Tulane Baseball roster now stands at 37 players

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Tulane Baseball roster now stands at 37 players

Post by visualmagic »

Yankeewave wrote:this is the least excited I have been for baseball in quite some time.

are any of the positions set besides Witherspoon?

assume the guy that almost left and then came back will start friday night.

any big JC transfers or anything?
There are a few JC guys that could be really good. I’d expect that one of them could be your Friday night starter. The pitching staff will have a lot of new pieces. Could be a good staff but you never know what will happen when you have a bunch of new guys that haven’t played at this level.
I don’t think that the offense will be good. The only proven commodity we have is Spoon.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Friday night JC starter isn't necessarily bad, think Conrad Flynn fit that bill. hard to get excited knowing so little about the team. interesting to see how TJ does in year two with a younger team.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We have some very good pitchers who are going to throw strikes. Besides Spoon, a lot of positions will be determined in the next month. I think if we were starting tomorrow the line-up would be -

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Pitchers - Massey, Roper, Green, Solesky, Bjorngjeld, Gillies, Trent Johnson, McAffer, and White

Offense will be the key. If we can hit, we will win.

Tulane49 has as much knowledge about baseball as anyone who post here so ask him questions and he will be able to give you detail answers. He has seen the team a lot already and has a great feel for the game.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Unless some of those guys are vastly improved, the pitching will need to be dominant. That lineup won’t scare anyone.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Hoese, Kobi Owen, and Gozzo all have talent and should improve. Artigues had a great fall. Matthews has a chance to be very good. Acy Owen and Ty Johnson both add experience. It will be very interesting to see how it unfolds. This team has talent.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I want to see the final 35, as usual, we have a few guys that aren’t healthy. Once the 35 player roster is set, we will know more.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

from what I saw in the fall Trevor Jensen has a good bit of pop with the bat; and Tyler Heinrichs should contribute as well.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

tjtlja wrote:We have some very good pitchers who are going to throw strikes. Besides Spoon, a lot of positions will be determined in the next month. I think if we were starting tomorrow the line-up would be -

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Pitchers - Massey, Roper, Green, Solesky, Bjorngjeld, Gillies, Trent Johnson, McAffer, and White

Tulane49 has as much knowledge about baseball as anyone who post here so ask him questions and he will be able to give you detail answers. He has seen the team a lot already and has a great feel for the game.
You are spot on with Hoese, Gozzo and Artiques. Sal and Jonathon are light years ahead of last year the game has slowed down for them. Hoese continues hit kill the ball, sooner or later the hits will start falling, he probably has the loudest outs on the team
The coaches like Trevor Jensen and will probably try him at 1B or DH. Mathews had a outstanding fall season
The outfield will be a work in progress. Other then Spoon in center I feel the coaches will be looking for the best combinations and who ever is swinging a hot bat, lord knows we will need someone. During the fall Kobi Owen saw a lot of action in left field and Heinrichs was in right field. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephen Sepcich (the kid from Jesuit) work his way onto the field in right
Ty Johnson and Acy Owen will alternate behind the plate. Johnson is a RH hitter and Owen is a LH hitter
Weekend starters will probably be Trent Johnson, Roper and Solesky (providing his back holds out)
Look for freshman Justin Campbell a LHP to be in the mix as a setup guy the kid is 6'6"
Rowland could be the DH at the beginning of the year

As a PSA the first scrimmage is this Friday starting around 3:30.

It's time to PLAY BALL !!!!!!!!!!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Tulane49 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
triggered :lol:
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Tulane49 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:We have some very good pitchers who are going to throw strikes. Besides Spoon, a lot of positions will be determined in the next month. I think if we were starting tomorrow the line-up would be -

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

You are spot on with Hoese, Gozzo and Artiques. Sal and Jonathon are light years ahead of last year the game has slowed down for them. Hoese continues hit kill the ball, sooner or later the hits will start falling, he probably has the loudest outs on the team
The coaches like Trevor Jensen and will probably try him at 1B or DH. Mathews had a outstanding fall season
The outfield will be a work in progress. Other then Spoon in center I feel the coaches will be looking for the best combinations and who ever is swinging a hot bat, lord knows we will need someone. During the fall Kobi Owen saw a lot of action in left field and Heinrichs was in right field. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stephen Sepcich (the kid from Jesuit) work his way onto the field in right
Ty Johnson and Acy Owen will alternate behind the plate. Johnson is a RH hitter and Owen is a LH hitter
Weekend starters will probably be Trent Johnson, Roper and Solesky (providing his back holds out)
Look for freshman Justin Campbell a LHP to be in the mix as a setup guy the kid is 6'6"

