2018 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
PJR
Breaker Level

Re: 2018 Football Recruiting

Post by PJR »

He would never play if this year is an indication of ability.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Ray wrote:
waverider wrote:This may (likely) have nothing to do with us, but considering our QB discussion I wanted to mention that Stanford QB Keller Chryst tweeted that he is transferring as a graduate transfer. Per Dan Wolken, he thinks Tennessee may be a leading candidate to land him.

I don’t think his offensive style is the same (no idea if he is a running threat) but if we want to throw more he could be an option if he’s a better passer than the ones we have.
His uncle (Paul Chryst) is HC at Wisconsin. Just sayin' .
Badgersare set at QB
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Saintgreenie wrote:A little surprising Riley Smith has no P5 offers based on his size and skill set. His stats don't light the world on fire but do seem pretty efficient.
And so it happens:

https://twitter.com/rileysmith_9/status ... 1776774146

Offered by Pitt.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Remember, this kid is a long shot. We must get him to visit.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

windywave wrote:
Ray wrote:
waverider wrote:This may (likely) have nothing to do with us, but considering our QB discussion I wanted to mention that Stanford QB Keller Chryst tweeted that he is transferring as a graduate transfer. Per Dan Wolken, he thinks Tennessee may be a leading candidate to land him.

I don’t think his offensive style is the same (no idea if he is a running threat) but if we want to throw more he could be an option if he’s a better passer than the ones we have.
His uncle (Paul Chryst) is HC at Wisconsin. Just sayin' .
Badgersare set at QB
Yeah, it seems so.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

tjtlja wrote:Remember, this kid is a long shot. We must get him to visit.
He committed to Boise this morning.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

It's not fatal if we can't get another freshman QB. In fact, we'd prefer a transfer...and there will be another round of those at the end of the school year and then after Summer school. I loved Smith's ability, and he's the last of the incoming freshmen that I know we're recruiting that I'd feel comfortable with sticking in a game this fall. I'd rather sit and wait. Even a guy like McMillain at LSU would be a really good backup QB for us. If he (or someone like him) can finish school before Fall and get a release, we'd gladly take someone with experience over a freshman and prepare Christian Daniels to start at QB in 2019.
This one belongs to the Wave.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Sadly, I'm coming around to the theory folks have posted that it will be very difficult to find quality QB's (and keep them) given the Offense WF runs. Hopefully he'll open it up more this next season and give prospective recruits a look at an offense they'll perceive as more balanced.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GreenieBacker wrote:Sadly, I'm coming around to the theory folks have posted that it will be very difficult to find quality QB's (and keep them) given the Offense WF runs. Hopefully he'll open it up more this next season and give prospective recruits a look at an offense they'll perceive as more balanced.
The thing is that WF needs to get someone that he believes a good fit, and he, and we, need not be concerned with stars. If we are truly going to be more balanced in passing and running, but recruiting rankings want someone who is going to excel at one or the other but not both (and hence have gaudy high school stats), then we're not necessarily going to need someone with a 4-5 star ranking.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TU23 wrote:It's not fatal if we can't get another freshman QB. In fact, we'd prefer a transfer...and there will be another round of those at the end of the school year and then after Summer school. I loved Smith's ability, and he's the last of the incoming freshmen that I know we're recruiting that I'd feel comfortable with sticking in a game this fall. I'd rather sit and wait. Even a guy like McMillain at LSU would be a really good backup QB for us. If he (or someone like him) can finish school before Fall and get a release, we'd gladly take someone with experience over a freshman and prepare Christian Daniels to start at QB in 2019.
McMillan tweeted months ago that he expects to be able to graduate in May (he was a mid-term enrollee as a freshman). He'd be ideal for our situation. No threat to Banks, a possible (some would say probable) upgrade to the backup slot, but not really a threat to make Daniels itchy to leave. He'd still be here in 2019 and if he's good enough could start then. If he stays at LSU another year his only real option will be to transfer to some Southland program back in Texas.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:Sadly, I'm coming around to the theory folks have posted that it will be very difficult to find quality QB's (and keep them) given the Offense WF runs. Hopefully he'll open it up more this next season and give prospective recruits a look at an offense they'll perceive as more balanced.
Stop coming around to that. That's an order. As long as Fritz is here, he and we will be fighting that perception. If you keep "coming around" the logical end to that process is to want Fritz gone. I'll make you either admit that or hold your peace. Don't even think I can't do that.

We need a throwback type. A guy who doesn't mind learning the option, doesn't mind occasionally spending one golden afternoon just handing it off and pitching it out, and won't transfer the minute he has a bad day. I refuse to believe kids like that no longer exist.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:We need a throwback type. A guy who doesn't mind learning the option, doesn't mind occasionally spending one golden afternoon just handing it off and pitching it out, and won't transfer the minute he has a bad day. I refuse to believe kids like that no longer exist.
Brett Favre? 8)
Plan your work, work your plan.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

