PyeongChang Olympics

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

PyeongChang Olympics

Post by TUPF »

I’ve always loved both Summer and Winter Olympics. Had delusions of running the 800m in the Dave Wottle era. Ah, the folly of youth.

This is the only time I’ll watch weird sports...got up this morning and watched ski jumping. That’ll put hair on your chest.
Last edited by TUPF on Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: PeongChang Olympics

Post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:I’ve always loved both Summer and Winter Olympics. Had delusions of running the 800m in the Dave Wottle era. Ah, the folly of youth.

This is the only time I’ll watch weird sports...got up this morning and watched ski jumping. That’ll put hair on your chest.
Great interview on Adam Schefter podcast with Al Michaels last week before SB. The 70's and 80's were a different time, and the Olympics had meaning behind the playing field. I think globalization and political shifts have taken away the intrigue of the Olympics -as well as all the scandals and failures of the host cities. Let's hope that Paris and LA can turn that tide. The last several have been failed ventures by subpar hosts. The Olympics need a captivating, interesting venue, and Korea is just not it, despite the N. Korea element.
Bring home da Wave!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

You certainly won't get that venue out of the next Winter Olympics. Almost nobody wanted those games, to the point that all three European finalists pulled out. The only two left standing were Almaty, Kazakhstan and Beijing, China, both under authoritarian regimes. Beijing won by default. The Chinese have set aside two sites for those games, with the closest being 100 miles from Beijing.

I don't think having a venue like Paris and LA is the problem with the Olympics. I think the Olympics themselves are the problem. The financial equation doesn't work and the lack of rule enforcement (see Russians are banned...uh except those 160+ that aren't) makes the games a joke. I want to watch and cheer on USA, but I really have a hard time with all the noise in the background.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I’ll mark you two down as no. :-D
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: PyeongChang Olympics

Post by PeteRasche »

I enjoy watching the competition. I don't enjoy all the talk, scandals, interviews, even the endless "human interest stories". Unfortunately, that's what sports on TV have become (see ESPN). Somehow, networks have determined that Americans don't want to actually see sports, they just want to hear the stories around sports. So I find myself watching the games less every time around.

I also hate when it's in a time zone where we run across results on the internet hours before NBC shows it. Nothing like spoiling the surprise... Almost makes me want to avoid the internet. Almost.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:I enjoy watching the competition. I don't enjoy all the talk, scandals, interviews, even the endless "human interest stories". Unfortunately, that's what sports on TV have become (see ESPN). Somehow, networks have determined that Americans don't want to actually see sports, they just want to hear the stories around sports. So I find myself watching the games less every time around.
I agree. Also the X games sports are a turnoff for me too. I like the old school stuff like curling luge biathlon
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Watching the women’s mogul competition and I envision every one of them in a wheelchair in their 50s.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:Watching the women’s mogul competition and I envision every one of them in a wheelchair in their 50s.
Fake knees and fake hips...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:I enjoy watching the competition. I don't enjoy all the talk, scandals, interviews, even the endless "human interest stories". Unfortunately, that's what sports on TV have become (see ESPN). Somehow, networks have determined that Americans don't want to actually see sports, they just want to hear the stories around sports. So I find myself watching the games less every time around.

I also hate when it's in a time zone where we run across results on the internet hours before NBC shows it. Nothing like spoiling the surprise... Almost makes me want to avoid the internet. Almost.
Think NBC has given up the fight against the internet. Almost everything is aired live now.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
I agree. Also the X games sports are a turnoff for me too. I like the old school stuff like curling luge biathlon
Totally agree here...I'll add ice dancing to these modern day fake sports.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I've never cared for the summer olympic. I grew up obsessed with the winter. But somewhere in early adult hood all of the x games stuff killed my interest
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

US women beating the Russian women in hockey 3-0 in the second
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote:I've never cared for the summer olympic. I grew up obsessed with the winter. But somewhere in early adult hood all of the x games stuff killed my interest
Track & Field and boxing are the best. Nothing better. You've never been to a track meet. Very exciting and it's a sport that is under-exposed.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I've never cared for the summer olympic. I grew up obsessed with the winter. But somewhere in early adult hood all of the x games stuff killed my interest
Track & Field and boxing are the best. Nothing better. You've never been to a track meet. Very exciting and it's a sport that is under-exposed.
If you ever get the chance, attend a whole day of the Penn Relays at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. It runs like clockwork from morning to night, with races running every few minutes. Everything from top level high school teams to colleges and beyond including all age groups from all over the world. I’m pretty sure I saw Usain Bolt run there as a HS phenom from Jamaica. Since Franklin Field was built a million years ago and is hemmed in on Penn’s campus, it retains that old world feeling. It’s like you are watching Chariots of Fire.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TUPF wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
If you ever get the chance, attend a whole day of the Penn Relays at Franklin Field in Philadelphia. It runs like clockwork from morning to night, with races running every few minutes. Everything from top level high school teams to colleges and beyond including all age groups from all over the world. I’m pretty sure I saw Usain Bolt run there as a HS phenom from Jamaica. Since Franklin Field was built a million years ago and is hemmed in on Penn’s campus, it retains that old world feeling. It’s like you are watching Chariots of Fire.
I will. Have always been a T&F fan, and the Penn Relays have been a top meet since I can remember. Some day...
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

The absolute best part of the PyeongChang Olympics:

https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/ ... 4779577344

everything else will pale by comparison. Always love it when a brutal dictator and his dictatorial regime are lampooned with humor and shown up for what they really are.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

While I haven't been watching closely, I've been seeing headlines and checking the medal table. Even if my interest isn't all that all high, I still want to see the USA on top. Unfortunately this is swiftly turning into one of the worst Olympics for the US in a long time. The games are halfway over and we have a measly 8 medals. We are tied with Austria for 5th place in total medals. Several US favorites to win or medal in their events haven't reached the podium. Meanwhile, Norway, a Winter Olympic powerhouse for sure, has 19 medals.

To put this into perspective, the US finished the 2014 Olympics with 28 medals, second only to Russia's 29 total medals (and we know how legit that number is). I suppose there's still time to make up some ground, but this Olympics performance is becoming an embarrassment.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Ski jumping, downhill, speed skating, hockey, maybe bobsled. Everything else irritated. And I miss the coverage style of the 70s, when we just got run after run down the mountain without the extraneous human interest crap. I blame gymnastics and figure skating enthusiasts for that nonsense.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Well prof will be happy

:evil2:
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I cannot hear the Russian national anthem without thinking back to the Cold War.

Fun times.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Hey Russians, if you are going to cheat at least do it in something cool.

Curling? Are you kidding me? Anything that can be played with a beer in one hand is not exactly taxing.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Exactly why they had no business being at these Olympics. Sorry if that isn't fair to the clean Russian athletes (if there are any), but what they did 4 years ago wasn't fair to any athlete from any country.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Krushelnitzky took meldonium. Is it me or does that sound like a James Bond movie plot?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:Krushelnitzky took meldonium. Is it me or does that sound like a James Bond movie plot?
If they claimed they were injected with meldonium by a umbrella tipped with a dart, I’m with you!