Andy Cannizzaro reportedly to be fired Tuesday (moving)

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Andy Cannizzaro reportedly to be fired Tuesday (moving)

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:FWIW all the stories will mention LSU and the Yankees too.
Sure. But most of us don't care about them. I think it's a little tasteless to be happy about the failure of a former player of ours, regardless of the recent history. And especially if the stuff is true that he was having an affair while married with kids and another on the way. Yeah that's entirely on him but as a married father, I hate seeing that happen anywhere. His wife and kids have to live with that.
I also don't think that should be a fireable offense.
An affair isn't necessarily (although in the Bible belt SEC, it may be), but an affair with someone in the department or at the school certainly could be. We don't know all the details and may never.

Regardless, in the court of public opinion, especially in today's social media atmosphere, there is no way to spin having an affair while married with kids and one on the way as being acceptable behavior, and news stories will indicate the behavior was by "a Tulane grad".
Uh, read any news, fake or otherwise for the last couple of decades? :lol:

I agree with you, BTW.

It’s the same old story since forever, but folks need to understand that the goal posts have moved for any public figure. I take no joy in the cr@pstorm a former Tulanian is about to endure. I wouldn’t want to be at AC’s dinner table tonight... :(
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Well, the Nola.com article only mentions the LSU connection, so we can always count on them to omit Tulane.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Humiliation on so many levels.

Just a random side note, but his wife Allison is a TU alum undergrad AND law school.
Hell hath no fury like a spouse lawyer about to give birth scorned. My wife is an attorney and if nothing else, fear of Dante’s Inferno is a grand deterrent.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:FWIW all the stories will mention LSU and the Yankees too.
Sure. But most of us don't care about them. I think it's a little tasteless to be happy about the failure of a former player of ours, regardless of the recent history. And especially if the stuff is true that he was having an affair while married with kids and another on the way. Yeah that's entirely on him but as a married father, I hate seeing that happen anywhere. His wife and kids have to live with that.
I also don't think that should be a fireable offense.
An affair isn't necessarily (although in the Bible belt SEC, it may be), but an affair with someone in the department or at the school certainly could be. We don't know all the details and may never.

Regardless, in the court of public opinion, especially in today's social media atmosphere, there is no way to spin having an affair while married with kids and one on the way as being acceptable behavior, and news stories will indicate the behavior was by "a Tulane grad".
Uh, read any news, fake or otherwise for the last couple of decades? :lol:

I agree with you, BTW.

It’s the same old story since forever, but folks need to understand that the goal posts have moved for any public figure. I take no joy in the cr@pstorm a former Tulanian is about to endure. I wouldn’t want to be at AC’s dinner table tonight... :(
The bomb was dropped. The mushroom cloud is ever expanding and the fallout is trickling down. Besides AC the other party's family gets dragged into this. One can only hope it stops there and doesn't spread ...
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I made some popcorn and then clicked on this thread and the entertainment level has been good, but not what I had hoped for...

the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!

the comments on nola dot com are entertaining as well... "bat in the wrong dugout"... "rounding second base with a coed".. "don't stick your peter in your payroll"... some quality comedy
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Yankeewave wrote:i think we are letting the annoyance we feel with a couple of posters who really like AC and repeatedly post about him cloud our judgment. this is not a good thing for anyone, especially the families.
Yes and no. Yes, I'm thinking about some people who put their notion of the Tulane Baseball Family above Tulane Athletics. In fact, I noticed one of them lurking earlier. He hasn't yet posted anything. No, MY judgment is crystal clear.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:The bomb was dropped. The mushroom cloud is ever expanding and the fallout is trickling down. Besides AC the other party's family gets dragged into this. One can only hope it stops there and doesn't spread ...
Fallout of both the public relations and nuclear kind is insidious. If AC’s lawyer spouse is the least bit vindictive he is going to wind up in a one bedroom apartment doing uniform laundry/coaching for a DIII school until his purgatory is served. Of course he’ll pop up somewhere again in a few years but the next few might not be pretty.

As for the nuclear kind of fallout—true story. During the 80s right after Chernobyl our submarine tender’s radiacs were registering measurable nasty stuff and that was in Sardinia, 1000 miles away. :shock:
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Johnny Mac wrote:the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!
Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:The bomb was dropped. The mushroom cloud is ever expanding and the fallout is trickling down. Besides AC the other party's family gets dragged into this. One can only hope it stops there and doesn't spread ...
Fallout of both the public relations and nuclear kind is insidious. If AC’s lawyer spouse is the least bit vindictive he is going to wind up in a one bedroom apartment doing uniform laundry/coaching for a DIII school until his purgatory is served. Of course he’ll pop up somewhere again in a few years but the next few might not be pretty.

