Signing day thread

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TU23
President's Circle

Re: Signing day thread

Post by TU23 »

Saintgreenie wrote:
tjtlja wrote:We needed some breaks with the Vols today and that has not materialized. Hope Garland and Norwood surprise, but you would have to think both will sign with Tennessee. That leaves Jackson unless the kicker was given a scholarship. Has he signed yet?
Stockwell's HS did a signing ceremony an hour ago (https://twitter.com/PantherZone/status/ ... 4784162818).

Hopefully we find out soon if he was actually offered a scholarship (I'm guessing not, but maybe).
Unless something changed last-minute, he's a preferred walk-on. We still have one left.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:That's why 247 bumped Norwood up to a 4 star. They're trying to make Tennessee look better to their Vol fan subscribers.
True, in contrast to the Camel bump which was done after copious film study, extended conversations and careful consideration and was totally legitimate.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:That's why 247 bumped Norwood up to a 4 star. They're trying to make Tennessee look better to their Vol fan subscribers.
True, in contrast to the Camel bump which was done after copious film study, extended conversations and careful consideration and was totally legitimate.
wonderful, delicious words that you put in my mouth. There must be a special yogwf where you win all the arguments you can't let go.

I have no idea why they gave Camel the bump nor does it change my mind about these services and the very specific and limited job they do (make money).
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Do we take both Garland and Jackson if they want in?
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

tjtlja wrote:Do we take both Garland and Jackson if they want in?
We can't. We have one spot left with no room for additional players under the new rules.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Looks like the final signee is La'Dedric Jackson, LB from Alabama.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

congrats TU23, you called it (that Jackson and Thomas were probably a package deal- we get one, we'll get the other). Very nice call.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:congrats TU23, you called it (that Jackson and Thomas were probably a package deal- we get one, we'll get the other). Very nice call.
https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 0091641856
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

that elusive OLB we were looking for. A 3 Star on Rivals with offers from KY, LSU, Ole Miss, Louisville and Cincy.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

A real linebacker. I think he got banged up a senior. Was committed to Missouri at some point.
Last edited by long green on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Do we have any slots for a transfer QB after the Spring? Would like to think we have a shot at the Iowa grad transfer.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:that elusive OLB we were looking for. A 3 Star on Rivals with offers from KY, LSU, Ole Miss, Louisville and Cincy.
We were thin at that position, too. A good OLB is a great defensive disruptor. Welcome Mr. Jackson!!!
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

amazing how jaded we/I got this year over 3 Star recruits. We used to count them as rare as hen's teeth. Super, super recruiting job this year. Other than the miss on Scott WF just nailed it. Great job coach.

Roto, personally I thought that the OLB was a massive position of need.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:amazing how jaded we/I got this year over 3 Star recruits. We used to count them as rare as hen's teeth. Super, super recruiting job this year. Other than the miss on Scott WF just nailed it. Great job coach.

Don't pigeonhole him as an OLB (whatever that is) just because the services call him that. On his hudl he plays in the middle most of the time. After a year of growth he could line up in the middle. Getting him and Jones muffles the need for a lot of LB's next year (we hope).

Next year we need OL's in numbers, a couple of WR's, a really good TE, not quite as many DL's but some, and right now I'd say a mature QB plus a HS guy.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Man, just take a look at his offer sheet over on Rivals:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -interests

just mind boggling. With these last two we must have ended up with a top 60 class, right?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GreenieBacker wrote:amazing how jaded we/I got this year over 3 Star recruits. We used to count them as rare as hen's teeth. Super, super recruiting job this year. Other than the miss on Scott WF just nailed it. Great job coach.

I don't consider it a miss on Scott... I honestly don't think he ever gave us serious consideration. He wanted an SEC offer all along.

Where we missed was not keeping either McClain or Brantley for at least 1 more year... and if the pursuit of Scott hastened one or both of them out the door.. then shame on us for allowing that to happen.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He definitely considered us strongly but did have an eye out for an offer from a crap P5 program.

I no longer think Scott's recruitment chased the QB's off. Brantey wanted to start somewhere and he didn't care if he had to transfer down, which he did. McClain left for his own reasons. His announcement came well after Scott didn't sign in December. I rather think the departure of both QB's kept us recruiting Scott long after we knew better because we felt 1) it would walk things back 2) that Scott and his father (mostly the latter) alienated some of the other pursuers and thought they might just alienate themselves into our arms at last.
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

GreenieBacker wrote:Man, just take a look at his offer sheet over on Rivals:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -interests

just mind boggling. With these last two we must have ended up with a top 60 class, right?
Interesting to compare the "prospect's interest" column to the "visit to school" column. How confident are we in the accuracy of this information?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:

Don't pigeonhole him as an OLB (whatever that is) just because the services call him that. On his hudl he plays in the middle most of the time. After a year of growth he could line up in the middle. Getting him and Jones muffles the need for a lot of LB's next year (we hope).

Next year we need OL's in numbers, a couple of WR's, a really good TE, not quite as many DL's but some, and right now I'd say a mature QB plus a HS guy.
Any good LB is needed. I don't care if he's inside or outside. With last season's attrition, it was a massive area of need. His speed will determine where he fits in. However, a good, hard-hitting OLB can really make a defense. In our league, MLBs are not as coveted. But I really liked Marbley--he won the ECU game for us.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I would greatly appreciate it (and I'm sure all would) if one of y'all who follows this closely, and who knows where to find what in the recruiting subforum, could put together a finalized list of our signees for the year (early and late) with name, position, stars, and maybe 2 or 3 other schools they chose us over. A lot of folks don't look at the recruiting subforum and it would be nice to have it here summarized. Maybe even in its own thread.

I'd do it but it would take me 4 times longer than y'all because I don't remember where all the various posts with this information were...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Part of that is star inflation but this class clearly marks a step up in recruiting...congrats to the staff!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:
ml wave wrote:
wonderful, delicious words that you put in my mouth. There must be a special yogwf where you win all the arguments you can't let go.

I have no idea why they gave Camel the bump nor does it change my mind about these services and the very specific and limited job they do (make money).
Is that the yogwf where I'm supposed to know what you're talking about? What am I arguing?
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Amazingly strong class. Jackson and Thomas look like they'll be in the top 5 of our class according to 247. Very interested to see where we finish in the rankings.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Super pick-up with Jackson to end this class. The major miss was Scott and Coach WF will tell you this himself. The father played a very small part. Great job to the entire coaching staff!

Anyone going to the signing party please post what you see or hear. Thanks!

TU23, thank you for all the updates. Same to Feathewave.

One final question - if we find another QB before the fall, will the rules eliminate us from signing him?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tjtlja wrote:One final question - if we find another QB before the fall, will the rules eliminate us from signing him?
while this sounds negative, it's just the truth and that is there is bound to be one or two people who drop from the team after spring... whether it's grades, injury, a gentle nudge to the door.. whatever... so there should be openings for other players to slide in, if available
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest