We got screwed in Tulsa

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Re: We got screwed in Tulsa

Post by IM42lane »

Why are there so many grey areas when it comes to calling this stupid game? Yes, I said 'STUPID'!!!

I have grown to HATE this STUPID game of basketball. What exactly is a foul, violation, walking, whatever. It is so confusing to me at my age.

When in Hades does BASEBALL start?
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

IM42lane wrote: Why are there so many grey areas when it comes to calling this stupid game? Yes, I said 'STUPID'!!!

I have grown to HATE this STUPID game of basketball. What exactly is a foul, violation, walking, whatever. It is so confusing to me at my age.

Strike zones are always black and white
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

windywave wrote:
IM42lane wrote: Why are there so many grey areas when it comes to calling this stupid game? Yes, I said 'STUPID'!!!

Like holding and pass interference in football :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

windywave wrote:

Let’s face it. American’s don’t like sports with controversy and want things to be completely cut and dry. It’s the only explanation as to why Curling is so popular.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Tulane07 wrote:On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know if Tulane is selling those Mardi Gras warm up long sleeves? The white ones with the angry wave inside the mardi gras colors? I looked on the tulane site and didnt see any for sale.
They are Nike team gear and thus likely won't be sold to the public. However, I agree, they are missing an opportunity if they don't sell them. They are awesome. (I meant to mention them in my post last night but was distracted by the postgame frustration)

Not that it helps y'all but the second I saw them I messaged an assistant coach and asked how I could get one in a tall size, even if I have to mail them a check for it. :mrgreen:
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

We most certainly did get screwed. Sure we should have taken care of business at the FT line but the calls and non calls were ridiculous. It was just us as the announcers were in agreement on the issue. a real shame to see such a valiant effort by a short handed team wasted because of such poor officiating. You have to think Dannen will be all over the league office on this.
We deserve so much better
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

This is hilarious. Tulsa thinks they had to overcome bad calls against them! No mention of the hack on Reynolds of course.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/t ... fce58.html
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Charlie Dunn wrote:This is hilarious. Tulsa thinks they had to overcome bad calls against them! No mention of the hack on Reynolds of course.

If you think that's bad, go read their fan board thread on the game.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

Poor officiating in a game usually goes both ways and these refs were horrible. They seemed to be unusually focused on calling offensive fouls. Where the poor officiating really cost us the game (besides the obvious missed calls on the last shot of regulation) was the fact that we had 4 guys foul out. We already were short 2 of our top player and then we had the 4 guys foul out. We maybe rotate 9 guys max in a game and so take out 6 of them and you end up with 2 walk ons who had played a total of 5 minutes all season combined in the game at crunch time. It's a pretty good testament to the team that it came right down to the wire. Regardless of the close loss, this team certainly seems like it is headed in the right direction.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Conference should be embarrassed by that officiating last night... while both teams got forked, Tulane took it in the shorts far more often.. it's almost like they knew we had a short bench and the refs piled foul after on our bigs. Sehic had 1 less actual foul to give after that horsesheet technical foul... he also got one on an all ball block. Once we were in foul trouble, Tulsa had free reign under our basket for inside shots and rebounding. It was clear when we had a 12 point lead evaporate when our guys had to stop playing defense down low.

Blaming the refs is a loser's lament, but we had a game taken from us last night. Team played their guts out in an adverse situation... have to be proud of that.. but for fk sake, Riley Conroy taking the game winning shot? Seriously? I'm actually surprised it hit the side of the backboard and didn't just sail 4 feet behind the hoop.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Charlie Dunn wrote:This is hilarious. Tulsa thinks they had to overcome bad calls against them! No mention of the hack on Reynolds of course.

To be fair, we don't go out of our way to talk about calls that went FOR us on our board either.

Simple fact, the refs were bad both ways. I think most of our fans acknowledge that. We just have more right to complain because it cost us a "W" and didn't cost Tulsa one.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

PeteRasche wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:

To be fair, we don't go out of our way to talk about calls that went FOR us on our board either.

Simple fact, the refs were bad both ways. I think most of our fans acknowledge that. We just have more right to complain because it cost us a "W" and didn't cost Tulsa one.
I was referring more to them calling our players thugs, as well as some choice words for Dunleavy too.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:

I was referring more to them calling our players thugs, as well as some choice words for Dunleavy too.
Saying bad things about the opponent's players and coaches are sorta the norm on message board game threads. Been over to attom's lately? 8)

It's like reading the comments section of an online story or below a youtube video. The worst of the worst.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

There were some bad calls against Tulsa but I actually disagree with the ones pointed out in the Tulsa article.

It was a charge on that late play. They wanted to call a time out and Tapan pushed off in order to try and face the ref to call the timeout before the ball was stolen. Slater sold it as you are supposed to do, but it was a foul. I didn't see the water bottle thrown, but if he did that should be a technical. It's showing up the official.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Getting away from the officials for a second, what did you’ll think about Slater’s play last night and how would you compare him to Embo?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

tjtlja wrote:Getting away from the officials for a second, what did you’ll think about Slater’s play last night and how would you compare him to Embo?
I thought he had his best game in a Tulane uniform. 14 points, 7 assists and only 2 turnovers in 44 minutes and took two charges at big times. He played with a lot of confidence which I think comes with not looking over his shoulder wondering when he would be pulled. He did struggle keeping Sterling Tapan at times from getting to the rim.

I would say he looked more like a true point guard than Ona-Embo has this year.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

NJ, I agree with you a 100%.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:
windywave wrote:

Like holding and pass interference in football :wink:
And what constitutes a catch.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

NJwave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Getting away from the officials for a second, what did you’ll think about Slater’s play last night and how would you compare him to Embo?
I thought he had his best game in a Tulane uniform. 14 points, 7 assists and only 2 turnovers in 44 minutes and took two charges at big times. He played with a lot of confidence which I think comes with not looking over his shoulder wondering when he would be pulled. He did struggle keeping Sterling Tapan at times from getting to the rim.

I would say he looked more like a true point guard than Ona-Embo has this year.
That's the way I saw it too. He certainly had to gain the trust of the staff last night and the right to get a lot more minutes once Embo's injury clears up.
We deserve so much better
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Three seconds after the opening tip at Tulsa, Tulane guard Colin Slater was called for a foul. Twelve seconds later, post player Bul Ajang picked up another one, setting the tone for a whistle-happy affair.

But it was the consecutive calls the officials did not make — after assessing 49 fouls through the first 39:58 — that drew the ire of coach Mike Dunleavy and turned what could have been a fantastic, feel-good win into a frustrating 91-89 overtime loss on a two-game road trip that concludes Sunday at Houston.

Cameron Reynolds appeared to get fouled on the arm on a put-back attempt with two seconds left in regulation before grabbing his own miss and getting hit on top of the head as he missed a second attempt under the basket with the score tied at 80. If he had been awarded free throws, he would have needed to hit just one to beat Tulsa and give the short-handed Green Wave (13-10, 4-7) an inspiring victory.

"It was disappointing," Dunleavy said. "You work hard and play with guts and determination through a lot of adversity and weren't rewarded for it. I get that they want players to win games, but a foul is a foul. That's my opinion. If a guy fouls, call the foul."

Instead, the game went to overtime, leaving Tulane in dire straits that soon became untenable when its entire frontcourt fouled out.
Coming off heartbreaking loss, Tulane men's basketball team heads to Houston

It doesn't usually bode well when the article about the next game is all about the last game.
Victory is never permanent