Trent Johnson eager to put elbow concerns in the past

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Trent Johnson eager to put elbow concerns in the past

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Trent Johnson eager to put elbow concerns in the past

Unread post by Yankeewave »

two former AZ pitchers sounds good.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Nice that he wanted to come to Tulane. Of course he had a good idea he could get a starting slot.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Johnson could join Rummel graduate and fellow underused former Arizona pitcher Kaleb Roper
Unpossible. Everyone knows we don't allow Rummel graduates!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

how many of these transfers are coming out of big programs?

we could sure use some of the same types of results we have gotten in the past with transfers.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Yankeewave wrote:how many of these transfers are coming out of big programs?

we could sure use some of the same types of results we have gotten in the past with transfers.
Just Roper and Johnson I believe.

While we have had success with transfers from big programs, for every Greg Dini, I’m sure I could find you a Chris Oakley that didn’t pan out.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Both guys should do well. Consistency is what is needed - strikes. Both have plus potential, but let’s see how they do against live bats.....

AND I HAVE to MENTION ISSA today - he’s change his throwing slot (so I’m told), and he was PHENOMNanal today....

It wouldn’t surprise me to to see 2 of them (transfers) start this weekend.

One of the biggest changes you will notice is the size of the pitchers, and their velocities. Most mid 80’s+, but quite a few in the 90’s.

Strikes are being thrown more often. We do have one guy I call Wild Thing, but you can figure him out when you see him. Flame thrower. Just needs to get more accurate. Actually one of the most impressive pitchers to step on Tulane’s camps in a long time. .

Dave’s crystal ball lineup: (Please don’t put any money on this, and the Coach has not told me anything).

Friday - Roper (Gillies has a shot)
Saturday - Ben White is the biggest question mark - possible Saturday starter, but i’d Put him on the bubble.
Sunday - Johnson.. At least to start the season. Let’s see how effective he is, can he manage the zone (90+ power), and can he keep the bats off the ball.

Alternatives, or if I just guess wrong, for setup/relief/midweek - Massey, Solesky, Green, Bates, and McAffer. I haven’t even mentioned Koppennhaver, Price or Beej, or Pelegrín. All should see plenty of middle relief time. I should have mentioned McAffer and Green earlier. 2 solid closers (imo). As long as they are healthy, a very deep pitching staff.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

If you can screw your eyeballs back into your head after the UH game tonight, you can attend on next Saturday a basketball/baseball doubleheader with Memphis and then game 2 of Wright State opening series. I know its long range but forecast for next weekend is nice baseball weather. Dry with moderate temps.

I assume there will be some kind of combined ticket discount to promote attendance.
noladave
Regent's Circle

As for positions, I think a lot of things are up in the air.

3b - hoese
Ss - gozzo
2nd - i’ve Seen artiques, bedgood, galy there. Artigues with the edge, but bedgood has been hitting, and also playing 3rd (I assume as a backup to Hoese).
1st - I’d say Jensen starts, with Mathews coming in whenever a left hand bat is needed. Slatten has also spent time at 1st.

Of - Grant Witherspoon Pre sesason all conference, I say potential All American and high dfraft pick.
Other OF positions are wide open - Ty can play, when not playing catcher. Kobi Owen has seen playing time, so I’d say that’s the starting 3, but others will see playing time - Sepcich has shown some success, and I’d Ike to see personally see Glancy out there, but may be odd man out (my guess).

I’m guessing Rowland is DH, but may see some playing time in the OF.

Best news, is we have 4 healthily catchers. Acy Owen and Ty Johnson will be 1/2, but Revere and Neimann will be 3 and 4, and my guess is they could see mid week action, specifically on 5 game weeks.

Hey, that’s how I see it, I might have missed someone, and I apologize if I did. Same for mis-spelled names. I could be completely wrong on some of the starting positions, again, this is just my guess from watching over 30 - 40 fall and spring practices...... feel free to yell at me, if you fell the urge....
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Thanks Dave. You're usually pretty accurate with baseball scene.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote:If you can screw your eyeballs back into your head after the UH game tonight, you can attend on next Saturday a basketball/baseball doubleheader with Memphis and then game 2 of Wright State opening series. I know its long range but forecast for next weekend is nice baseball weather. Dry with moderate temps.

