Connor Crabtree commits for hoops...2018 SG/F

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
randymc
President's Circle

Connor Crabtree commits for hoops...2018 SG/F

Unread post by randymc »

Tulane gets a spring basketball commitment from Connor Crabtree a 6-6 North Carolina HS player who this year has moved on to Hargrave Military Academy for prep school. Joins Moses Wood as basketball commitments for next season. At this point, Tulane has one more scholarship to give in the spring. Crabtree made a Twitter post about his commitment to Tulane just a few minutes ago.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Connor Crabtree commits for hoops...2018 SG/F

Unread post by long green »

Some shooting, good. #3 needs to be a rebounder.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Marquette and Virginia were interested. Class looks super so far. Let’s get an enforcer in the middle.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Interesting fact - Connor spends most of his life as a lefty, but shoots a basketball right handed.

He reminds of a 6'6" guard Tulane signed years ago (mid 70's) who only played as a freshman and unfortunately hurt his back and never played again - Bob Uly from Connecticut.
Last edited by sr on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

sr wrote:Interesting fact - Connor spends most of his life as a lefty, but shoots a basketball right handed.
I can relate!
Victory is never permanent
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

OGSB wrote:
sr wrote:Interesting fact - Connor spends most of his life as a lefty, but shoots a basketball right handed.
I can relate!
My son's the same.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

It’s pretty obvious that MD likes guys this size that can play multiple positions. He sees them as match up problems for our opponents. I like the fact that he has one year post high school. It means he might be ready to contribute immediately.

We desperately need a big time rebounder.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

We need a good point guard. And these two Sudanese kids need to become factors next year or they are just wasting scholarships.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I definitely think we will sign two more and will probably get a transfer that will have to sit a year. Look for us to sign a PG and a forward. I think the two Freshman can develop if they work hard.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Wave Revival wrote:We need a good point guard. And these two Sudanese kids need to become factors next year or they are just wasting scholarships.
Was it Houston that had the S. Sudanese center that looked like an NFL tight end? But he moved to the U.S. when he was a young teenager. I think our guys will need another 18 months of three orders per day of gumbo to bulk up like that. I wish it were sooner but I don't think they can add 30-40 needed pounds by next season. I'd love to be wrong here.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Sorry guys. I'm at a loss here. I replaced my hard drive so I had to put in all new software. It may just be a problem with my (renewed) browser. I'll work with that. I know it's boring to all who see these duplicates. I'll keep a low profile until I'm sure it's resolved. Thanks for your patience.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Here’s what FTW tweeted about it:
BOOM. 6’6 SG/W commits to Tulane

Averaging 20 PPG on 50% 3P% this season. Great get. #RollWave
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I believe this is the kid who was visiting at homecoming. I saw him and his parents at practice, and Carter Nichols had a lengthy talk with him in the tailgate tent. Carter was impressed with him as a person (maturity, goals, etc.). I can say he "looks" like a college player. Solid frame, will get better with college strength training.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Unread post by SomeBiz »

Great get, make that a huge get. Love his vision, defense and quick release on shots. He looks like a game-changer to me. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get some major minutes his freshman year. Two-star rating makes no sense. He's a lot better than that.

His senior highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klyBwB0IgJo

Junior highlights also are worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhz4_PtJyg
Last edited by SomeBiz on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane class of '79
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Bob Uly was on the freshmen team with Tony Beaulieu and Luther Strange. I used to go to the freshmen games back then.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Wave Revival wrote:We need a good point guard. And these two Sudanese kids need to become factors next year or they are just wasting scholarships.
It's apparent Ajang is the better of the two. Koka has the deer in headlights look when on the floor. Ajang looks like he just needs more polish. I would be shocked to see both on the roster in 2 years, with Ajang the most likely to still be playing D1 ball.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

doc wrote:Bob Uly was on the freshmen team with Tony Beaulieu and Luther Strange. I used to go to the freshmen games back then.
,,, and Steve Stanley, doc.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Koka has not dressed the last few games (meniscus, redshirt?). The same goes for S Barrett.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Doc, what do they think about Koka & Barrett?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I don't know if any opinions have changed since the preseason, but they - at least the assistants with whom I spoke, and Troy Dannen as well - were very high on both Ajang and Koka. They raved about their work ethic (stories of struggling to get them to not hurt teammates in walkthrough drills because they don't know how to NOT go all out), raved about their conditioning (I think I previously mentioned their times in the mile but they blow away our entire team from back in my day, and apparently they can go all day), and talked about them being big factors in the future.

Whether the positivity about their futures has changed in the past couple of months, I can't say. Doc?
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

We don't get easy buckets in the paint. Even Ryan Smith developed a hook shot and could score with his back to the basket. If these posts can learn to play that way, extend there arms and score consistently, that would be a huge plus. The second thing is can they handle the physical game and rebound? Ajang looks like he can put on some weight, Koka, I'm not so sure. Osetkowski set strong pics, no one else can do this right now. The jury is out. The verdict could come in by this time next year.

S Barrett came out of Canada. The Toronto area has become a hotbed for recruiting in the past 5 years, and apparently the staff was excited to get Barrett away from other big schools. He has size and is athletic. I don't know about his shooting ability. From the little I saw of him, it looked like he wants to drive to the basket. He also had a meniscus injury.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

doc wrote:We don't get easy buckets in the paint. Even Ryan Smith developed a hook shot and could score with his back to the basket. If these posts can learn to play that way, extend there arms and score consistently, that would be a huge plus. The second thing is can they handle the physical game and rebound? Ajang looks like he can put on some weight, Koka, I'm not so sure. Osetkowski set strong pics, no one else can do this right now. The jury is out. The verdict could come in by this time next year.

S Barrett came out of Canada. The Toronto area has become a hotbed for recruiting in the past 5 years, and apparently the staff was excited to get Barrett away from other big schools. He has size and is athletic. I don't know about his shooting ability. From the little I saw of him, it looked like he wants to drive to the basket. He also had a meniscus injury.
My two cents for what it is worth.

In the little we saw of Barrett, he had the typical freshman "deer in the headlights" look. Most freshman have it as they get acclimated to the college game. Heck, Frazier had it his freshman year. You know if you have a player sophomore year when the big jump usually comes. When a freshman doesn't have that look (Daniels) you likely have something special.

Ajang looks fundamentally sound but doesn't play to his size at this point. He doesn't block shot shots and doesn't rebound like he should. It is going to take time. Given that we are 12-8 and not going to the tournament, I would like to see him start getting 10-15 minutes of playing time per game. We know what Paul is. Let's see if we can accelerate Ajang's development.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

it seemed pretty clear to me that this Staff liked Barnett very much. He was getting increasingly more quality minutes early on before he got injured. Pesonally, I wasn't so impressed but maybe that's why I don't do this for a living.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Oh, and apparently Guerry Smith shrunk him by six inches, he lists him at 6'

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 798fb.html

which, knowing how much Dunleavy likes big Guards, I find hard to believe.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.