Venice without water

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Venice without water

Post by OGSB »

Couple of weeks old, from the "super blue blood moon":

http://strangesounds.org/2018/02/venice ... nking.html
Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Venice without water

Post by TUPF »

Seems like alarmist clickbait because buried in the article is the fact that the dry canals were on the the super blood moon, which would indeed cause large tidal variations.

Anyway, I’ll see for sure next month when I am there for a couple of days as part of taking my wife to see the old stomping grounds—Rome, Florence, Venice, Palermo/Cefalu, Sorrento.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

So much for the dreaded "sea-level rise."
Actually, this might be a good time to effect some needed repairs to walls that are usually inundated.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:Seems like alarmist clickbait because buried in the article is the fact that the dry canals were on the the super blood moon, which would indeed cause large tidal variations.

Anyway, I’ll see for sure next month when I am there for a couple of days as part of taking my wife to see the old stomping grounds—Rome, Florence, Venice, Palermo/Cefalu, Sorrento.
I'll be there in April on the embarkment/disembarkment of an Adriatic cruise and will be interested to see the levels. That being said, I could take or leave Venice - does little to inspire me. Rome and Florence are to me, much more interesting and worthy of my time and money.
Bring home da Wave!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

TUPF wrote:Seems like alarmist clickbait because buried in the article is the fact that the dry canals were on the the super blood moon, which would indeed cause large tidal variations.
Buried in the opening paragraph.
Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:So much for the dreaded "sea-level rise."
Actually, this might be a good time to effect some needed repairs to walls that are usually inundated.
A one-off event that hasn't happened in 150 years does not disprove a trend, but you knew that.

I’ve been in Venice when St. Mark’s Square was under 4 feet of water. The Italian government has been fretting about what to do for decades, but being the Italian government, it’ll just eventually be inundated unless some world body intercedes and I don’t suspect that will happen.

I like Venezia. Been there probably 10 times when it was a 45 minute train ride from my old high school and a few times since. It’s a place you should see once for nothing else but the novelty but a day or so is plenty. I’m glad I went there before cruise ships started inundating it. It’s half the population of New Orleans so if a 5000 passenger ship or three is inport, it changes things.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

How about Milan ??
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:

How about Milan ??
I’ve never been there but my daughter has and says it’s very cosmopolitan. Maybe in the future. I’m taking my wife to the places I know, plus a detour to Sicily for her roots tour. Her grandparents emigrated from a little town in northern Sicily in 1925 as adults a few years after her grandpa-to-be was a WWI Italian POW. I knew them well and they delighted in speaking Italian with me.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I've ONLY been to Milano, Stresa, and San Remo (and drove through Genoa to turn in a rental car). TUPF's list sounds more appealing to me.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Did a couple days in Milan then trained it to Venice for several days. Drive from there up toward the Alps for a couple days. Great little villages up there. Venice was amazing and old. Milan just seemed like another city to me
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PSA for anyone thinking about taking a trip to Italy.

It’s incredibly cheap and easy to travel there on public conveyances so I’d highly recommend it. If you rent cars, they are also cheap, but keep in mind you will be paying dearly for gas and driving in big cities is impossible, Rome especially. Think NASCAR with little cars with more than left hand turns. Stoplights optional.
- I used Italiarail.com for booking trains intercity which is kind of like Kayak—it gets you tickets from the official state sponsored rail, Trenitalia, at discounted price. I was able to book 2 tickets from Rome to Florence for 40€ and 2 tickets from Florence to Venice for 40€, all standard class with reserved seats. The only difference from standard to premium class is the seats are leather—same size, same luggage storage. All trains are super fast: Rome to Florence, 1 hour 35 minutes; Florence to Venice, 2 hours 5 minutes.
- Air travel within Italy if you want to save time on longer distances was also cheap on Alitalia: found $105 one way from Venice to Palermo, and $70 one way Palermo to Naples. They do charge 20€ for a checked bag, but still super cheap.

Using VRBO lodging exclusively this time so looking forward to see how that works out.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:PSA for anyone thinking about taking a trip to Italy.

It’s incredibly cheap and easy to travel there on public conveyances so I’d highly recommend it. If you rent cars, they are also cheap, but keep in mind you will be paying dearly for gas and driving in big cities is impossible, Rome especially. Think NASCAR with little cars with more than left hand turns. Stoplights optional.
- I used Italiarail.com for booking trains intercity which is kind of like Kayak—it gets you tickets from the official state sponsored rail, Trenitalia, at discounted price. I was able to book 2 tickets from Rome to Florence for 40€ and 2 tickets from Florence to Venice for 40€, all standard class with reserved seats. The only difference from standard to premium class is the seats are leather—same size, same luggage storage. All trains are super fast: Rome to Florence, 1 hour 35 minutes; Florence to Venice, 2 hours 5 minutes.
- Air travel within Italy if you want to save time on longer distances was also cheap on Alitalia: found $105 one way from Venice to Palermo, and $70 one way Palermo to Naples. They do charge 20€ for a checked bag, but still super cheap.

Using VRBO lodging exclusively this time so looking forward to see how that works out.
Rail systems are fairly awesome across Europe. We found Vueling to be a pretty decent, cheap airline as well.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

gerryb323 wrote:Did a couple days in Milan then trained it to Venice for several days. Drive from there up toward the Alps for a couple days. Great little villages up there. Venice was amazing and old. Milan just seemed like another city to me
... and El Duomo is just another cathedral and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele is just another galleria. Just so happened to be there during Fashion Week - let's say I've never been more impressed with a city. 8)
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Did a couple days in Milan then trained it to Venice for several days. Drive from there up toward the Alps for a couple days. Great little villages up there. Venice was amazing and old. Milan just seemed like another city to me
... and El Duomo is just another cathedral and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele is just another galleria. Just so happened to be there during Fashion Week - let's say I've never been more impressed with a city. 8)
So church, shopping and fashion. Yep, you got me there
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
So church architecture, shopping architecture and fashion women. Yep, you got me there
FIFY 8)
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote:

Rail systems are fairly awesome across Europe. We found Vueling to be a pretty decent, cheap airline as well.
Even in Eastern Europe, rail is the way to travel in-country. Airlines not so much....
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Even in Eastern Europe, rail is the way to travel in-country. Airlines not so much....
Cause they crash?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:
It’s Il Duomo. Italians are touchy about mixing in Spanglish. :lol:

Florence/Firenze is perhaps my favorite city in the world. The first time I climbed the interior steps to see the Duomo ceiling paintings up close I had nightmares for a week—real Dante Inferno, demons eating people sort of stuff.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:
It’s Il Duomo. Italians are touchy about mixing in Spanglish. :lol:

Florence/Firenze is perhaps my favorite city in the world. The first time I climbed the interior steps to see the Duomo ceiling paintings up close I had nightmares for a week—real Dante Inferno, demons eating people sort of stuff.
+1
Bring home da Wave!
JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Disappointed they didn't find any treasure.