I assume there will be some kind of combined ticket discount to promote attendance.
Basketball needs the help after the dumpste fire tonight
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tulane49 »

noladave wrote:As for positions, I think a lot of things are up in the air.

3b - hoese
Ss - gozzo
2nd - i’ve Seen artiques, bedgood, galy there. Artigues with the edge, but bedgood has been hitting, and also playing 3rd (I assume as a backup to Hoese).
1st - I’d say Jensen starts, with Mathews coming in whenever a left hand bat is needed. Slatten has also spent time at 1st.

Of - Grant Witherspoon Pre sesason all conference, I say potential All American and high dfraft pick.
Other OF positions are wide open - Ty can play, when not playing catcher. Kobi Owen has seen playing time, so I’d say that’s the starting 3, but others will see playing time - Sepcich has shown some success, and I’d Ike to see personally see Glancy out there, but may be odd man out (my guess).

Best news, is we have 4 healthily catchers. Acy Owen and Ty Johnson will be 1/2, but Revere and Neimann will be 3 and 4, and my guess is they could see mid week action, specifically on 5 game weeks.

Hey, that’s how I see it, I might have missed someone, and I apologize if I did. Same for mis-spelled names. I could be completely wrong on some of the starting positions, again, this is just my guess from watching over 30 - 40 fall and spring practices...... feel free to yell at me, if you fell the urge....
Spot on Dave
This is my starting lineup
C Owen
1B Jensen
2B Artigues
3B Hoese
SS Gozzo
LF Johnson
CF Spoon
RF Owen
DH Rowland

Heinrichs plays outfield when Johnson catches Acy would DH

Pitching
Friday Roper
Saturday White
Sunday Johnson/Solesky
Midweek Massey

This gives us 5 starters for those weeks we have 5 games

Sepcich will make his way into the lineup as the year progresses
Bedgood will be a good player. Needs to hit the weight room

We have depth at pitcher and catcher but are short on position players

Odd men out for this year
Mangurian
Pough
Theberge
Abdalla
visualmagic
President's Circle

Anyone know if Ben White was dealing with injuries or something the past couple years at Holy Cross? Only pitched 20 innings in 2017 and 15 in 2016, but 61 in 2015 and 51 in 2014.
Interesting to me that his innings decreased to where he wasn't really getting on the mound much the past 2 years and now he's come in and is expected to be a weekend starter here.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Ben White is now 2 years removed from Tommy John surgery; he returned to form late last year and got the win in relief in the Patriot League championship game; Holy Cross went on to face Oregon State in a regional in Corvallis and lost 8-2. White pitched in relief in that game as well. He was injured early in his junior year at Holy Cross. He had a 3.82 ERA as a sophomore. He had a 3.18 ERA as a frosh. He threw 112 innings combined those first two years in college.
noladave
Regent's Circle

One thing I failed to mention, at least make a point of it, is that we have 37/38 guys on the roster, and have to be at 35 opening day. My guess is that we will actually be at 34.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

all I can say just from what I've seen about this kid is Artigues must be a coach's dream... recruited as a pitcher... played catcher out of necessity last year and embraced it... and I guessed he raked it big time in the fall

I hope he has an awesome year because he sure as heck has earned it!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
visualmagic
President's Circle

randymc wrote:Ben White is now 2 years removed from Tommy John surgery; he returned to form late last year and got the win in relief in the Patriot League championship game; Holy Cross went on to face Oregon State in a regional in Corvallis and lost 8-2. White pitched in relief in that game as well. He was injured early in his junior year at Holy Cross. He had a 3.82 ERA as a sophomore. He had a 3.18 ERA as a frosh. He threw 112 innings combined those first two years in college.
Thanks, Randy
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Johnny Mac wrote:all I can say just from what I've seen about this kid is Artigues must be a coach's dream... recruited as a pitcher... played catcher out of necessity last year and embraced it... and I guessed he raked it big time in the fall

And he has a 4.0 GPA
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Johnny Mac wrote:all I can say just from what I've seen about this kid is Artigues must be a coach's dream... recruited as a pitcher... played catcher out of necessity last year and embraced it... and I guessed he raked it big time in the fall

Interesting story about him as a pitcher. In high school he pitched against Grant Brown. Struck him out on off speed pitches