Quarterbacks - We Need You

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Quarterbacks - We Need You

Post by tjtlja »

Right now our depth chart is Banks, a true freshman, a kid that was playing another position, and two walk-on’s. If Banks gets hurt, we are in a poop load of trouble. Besides Smith, are we recruiting anyone else at QB? Any JUCO’s? Any 5th year guys? We have to pray for a rabbit out of the hat and run a help wanted ad on Craigslist. Losing Brantley was big in my opinion. He played well this past year when given the opportunity. I wonder how much WF tried to recruit him to stay.
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Quarterbacks - We Need You

Post by sr »

One more time ... Amare Jones & Dane Ledford have played QB at a pretty high level. Let's see how all this plays out. (... and I realize Jones is rehabbing currently)
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

charlamange8
Navigator Level

Post by charlamange8 »

Ok, lets calm down...we have Banks a starter who improved as the season went on and gives us a true winner at QB.

We have Christian Daniels, a QB tailor made for our offense with his speed and arm strength, yes he is a true frosh, but he will have spring practice.

We have Dane Ledford, who was a pretty capable qb for Argyle High School a power (5A?) in Texas...you don't believe me...see below. We'll be alright.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4118429/57f ... 675c75fc40
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

charlamange8 wrote:Ok, lets calm down...we have Banks a starter who improved as the season went on and gives us a true winner at QB.

We have Christian Daniels, a QB tailor made for our offense with his speed and arm strength, yes he is a true frosh, but he will have spring practice.

We have Dane Ledford, who was a pretty capable qb for Argyle High School a power (5A?) in Texas...you don't believe me...see below. We'll be alright.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4118429/57f ... 675c75fc40
Agreed. And the main difference between LS and Ledford is that Ledford wants to be here. I'm totally over it. Let's move on. We have a good starter. We have good RBs. We have a decent OL coming back with some good FR OL coming in. Enough Chicken Little talk over a 5'10" guy who doesn't think we are a good enough program for him. If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will. I wish we could play Mizzou this season, we'd kick their @ss.

Pat White started out the season as a freshman 3rd stringer, then became one of the most prolific QBs in NCAA history. You just never know. Coach 'em up.

Has anyone figured out the back story on McClain?
Plan your work, work your plan.
PJR
Breaker Level

Post by PJR »

We are good at QB. Stop the worry.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PJR wrote:We are good at QB. Stop the worry.
I wish the OP had tried on a different tone but we are quite thin again and need to find the best insurance possible.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:
I wish the OP had tried on a different tone but we are quite thin again and need to find the best insurance possible.
We lack experience at QB--not necessarily numbers or talent--that remains to be seen.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:
We lack experience at QB--not necessarily numbers or talent--that remains to be seen.
We've got two scholarship QBs...we definitely lack numbers. And no, I don't count Ledford as a scholarship QB since we took one look at him last fall and moved him to WR.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

OK, folks, ml doesn't count Ledford so that's over with.

Was he moved because of that one look you mention in such detail or because we had three upperclassmen plus McClain (I do presume they preferred him to Ledford after that "one look")?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Ledford is more than capable of playing QB...so is Bradwell in a pinch...and Amare Jones. Ledford's move was more a product of what the staff thought of McClain.

We're still recruiting others to play QB that haven't signed elsewhere. There is no reason to panic. Hopefully we can get Riley Smith on campus. I think we're still recruiting Cordel Littlejohn as well.
This one belongs to the Wave.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm panicking, but I'm doing it in a cool way.

I'll stop panicking when I'm convinced we have a second QB who can win a game for us. The current odds of us having that in 2018 aren't good enough.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I actually agree with LG's last stance/post, but the contrarian in me just wants to argue its all ok because the situation is so much better than the tone of the OP implies.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

TU23 wrote:Ledford is more than capable of playing QB...so is Bradwell in a pinch...and Amare Jones. Ledford's move was more a product of what the staff thought of McClain.

We're still recruiting others to play QB that haven't signed elsewhere. There is no reason to panic. Hopefully we can get Riley Smith on campus. I think we're still recruiting Cordel Littlejohn as well.

I wish McClain would have reciprocated and thought that highly of the staff. Anyone know why he left? I have read 100’s of post how good this kid was and he bolts.

Where are Brantley and McClain headed?
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

McClain is at Hutchinson Junior College in Kansas. He'll have three years left after he graduates this year (received medical redshirt this year even though he played in a couple of games for Tulane).

I heard a rumor that Brantley was headed to Illinois State (not eligible to enroll at a JUCO so only way to not sit out is FCS route).
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

WaveProf wrote:I actually agree with LG's last stance/post, but the contrarian in me just wants to argue its all ok because the situation is so much better than the tone of the OP implies.

Please explain how the tone can be any different. Our QB situation as it stands right now is in disarray. To look at it any different needs to be explained to me. Let’s break it down further -

1. Banks - solid starter who improved steadily and can win games in the AAC.
2. Daniels - looks great on film. Is he ready to face the AAC? Many on here have questioned the competition he played against. I like him, but he is a true freshman.
3. Ledford - could not beat out Brantley or McClain and was moved to another position. Many on here thought Brantley was not AAC quality. What has changed?
4. Hurst - walk-on
5. Lapeyre - walk-on
6. Amare Jones - was not signed as a QB. Perhaps he will be the silver lining.
7. Bradwell - was 3rd string behind Brantley? Can he win games against the AAC? Besides, he is a damn good RB.

