Nifty 50

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Nifty 50

Post by GreenieBacker »

Final Nifty 50 rankings for 2018 signing class: Nos. 50-1

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ss ... river_home

for those of you old enough to remember the old Times-Picayune Blue Chip List, this is James Smith's version of that. Our highest rated recruit seems to be James, the DL from De LaSalle (#25), but we do have others on that list. And there's a bunch who haven't committed anywhere.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Nifty 50

Post by GreenieBacker »

As an aside, among 1-24, of those who have committed, there is not a single player who signed with a G-5 school. Also interesting to note how many kids were convinced to sign with that dumpster fire know as the Kansas Football Program.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I admittedly don't pay much attention to this list annually, but from what I recall seeing mentioned here, it seems like previous regimes typically had like three guys in the list, usually in the 40s, maybe one in the 30s. True? Or am I misremembering?

Of course, it's all just down time, water cooler talk stuff, since on-field results are what matter...
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

well Pete, looking at it another way we have the two highest rated recruits on that list of any G-5 school (at #25 and #26). Which is how it should be since this is our backyard, but wasn't always that way. Which leads me to conclude that we're clearly making ground up recruiting wise but that the P-5/BCS barrier still remains very difficult to breach.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote:I admittedly don't pay much attention to this list annually, but from what I recall seeing mentioned here, it seems like previous regimes typically had like three guys in the list, usually in the 40s, maybe one in the 30s. True? Or am I misremembering?

Of course, it's all just down time, water cooler talk stuff, since on-field results are what matter...
you are misremembering. Four in this top 50 is, I'm nearly certain, the best we've done in this list. Three in the top 30 is certainly a better showing than any other "last list" for Smith. Usually, we'd have none.

Maybe Smith is warming up to us a bit but any halfway careful reading of this list shows that the true intent is to crowd as many LSU signees and commitments into the top group as possible. It's instructive that the top two are an LSU commitment (Joseph) and a player that most observers now assume is signing there (Chase). They are technically "still out there" so Smith is polishing their apples and Ed Orgeron's.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I would love to see a similar list from Mississippi. I bet two of our recruits, the OL and the DL recruits, would have landed pretty high on a similar list.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:I would love to see a similar list from Mississippi. I bet two of our recruits, the OL and the DL recruits, would have landed pretty high on a similar list.
It's 247, but it's a start ...

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... l&State=MS
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

thanks sr!

well according to that list, we landed four kids in their top 51. I knew we did a terrific job in Miss. this year, nice to see it validated.

as for Jeffery Johnson, how many times can we say we beat out schools like Alabama, LSU, Florida and all three Div.1A schools in Miss. for a recruit? I'm still blown away that we landed him.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

To be clear, what I meant was that it sounds like we have more this year, and more highly-rated, than we ever came close to in previous years or recent regimes. So I think y'all are agreeing that I'm remembering those previous lists correctly, and this year is a marked improvement in Jimmy's purple-tinted eyes.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

The Kansas thing is so baffling. I know the coach with the ties here did a great job and will probably land at an SEC or Big 12 school very shortly, but Kansas. These kids need to learn the minute differences in starting talent between P5’s and the upper echelon G5’s. It is ridiculous how these kids are swayed to that BS crap created by the propaganda machine known as ESPN.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Their results are Anthony Williams of Hahnville, who has grade issues which I suppose covers "off-field" issues as said by Smith but might not and Corione Harris, who is also supposed to have grade issues. They may add to this but right now the big splash is Tony Hull piling up big commitments ten months before these kids sign with someone else. Jamarr Chase, Aaron Brule, Josh Smith, Devonta Jason, and Nelson Jenkins all committed to Kansas but aren't in their column now. I wouldn't be surprised if some people in Lawrence aren't nearly as in love with Hull as they were just eleven months ago.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Tony Hull is a great role model for young men. He got an education and worked for NASA for a few years (how many coaches can say that) before returning to coach high school ball. He coached (or coached against) a lot of the kids who are coming up in this class when they were Sophomores in HS, and he's a friendly face at an out of state program in a big conference where players can play as freshmen with no problem. That's the appeal of Hull and Kansas. For Pooka Williams, it was a school that was willing to take (and hold) his commitment even though its going to be a challenge to get him qualified. Nebraska and LSU were not willing to do that. Corione Harris also has eligibility concerns.

He convinced all of the players that LG mentioned to commit to Kansas as one but he wasn't able to keep the vast majority of them. The only ones left standing are the risky ones. Peer pressure is brutal on young kids and they all felt it that weekend, I promise you that. They got swept up in the moment and then most of them realized they screwed up.
This one belongs to the Wave.
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Number two was almost number one. Number one is an LSU commit. Wonder what the tiebreaker was?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

All I got out of this thread is that Mississippi does not produce a lot of college football talent
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:All I got out of this thread is that Mississippi does not produce a lot of college football talent
Walter Payton?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:All I got out of this thread is that Mississippi does not produce a lot of college football talent
Walter Payton?
What part of a lot don't you understand?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
Walter Payton?
Brett Farve?

Archie Manning?

Ray Guy?

Jerry Rice?

:lol:
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

This list is just BS when our DE from ST Aug never made the top 50.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
Walter Payton?
Brett Farve?

Archie Manning?

Ray Guy?

Jerry Rice?

I was going to go piecemeal. Jerry Rice was next.
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:
Roller wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
Walter Payton?
Brett Farve?

Archie Manning?

Ray Guy?

Jerry Rice?

Not to put words in FW's mouth (I could never do that!), but I think he is looking at the latest Nifty 50 out of the state of MS and only a handful have D1 offers. Which means, comparatively speaking, MS does not produce a lot of D1 talent in a given season.

With that, I'll add Marcus Dupree to the list. Of course, none of those guys came to Tulane.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:
Roller wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
Walter Payton?
Brett Farve?

Archie Manning?

Ray Guy?

Jerry Rice?

Not to put words in FW's mouth (I could never do that!), but I think he is looking at the latest Nifty 50 out of the state of MS and only a handful have D1 offers. Which means, comparatively speaking, MS does not produce a lot of D1 talent in a given season.

With that, I'll add Marcus Dupree to the list. Of course, none of those guys came to Tulane.
Well then he was imprecise because arguably the best RB and WR of all time count as talent to me.
#cousins don't count
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:
Roller wrote:
FW wrote:
windywave wrote:
Walter Payton?
Brett Farve?

Archie Manning?

Ray Guy?

Jerry Rice?

Well then he was imprecise because arguably the best RB and WR of all time count as talent to me.
yeah, but neither one of them played P5 football, so clearly they weren't any good.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

This list is just BS when our DE from ST Aug never made the top 50

I agree G-wave, I thought that was a bizarre omission. He deserves to be on that list
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

When I see Brett Farve {sic} I think of that Madden impersonator :lol: .
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TUPF wrote:When I see Brett Farve {sic} I think of that Madden impersonator :lol: .
Frank Caliendo?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson