Signing day thread

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Signing day thread

Unread post by waverider »

Might as well have one as the anticipation of 3 faxes looms over us. The December signing day has really made today anticlimactic. Gone are the days of following along from 6am until the last letter is faxed like we used to do.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Signing day thread

Unread post by long green »

It's certainly not the same but I still like the December signing date.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Alfred Thomas has signed. DT from Montgomery, AL.

https://247sports.com/Player/Alfred-Thomas-82789

very high 3 star, 19th best player in AL (247). #32 in AL by rivals, middling 3 star there.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4116656/5a ... 18743855e1
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Thomas looks to be an odd shape--6'0.5" 260 lbs. Too short to be a DE, too light to be a DT, too big for a OLB. But he can play. So it will be interesting how the staff develops him and how they will use him. Has good feet, so he can be a good defender. Position of need, too.

Welcome Alfred and Roll Wave!

I agree with LG, I like the early date. It really helped Tulane this year.
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

He's bigger than Griffin, who many on here wanted (I would have taken him). As for being "too light," he's in high school. He'll get bigger.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Rotorooter wrote:
I agree with LG, I like the early date. It really helped Tulane this year.
Early decision has vastly improved the academic profile of Tulane students and it will do the same in football. Doesn't totally eliminate the safety school strategy (see Norwood and Scott) but if you reduce it by 80% or so, you can see the impact it has. You can manage a handful of these folks as Fritz has done this year, you can't effectively handle a school bus full which was the case in the past with only a February date.
long green
Cornerstone

Keitha Jones has signed. Who is #3? fearthewave said expect 3 today. Personally, I'm hoping for Kurott Garland.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Anybody here seen Flight of the Conchords? There's a running bit on there about a girl named Keitha. It's New Zealand vs Australia type humor but still pretty funny.

Welcome to Alfred and Keitha!
waverider
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Anybody here seen Flight of the Conchords? There's a running bit on there about a girl named Keitha. It's New Zealand vs Australia type humor but still pretty funny.

Welcome to Alfred and Keitha!
One of the funniest shows ever!
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

long green wrote: Personally, I'm hoping for Kurott Garland.
Me too so I can hear him refer to his nickname (Prime) in the third person like he does on twitter!
Tulane Greenbackers

GoGwave
Crest Level

Unread post by GoGwave »

Tennessee is not doing well so I believe they did extend an offer to Norwood this morning (he will announce around 1pm). It also doesn't help us with Garland although he may surprise.
long green
Cornerstone

That's why 247 bumped Norwood up to a 4 star. They're trying to make Tennessee look better to their Vol fan subscribers.
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

long green wrote:He's bigger than Griffin, who many on here wanted (I would have taken him). As for being "too light," he's in high school. He'll get bigger.
Also that weight maybe at the beginning of the season. He may have put on more wgt by now.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
GoGwave
Crest Level

Unread post by GoGwave »

With Ole Miss just about filled and already having 4 players at olb signed la’dedric jackson might be our best bet for the next signing.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

any possible QB's that anyone has heard wind of recently?
Last edited by RI WAVE on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

go higher up in this thread. Never mind, saw your edit.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

long green wrote:That's why 247 bumped Norwood up to a 4 star. They're trying to make Tennessee look better to their Vol fan subscribers.
I don’t think that is accurate in this case. Norwood has only played one year of football and except for some tape on him from his senior year, there was nothing to go on. Many schools inquired very late and from what I have read, the fourth star may have been warranted.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Tyneil Hopper signed with Boise. They recruit nation wide and do a helluva job.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

We needed some breaks with the Vols today and that has not materialized. Hope Garland and Norwood surprise, but you would have to think both will sign with Tennessee. That leaves Jackson unless the kicker was given a scholarship. Has he signed yet?
GoGwave
Crest Level

Unread post by GoGwave »

It's not over yet with Garland. The Vols did get one of their priorities at DE with J. Mincy. They do have as many as 5 spots open.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

so we've signed a WR and another DT. Waiting on the third. Would love a LB.

what an incredibly strange signing period its been. In a good way because we had an outstanding early signing period.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:so we've signed a WR and another DT. Waiting on the third. Would love a LB.

what an incredibly strange signing period its been. In a good way because we had an outstanding early signing period.
The WR will be a linebacker. He could do with a year to grow but he has a nice frame.

This isn't strange at all. It's just different with the new signing period for HS kids.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

We moved on from Norwood earlier in the week (right after I posted the 80% to Tulane...d'oh). He verbally committed to our coaches but continued to take visits and wanted more attention, so we told him that we didn't have room for him. It was clear that he was using us as a placeholder and got lucky about 30 minutes ago when he finally got a Tennessee offer. If that offer hadn't come, he would've gone to Middle Tennessee State or UMASS.

We have one open slot for either Prime or Jackson. Either one would be awesome.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Unread post by Saintgreenie »

tjtlja wrote:We needed some breaks with the Vols today and that has not materialized. Hope Garland and Norwood surprise, but you would have to think both will sign with Tennessee. That leaves Jackson unless the kicker was given a scholarship. Has he signed yet?
Stockwell's HS did a signing ceremony an hour ago (https://twitter.com/PantherZone/status/ ... 4784162818).

Hopefully we find out soon if he was actually offered a scholarship (I'm guessing not, but maybe).
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

TU23 wrote:We moved on from Norwood earlier in the week (right after I posted the 80% to Tulane...d'oh). He verbally committed to our coaches but continued to take visits and wanted more attention, so we told him that we didn't have room for him. It was clear that he was using us as a placeholder and got lucky about 30 minutes ago when he finally got a Tennessee offer. If that offer hadn't come, he would've gone to Middle Tennessee State or UMASS.

We have one open slot for either Prime or Jackson. Either one would be awesome.

Who is the competition for Jackson? I agree, either would be awesome. We know Prime is looking hard at Tennessee.
Plan your work, work your plan.