As for the nuclear kind of fallout—true story. During the 80s right after Chernobyl our submarine tender’s radiacs were registering measurable nasty stuff and that was in Sardinia, 1000 miles away. :shock:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... sea_mining

You'll like this TUPF. partially, on same subject of book Blind's Man Bluff. yes, threadjack.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!
I must say that when I was given a personal tour of all the athletic facilities back in December, the staff was young, vivacious, and a credit to the university.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

As someone who was friends who with Andy in college (and knew his wife as well), I hate to see this. I wish him no ill will. Now, let's be bigger people, and move on, and hope he lands on his feet, and hope WE kick the sh t out of Ole Miss this weekend.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

NJwave wrote:Besides being swept by the in state school you don’t acknowledge exists, any idea what he did?
No, but it's for cause, so there's something there. No idea what yet, other than rumors I don't credit enough to repeat.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GretnaGrn wrote:
NJwave wrote:Besides being swept by the in state school you don’t acknowledge exists, any idea what he did?
No, but it's for cause, so there's something there. No idea what yet, other than rumors I don't credit enough to repeat.
From what I've read it was someone within the AD's office working with football ops.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

I am assuming I am the one closest to Mississippi State here (they were my first college team, until I got to Tulane, I went to grad school there, and I still follow their teams). Starkville is very small town but they're also very into winning, and aware that they can't hire away the Nick Sabans of the world. Andy C led them to a successful year last year; they're not so impatient as to find a pretext to fire him over an opening weekend (one wonders if the team knew this was coming and this affected their performance). Right now, all we have is rumors but I would tend to think if it were simply an affair between consenting adults this would have been hushed up.

I hate this for Andy C., and for MSU. Certainly, it makes Dannen's choice look all the more sound but I would rather have to endure the pro-Andy crowd around here than have this happen. I can't take joy in a member of the family likely losing his career, and perhaps more, depending upon the details.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

Per a friend and member of the club we belong to in NC, who is a Bull Dog booster, AC was loved by the alumni / fans and he asked me how we let him get away from TU. I told him I had no answer. This is a sad day for AC and his family. Prayers going out for them.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yankeewave wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... sea_mining

You'll like this TUPF. partially, on same subject of book Blind's Man Bluff. yes, threadjack.
My wife and I are big believers in recycle/reuse.

But of course I wouldn’t know, wasn’t there, and have no such knowledge of any operation.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

Engineering is very big at MS State. The person that the school is named after is a very big booster. Don't mess with that person or his family.....
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

sr wrote:
Read the paragraph before the one you quoted and it's clear JM is just trying to stir people up so he has more popcorn-worthy stuff to read.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

So when is the press conference?
Victory is never permanent
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:
Read the paragraph before the one you quoted and it's clear JM is just trying to stir people up so he has more popcorn-worthy stuff to read.
Obviously PR - just looking for an opportunity to use 'disparage' ...
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

long green wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:i think we are letting the annoyance we feel with a couple of posters who really like AC and repeatedly post about him cloud our judgment. this is not a good thing for anyone, especially the families.
Yes and no. Yes, I'm thinking about some people who put their notion of the Tulane Baseball Family above Tulane Athletics. In fact, I noticed one of them lurking earlier. He hasn't yet posted anything. No, MY judgment is crystal clear.
Well stated.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
Just a random side note, but his wife Allison is a TU alum undergrad AND law school.
He's fooked
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Officially a resignation (yeah right). The only public statement so far from Canizaro:
"I had a wonderful opportunity at Mississippi State, but unfortunately I made some poor decisions. I hope Mississippi State University and all of the fans and people affected will one day forgive me."
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

I think all of us agree that judgement of character in a coach should be one deciding factor in whether or not he is hired. I'd like to think that Dannen has a sixth sense about it and that is why he went in a different direction. I really don't know, other than hindsight is 20/20 and it is possible it was luck or that Jewett is/was a better candidate.

As for Cowen in 1998, RR hadn't shown his true colors yet and that was just a screwup in a decade of screwups, imho. Trying to be the smartest-person-in-the-room type of thing.

Spilt milk. Onward.
Plan your work, work your plan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote:Trying to be the smartest-person-in-the-room type of thing.
You're not the first person to use this term in relation to the RR decision in 98, but it just doesn't seem to fit to me. I do think it was a colossal mistake to pass on RR in 98, but I don't think it was anyone trying to "outsmart" people. It comes across more to me that RR's demeanor, colorful language, and irreverent personality didn't sit well with an Academic who was famously obsessed with appearances. The academic got hung up on that, and never got past it.
Last edited by WaveProf on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16