To me, our offense has been a couple of tweaks away. We fixed some of our issues last year with a more mobile QB. The goal now should be trying to limit us to 6-8 planned QB runs a game. Just enough to keep the defense honest but not so much that our QB is getting hit constantly. Last year the more carries Banks had, the worse our offensive performance. We need to distribute carries to our stable of RBs, throw more easy passes (receiver screens, etc.) and play with a little more tempo at times this year. I'm all for milking the clock, but we have to do a better job of putting points on the board. That's the next big step for us. We have to find a way to consistently score in the 30s. Not 62 here and then 10 there for an avg in the 30s. We had too many games where we scored fewer than 24 pts (6). 8 games where we didn't get to 30. Yet, we avg'd 27 ppg because we had two blowouts and a couple of others in the 30s. We are 7-2 under Fritz when we get to 30. We are 2-13 when we don't get to 30. I know the numbers are going to be a bit skewed in favor of winning games where you score a lot of points but 2-13 when we can't get to 30 just shows that we can't afford to grind it out.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU23 has a good point. I'm still curious as to how much offensive game planning revolves around the OL's abilities (or lack thereof).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TU23 wrote:To me, our offense has been a couple of tweaks away. We fixed some of our issues last year with a more mobile QB. The goal now should be trying to limit us to 6-8 planned QB runs a game. Just enough to keep the defense honest but not so much that our QB is getting hit constantly. Last year the more carries Banks had, the worse our offensive performance. We need to distribute carries to our stable of RBs, throw more easy passes (receiver screens, etc.) and play with a little more tempo at times this year. I'm all for milking the clock, but we have to do a better job of putting points on the board. That's the next big step for us. We have to find a way to consistently score in the 30s. Not 62 here and then 10 there for an avg in the 30s. We had too many games where we scored fewer than 24 pts (6). 8 games where we didn't get to 30. Yet, we avg'd 27 ppg because we had two blowouts and a couple of others in the 30s. We are 7-2 under Fritz when we get to 30. We are 2-13 when we don't get to 30. I know the numbers are going to be a bit skewed in favor of winning games where you score a lot of points but 2-13 when we can't get to 30 just shows that we can't afford to grind it out.
Excellent analysis TU23. Tough to argue with. I do think that Banks' passing performance in the latter half of the season will convince Ruse to open up the passing game a little more. I, too, had a difficult time understanding our lack of throwing "easy" completions--i.e. short, quick passes in space. We had a great play against Tulsa utilizing Jones, who would line up to the right slot, cross underneath the line into the left flat and catch a short pass. The play faked a run to the right and was thrown to Jones that netted 12 yards. Never saw it run again. Instead, we throw a fade pattern to Jones repeatedly and never completed it. Frustrating.

A short passing game, sprinkled with our running game, will put the high test fuel into it. We'll need it, because our defense will not be as stout as in recent past seasons.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:TU23 has a good point. I'm still curious as to how much offensive game planning revolves around the OL's abilities (or lack thereof).
I think a lot of it.

I think TEMPO would help the line, if they are in shape enough because we don't sub packages to the extent our base offense set can't run pass plays.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

tempo should increase next year because of Banks' experience. Even our "Saints offense" under CJ could and did go (nowhere) faster in Lee's second year.

We stopped running outside late last year and stopped doing anything with Hilliard that wasn't a dive or a zone read off-tackle. That predictability made the OL's job harder IMO. Bradwell started making big plays late last year because the other defense didn't know what we were going to do when he was in there.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

If we aren’t going to sign any QB in the late period, how does this effect Bradwell and Jones?

I saw where Maurice Robinson committed to Grambling. That leaves us with Martin, Ragin, Norwood, Willis, Shaw, Griffin, the WR/TE from TN, a couple of kids that visited this past weekend from Texas, and the transfer from Rice as kids we are actively recruiting. Is that everybody? I think we will have a hard time getting Willis and Martin’s offer may have been pulled.
Last edited by tjtlja on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

tjtlja wrote:If we aren’t going to sign any QB in the late period, how does this effect Bradwell and Jones?

I saw where Maurice Robinson committed to Grambling. That leaves us with Martin, Norwood, Willis, Shaw, Griffin, the WR/TE from TN, a couple of kids that visited this past weekend from Texas, and the transfer from Rice as kids we are actively recruiting. Is that everybody? I think we will have a hard time getting Willis and Martin’s offer may have been pulled.
Bradwell isn't going anywhere. I think Jones is the emergency guy. Dane Ledford has officially moved back to QB.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Saw this today. Jamarr Chase flipped his Florida decommitment and subsequent injury into a spot on national TV:

Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Just saw some tweeted pics from Strength Coach Kyle Speer that showed both Davon Wright and Jeffrey Johnson working out on campus. I knew Wright was in but thought that Johnson, who was supposed to be a mid-term enrollee, said at the time he signed that he still had some work to do in HS. Good to see he's here, especially. A big guy like that needs watching, sometimes they can get too big too quickly.

I think that Christian Daniels and Chris Joyce are also on campus now.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

This isn't a Roll Wave commitment announcement (I don't think). It's a lyric from a rap song that's on an album that just came out today.

The Tulane Football account also tweeted a video with the lyrics and the music playing. The actual lyric is "sounded too lame."

I think this is just marketing/recruiting work; trying to sound hip and "with it."

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:
Stop coming around to that. That's an order. As long as Fritz is here, he and we will be fighting that perception. If you keep "coming around" the logical end to that process is to want Fritz gone. I'll make you either admit that or hold your peace. Don't even think I can't do that.

We need a throwback type. A guy who doesn't mind learning the option, doesn't mind occasionally spending one golden afternoon just handing it off and pitching it out, and won't transfer the minute he has a bad day. I refuse to believe kids like that no longer exist.
Fritz can evolve. I would be willing to bet the house that the offense he runs now is not the same he ran 10 years ago and that was not he same 10 years before that. Fritz isn't a system/scheme/guru coach, he is a program leader and manager. I believe he can change his offensive style he needs to. The logical end to "coming around" has nothing to do with fritz unless he doesn't evolve. When we complain or worry about the QB situation we are not 'questioning the Fritz program' as a whole, just the offense.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

I can't share the list this weekend of 2018 recruits who will be on campus but I'll say this: it's strong.

Among them (which is public already) is top 50 DT Alfred Thomas. There are more big names on the DT/DE list, and I'll leave it at that.

I should have Junior Day list soon.