Where is Ross Massey in the pecking order at this point? It's disappointing not to see him in your list as a weekend starter. I really thought getting back to freshman year Ross was a big key for this team.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
triggered :lol:
Outlaw, oh no, not that again (lol)! Scrimmaging will not be an issue with this bunch. We will definitely not be in spring season form when the season begins.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Tulane49 wrote:

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

One quick question--how have Johnson and Owen looked defensively behind the plate?
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

GretnaGrn wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

One quick question--how have Johnson and Owen looked defensively behind the plate?
Both are good receivers Johnson had a groin injury that hampered him some and he does have the better arm
Look for the freshman Niemann. He could be our future
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

NJwave wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Where is Ross Massey in the pecking order at this point? It's disappointing not to see him in your list as a weekend starter. I really thought getting back to freshman year Ross was a big key for this team.
Ross is not quite back to the freshman Ross but he is doing very well. He had a couple good outings in the fall that showed some promise. I think he only had one bad outing but that’s to be expected. The coaches are not going to press him, he’ll probably be a mid week guy at first. If he gets close to the freshman Ross we will have 4 quality starters, a definite need if we make the regionals. Remember we ran out of pitching at Ole Miss
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Tulane49 wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Ross is not quite back to the freshman Ross but he is doing very well. He had a couple good outings in the fall that showed some promise. I think he only had one bad outing but that’s to be expected. The coaches are not going to press him, he’ll probably be a mid week guy at first. If he gets close to the freshman Ross we will have 4 quality starters, a definite need if we make the regionals. Remember we ran out of pitching at Ole Miss
Thanks so much. I've never felt so clueless as to what a Tulane baseball team is capable of going in to a season. With all the turnover, I'm sure I am not the only one.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

NJwave wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

Thanks so much. I've never felt so clueless as to what a Tulane baseball team is capable of going in to a season. With all the turnover, I'm sure I am not the only one.
Wait until next year. We have at least 15 incoming players for next year plus Forest Weber who is enrolled in school recovering from TJ surgery
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

NJwave wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:

1B - Matthews
2B - Artigues
SS - Gozzo
3B - Hoese
LF - Ty Johnson
CF - Witherspoon
RF - Kobi Owen
C - Acy Owen

You're far from the only one. He and his staff have their work cut out for them. He's tried to bring in a good mix of experience to go along with the freshman signees. Hopefully it all falls into place.
We deserve so much better
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I want to see who is healthy to start the season, and then the ones that need another month, or 2, to get healthy. We might have some guys that can’t play early in the season, but will be good to go later in the season.

I’m really excited to see how new pitchers Johnson, Roper, Mcaffer, and Green (closer) perform. Soleskly didn’t pitch at all in the fall, so when will he be able to pitch. If we get Massey back, that locks in a solid starter, probably a weekend guy.

Anyway, we should find out in a couple of weeks, who is going to be able to play, and survive the 35 man roster.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

noladave wrote:I want to see who is healthy to start the season, and then the ones that need another month, or 2, to get healthy. We might have some guys that can’t play early in the season, but will be good to go later in the season.

I’m really excited to see how new pitchers Johnson, Roper, Mcaffer, and Green (closer) perform. Soleskly didn’t pitch at all in the fall, so when will he be able to pitch. If we get Massey back, that locks in a solid starter, probably a weekend guy.

Anyway, we should find out in a couple of weeks, who is going to be able to play, and survive the 35 man roster.
Three true freshmen to keep an eye on as we get deeper into the season
Steven Sepcich outfielder
David Bedgood infielder
Josh Bates pitcher
Wavefam985
Trainer

Post by Wavefam985 »

Looking forward to the start of the baseball season - will be an interesting year for sure with so many unknowns.

Pitching - Pitching staff has a ton of new faces but certainly has much more depth than in year's past. The major unknown will be that experienced "Friday night guy" - too bad JP didn't hang around because he would have anchored this staff (I bet he doesn't pitch 30 innings at MS State). We should get a preview of the staff in the first two weeks with Wright State and then two weeks of playing 5 games (Ole Miss; Lamar; Cal State, etc...). Top new guys to watch - T. Johnson; Roper; Cellucci (will take some time); Pellerin; Green; Campbell; Bates and McAffer.

Infield - Sal has ss locked up and swung it very well this fall by all accounts. 3b will be interesting and a two-horse race between Hoese and T. Jensen - offensive production maybe the key but would like both will get a shot to win the job. 2b has good competition but believe based on the fall Artigues gets the nod over Galy and a very talented Bedgood (who will get a chance to contribute). Matthews played well this fall at 1b (Roland and Jensen could see time to get bat in lineup). Catcher will be Owen and Johnson - not sure what order but with a LHB and a RHB you can play matchup.

Outfield - Spoon!!!! After Spoon, it will be anyone's guess - whomever can consistently hit. Owen, Heinrichs, and Roland looks like the favorites for the other two spots. Sepcich seem to have a good fall and like Bedgood will have a chance at some point to contribute.

I think this team will do better than pre-season reports.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Wavefam985 wrote:
I’d sure hope so. They’re predicted to finish 8th in a 9 team conference
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Wavefam985 wrote:Looking forward to the start of the baseball season - will be an interesting year for sure with so many unknowns.

Pitching - Pitching staff has a ton of new faces but certainly has much more depth than in year's past. The major unknown will be that experienced "Friday night guy" - too bad JP didn't hang around because he would have anchored this staff (I bet he doesn't pitch 30 innings at MS State). We should get a preview of the staff in the first two weeks with Wright State and then two weeks of playing 5 games (Ole Miss; Lamar; Cal State, etc...). Top new guys to watch - T. Johnson; Roper; Cellucci (will take some time); Pellerin; Green; Campbell; Bates and McAffer.

Infield - Sal has ss locked up and swung it very well this fall by all accounts. 3b will be interesting and a two-horse race between Hoese and T. Jensen - offensive production maybe the key but would like both will get a shot to win the job. 2b has good competition but believe based on the fall Artigues gets the nod over Galy and a very talented Bedgood (who will get a chance to contribute). Matthews played well this fall at 1b (Roland and Jensen could see time to get bat in lineup). Catcher will be Owen and Johnson - not sure what order but with a LHB and a RHB you can play matchup.

Outfield - Spoon!!!! After Spoon, it will be anyone's guess - whomever can consistently hit. Owen, Heinrichs, and Roland looks like the favorites for the other two spots. Sepcich seem to have a good fall and like Bedgood will have a chance at some point to contribute.

Sorry but Rowland will probably DH. Don’t rule out Johnson in the outfield
Ross Massey has to be considered part of the pitching
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
Wavefam985 wrote:
I’d sure hope so. They’re predicted to finish 8th in a 9 team conference
As we’ve discussed before, the reason not to get too worked up over that prediction is there are too many unknowns. I expect to be better from what should be a talent upgrade, but how good they really are and how long they take to adjust to this level of baseball remains to be seen. That goes for the freshmen and JuCos.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

All I care about are the results on the field. I’m certainly not going to be worked up over a preseason poll.
Now if those projections are anywhere close to correct, I’ll be pretty upset.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

Tulane49 wrote:
Wavefam985 wrote:Looking forward to the start of the baseball season - will be an interesting year for sure with so many unknowns.

Sorry but Rowland will probably DH. Don’t rule out Johnson in the outfield
Ross Massey has to be considered part of the pitching
Enjoyed your write up.

Disagree on Jp France....was a top 5 rounder out of hs, Rick jones named opening day Friday nighter at tulane as a freshman (first one since 1989), and is slated to be wknd starter for msu currently according to paper, easily get 75 innings and prolly push more like 100. D1 tweeted cruisin 92mph other day. Add in that he's won ton of big time games for us....he was huge loss to us. I Wish him well.

Rowland prolly has one of best bat on the team i think, he's playing somewhere, prolly DH. Excited about the new pitching depth. OF should be fine, need to replace tiger killer kaplan who hit .300 and was phenominal defensively...I think we can prolly do that. I'm concerned with infield though, need to replace like 40hrs from that group. Also need to replace defensive abilities we had there. Losses the conf player of year at 1st. We won't replace him. We won't replace hope, country, or Willsey defensivley or hrs. Really need Gozo to hit better which i think he will since its yr 2 for him...need him to pick up some of departures productivity.

All that being said I think jeweett hits his stride this year and we have good year and outperform expectations. Hopefully in a regional. Going to come down to pitching and recruiting. Jewett brought in a lot of guys, let's hope they're talented! Can't wait