So there you have it. What tone could you possibly take? If Banks gets hurt in the first game, who do we turn to and can they win games against our schedule? And when was the last time we didn’t have a QB go down during a season? The situation is not good based on what we all know and there is no way to sugarcoat it. Daniels might be the second coming, but to bank on that as true freshman is super risky.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I agree that another experienced QB would help. Daniels could be an All American in 3 years but is he able to start this season if needed? The QB situation is compounded by the fact we lost what many say was our best returning OL further putting the QB's health at risk.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:I'm panicking, but I'm doing it in a cool way.
If I ever bothered to have a signature line, I'd ask your permission to use this.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:OK, folks, ml doesn't count Ledford so that's over with.

Was he moved because of that one look you mention in such detail or because we had three upperclassmen plus McClain (I do presume they preferred him to Ledford after that "one look")?
I don't think he was moved because Couillette was on the roster, no. Considering he didn't exactly step right in and contribute at WR, I think it's safe to assume we didn't see much of a future for him at QB.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

TU23 wrote:McClain is at Hutchinson Junior College in Kansas. He'll have three years left after he graduates this year (received medical redshirt this year even though he played in a couple of games for Tulane).

I heard a rumor that Brantley was headed to Illinois State (not eligible to enroll at a JUCO so only way to not sit out is FCS route).
If he went JUCO, there's probably more to it than the pursuit of Scott. If he didn't want to compete, no reason to jump the gun and transfer to JUCO now before there was even a commitment. He'd be sitting pretty had he just stayed.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Saintgreenie wrote:
TU23 wrote:McClain is at Hutchinson Junior College in Kansas. He'll have three years left after he graduates this year (received medical redshirt this year even though he played in a couple of games for Tulane).

If he went JUCO, there's probably more to it than the pursuit of Scott. If he didn't want to compete, no reason to jump the gun and transfer to JUCO now before there was even a commitment. He'd be sitting pretty had he just stayed.
Makes me think even more that his departure may not have been all football related.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tjtlja wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I actually agree with LG's last stance/post, but the contrarian in me just wants to argue its all ok because the situation is so much better than the tone of the OP implies.

Please explain how the tone can be any different. Our QB situation as it stands right now is in disarray. To look at it any different needs to be explained to me. Let’s break it down further -

2. Daniels - looks great on film. Is he ready to face the AAC? Many on here have questioned the competition he played against. I like him, but he is a true freshman.
3. Ledford - could not beat out Brantley or McClain and was moved to another position. Many on here thought Brantley was not AAC quality. What has changed?
4. Hurst - walk-on
5. Lapeyre - walk-on
7. Bradwell - was 3rd string behind Brantley? Can he win games against the AAC? Besides, he is a damn good RB.

So there you have it. What tone could you possibly take? If Banks gets hurt in the first game, who do we turn to and can they win games against our schedule? And when was the last time we didn’t have a QB go down during a season? The situation is not good based on what we all know and there is no way to sugarcoat it. Daniels might be the second coming, but to bank on that as true freshman is super risky.
Given your analysis, we would be no better off had we signed that person-whose-name-I-refuse-to-use-because-we've-already-wasted-17+-pages-on-him. No D1 experience, right? Can he win games in the AAC? Couldn't crack the top three in Baton Rouge, right? What has changed? See how easy this is?

QB is such a wild card in predicting who can succeed or fail, either in college or pro, that I am not panicking yet. We have three guys on scholly, which should be enough to get us through next year. Are they any good? Don't know, we'll see. Can we use a fourth/fifth/tenth? Yep. Is it the most desirable situation? Nope. We need more experience, but we aren't going to get it (unless we miraculously pick up a Dawkins from UA--a long-shot).

Coach what you have. I just hope the coaches have learned a lesson, which is to cut bait from a guy who won't commit to you after a reasonable period of time--or at least put his offer on a time fuse so as to increase negotiating leverage. That way, you spend more time on your Plan B or C or Z.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Absolutely agree, roto, though the thing being somewhat ignored is that we truly have no idea what other QB's we may have been recruiting all this time, and how intensely. For all we know, we might have a lead on some fantastic 4 star guy and it's all on the downlow.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:Absolutely agree, roto, though the thing being somewhat ignored is that we truly have no idea what other QB's we may have been recruiting all this time, and how intensely. For all we know, we might have a lead on some fantastic 4 star guy and it's all on the downlow.
That’s why the people saying that we wasted our time recruiting him are off base. You can recruit more than 1 QB at a time.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Rotorooter wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

4. Hurst - walk-on
5. Lapeyre - walk-on

Given your analysis, we would be no better off had we signed that person-whose-name-I-refuse-to-use-because-we've-already-wasted-17+-pages-on-him. No D1 experience, right? Can he win games in the AAC? Couldn't crack the top three in Baton Rouge, right? What has changed? See how easy this is?

QB is such a wild card in predicting who can succeed or fail, either in college or pro, that I am not panicking yet. We have three guys on scholly, which should be enough to get us through next year. Are they any good? Don't know, we'll see. Can we use a fourth/fifth/tenth? Yep. Is it the most desirable situation? Nope. We need more experience, but we aren't going to get it (unless we miraculously pick up a Dawkins from UA--a long-shot).

Coach what you have. I just hope the coaches have learned a lesson, which is to cut bait from a guy who won't commit to you after a reasonable period of time--or at least put his offer on a time fuse so as to increase negotiating leverage. That way, you spend more time on your Plan B or C or Z.
I think Scott could have beaten out Banks. His play last year was terrific and carried his team to the JUCO title. Why you think the coaches recruited the hell out of this kid which may or may not have led to one or two of our scholarship QB’ s to transfer. I think this is a lot different than the situations of Daniels, Ledford, and Bradwell.

Who is the 3rd QB scholly guy? Ledford was playing another position last year. Same for Bradwell.

And no need to panic anytime. We just need to sign a QB. If we don’t, we will have to do with what we have and the kids will have to perform.