lot in recruiting.
Michigan, Nebraska, Clemson, Oregon, Army, Navy, Ga Tech, Alabama, Wisconsin, Penn State, and probably many others are run first oriented. Hell Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, and 180K all played in run first offenses.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

180K means Cam Newton if you're confused.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
TU23 wrote:I think we need to address our offensive scheme in the offseason. I think we’re having trouble attracting QBs because most QBs want to throw the ball 25-30 times a game. I’d like to see us go fast tempo more and throw the ball more (20-30 more offensive plays a game). It would help a lot in recruiting.
Michigan, Nebraska, Clemson, Oregon, Army, Navy, Ga Tech, Alabama, Wisconsin, Penn State, and probably many others are run first oriented. Hell Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, and 180K all played in run first offenses.
Jameis threw for 7500 yards on 851 attempts in 2 years.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
In a run first offense. We need better O line play to establish the run so we can pass
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

We need a run threat at QB to help the line no matter what else we're doing.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
In a run first offense. We need better O line play to establish the run so we can pass
It was not a run first offense. The year they won the national title, they had 530 passing attempts and 440 rushing attempts.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
It was not a run first offense. The year they won the national title, they had 530 passing attempts and 440 rushing attempts.
Just because they had more passes does not mean it is not a pass run offense.
#cousins don't count
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I think my point was missed. I don’t think we need to become pass oriented. I think we need to pass more and push the tempo. We need to run 80 plays a game and pass at least 30 times. We need a QB who can run, but we don’t need him to run 20 times a game.
This one belongs to the Wave.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TU23 wrote:I think my point was missed. I don’t think we need to become pass oriented. I think we need to pass more and push the tempo. We need to run 80 plays a game and pass at least 30 times. We need a QB who can run, but we don’t need him to run 20 times a game.
I agree we need to pass more, and we also need to call running plays with more variety
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I don't disagree but Fritz will fight that perception even if we start running the Air Raid.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Definitely agree with your points, Windy and LG.

New story on 247...Lindsey Scott says he still hasn't made a decision after his visit to Mizzou. Sets a deadline of tomorrow to make a decision after "weighing relevant factors." I'd expect him to get a call or visit from Tulane before then. I know this recruitment has been frustrating for many, but I think the kid is legitimately trying to make the best decision for him. Call me foolish or naive, but I think that the fact that he came home without giving a commitment is a good sign for us.
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TU23, totally agree with everything you have said. This kid is struggling with a very tough decision. Wherever he ends up, I hope he is successful.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

He has officially chosen Mizzou.

https://twitter.com/_lj18_/status/955551946517241859

Good luck to the kid. He gives Fritz and staff a pretty genuine call out in the tweet.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

He's going to sit for a year. Whatever. All he ever wanted was a p5. It's his choice, time to move on.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Looks like we were 2nd per the tweet.

Onward and upward
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

FW wrote:He's going to sit for a year. Whatever. All he ever wanted was a p5. It's his choice, time to move on.
Chance he would have done that here as well (though he would have had every chance to win the job and very well may have). The P5 was undoubtedly the deciding factor. It is what it is.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Good luck to the kid? I say, stick it out and you should have some opportunities to get lucky. I sure as hell don't feel lucky that he "even considered us." Shoot me when I get that abject.

The staff has something to answer for here. Re-recruiting Scott was not a bad idea; going to the bitter end with him for the second time in two calendar years was. Any shrink will tell you that people don't really change. The coaches should have walked away from this the minute he & his camp started stalling or putting us off (again). If we had, IMO we'd have at least one more QB on campus now, which would make a difference. Once again, we are one of the best opportunities in the country for a dual threat QB. That fact is easily the biggest problem in the Willie Fritz era.
Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

L Scott had more than enough times to commit to Tulane. He was waiting for a bigger program in his and his family’s eyes. So long and good luck. We’ll see how it plays out at Missouri.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I don't think I've disagreed, tactically, with pretty much anything WF and Staff have done so far but I agree with lg. It wasn't hard to see, after the delaying, that Scott was going elsewhere. At that point, as lg suggests, we should have cut our losses, wished the kid well and begun recruiting hard an alternate choice. Instead we lost a bunch of time for no good reason and may have lost McClain in the process as well.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:I don't think I've disagreed, tactically, with pretty much anything WF and Staff have done so far but I agree with lg. It wasn't hard to see, after the delaying, that Scott was going elsewhere. At that point, as lg suggests, we should have cut our losses, wished the kid well and begun recruiting hard an alternate choice. Instead we lost a bunch of time for no good reason and may have lost McClain in the process as well.
My sentiments exactly. By pulling out of his recruitment early, we would have forced Scott's hand on Tulane earlier, thus enabling a Plan B and, as GB points out, may not have alienated McClain in the process. Bad poker on a part of the coaching staff. Pulling his offer earlier, when it was obvious he was still shopping, would have put us in a more advantageous position, both with Scott and with alternatives. Now, we're in serious scramble mode.
Last edited by Rotorooter on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I wish the kid nothing but the best. And I see nothing wrong with re-recruiting the kid. I just hope for Scott he made the correct choice. P5’s were not knocking his door down with offers. Missouri has had some damn good QB’s in recent years and Scott could find himself down the depth chart. This decision in my opinion was weighted heavily towards playing time with the P5 BS a distant second. Hopefully, he gets his chance but I wish he would have come to Tulane.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Yes. Good luck to him.

I'm not gonna get pissed at someone I don't know for making a decision that isn't the one I wanted him to make.

I also disagree on Fritz pursing him. We clearly had a shot but lost. But it's a pretty defeatist attitude to just assume we were out of it and should have given up weeks ago. As for McClain, I haven't seen anywhere that he left because we were pursuing Scott (outside of speculation). Maybe that's what happened, but it's a bad assumption to make.

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Guessing we can reopen this thread in two years when he’s looking to graduate transfer to a starting
Gig for his last year of eligibility.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

its a completely reasonable assumption to make and it could just as easily be wrong. And don't forget we lost Brantley before that. So, in the span of time we were aggressively pursuing Scott, we lost two experienced QB's. For some unknown reason. And those of us that thought that we should have bailed on Scott earlier don't disagree with the hard pursuit we gave the second time around. Simply our inability to see that playing for a P-5 Program trumped all in this case. And that's OK I simply want Tulane to land on its feet. Going into next year with Banks a true Freshman and a Prayer doesn't seem like a tactically sound move to me.

but there's still time.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I think Scott has pro aspirations. Maybe only Cananadian league pro, but pro none the less. If I remeber corectly he alluded to "fit" when talking about Tulane in his commitment announcement. I think that was the biggest hurdle. Look at the passing numbers the mizzou qb put up compared to our passing game. That was the difference in the end IMO. I know nobody wants to hear this either, but the saga could continue if gets beat out at Mizzou and he becomes a grad transfer.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy