Andy Cannizzaro reportedly to be fired Tuesday (moving)

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Re: Andy Cannizzaro reportedly to be fired Tuesday (moving)

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Rotorooter wrote:I think all of us agree that judgement of character in a coach should be one deciding factor in whether or not he is hired. I'd like to think that Dannen has a sixth sense about it and that is why he went in a different direction. I really don't know, other than hindsight is 20/20 and it is possible it was luck or that Jewett is/was a better candidate.

As for Cowen in 1998, RR hadn't shown his true colors yet and that was just a screwup in a decade of screwups, imho. Trying to be the smartest-person-in-the-room type of thing.

Spilt milk. Onward.
Truth.

We will never know what could have been. Was RR that way back then? I don't know. Would either have them have given into temptations here? Would they have just gained 35 pounds here and dead ended themselves?

I did read up about RR's wife and she completely poured herself into his career, even volunteering to do the grounds work chalking up the lines at one of his schools in West Virginia while they waited for him to get discovered. Delayed having a family. And this is how he repays her loyalty with all of this drama - and apparently he has had serious financial issues with real estate investments going sideways and lawsuits. The grass is not always greener in the big leagues.

Either Andy or Rich Rod could have very well bloomed where planted, but that's not what happened and I agree that the chapter on that has closed and we have some good news to focus on right here right now: We swept our opening series, Willie Fritz got an amazing class, and football was fun again to watch last year.

Can't wait to see what happens next. Roll on, Tulane.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Prof, you lost me at “your” {sic}. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Unread post by Saintgreenie »

While Cannizaro's firing is nothing to celebrate, I do think the silver lining is it didn't happen here and it is evidence that TD may be a good judge of character. That's all that really needs to be said about it I think.

FWIW, WWL's post about it mentions LSU but not Tulane. Haven't checked other local outlets, but don't really expect much different.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

As much as some want to portray this as a brilliantly prescient move by Dannen, I suspect there was nothing character-wise going on in any of the interviews that led to the decision to go with TJ. The idea that TD knew about this affair is ludicrous because Andy was an assistant at LSU when he interviewed with Tulane. And there's no way to know the same thing would have occurred at Tulane, had Andy been hired. If Tulane's vetting company could identify a character trait in Andy that was so strong that we passed him over only because we thought he'd be likely to get caught in a personal scandal, then there's some real voodoo going on with that company and a lot of folks ought to be beating down their door. :shock:
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Officially "resigned" today. Citing bad decisions made.

His (alledged) bad decision:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:As much as some want to portray this as a brilliantly prescient move by Dannen, I suspect there was nothing character-wise going on in any of the interviews that led to the decision to go with TJ. The idea that TD knew about this affair is ludicrous because Andy was an assistant at LSU when he interviewed with Tulane. And there's no way to know the same thing would have occurred at Tulane, had Andy been hired. If Tulane's vetting company could identify a character trait in Andy that was so strong that we passed him over only because we thought he'd be likely to get caught in a personal scandal, then there's some real voodoo going on with that company and a lot of folks ought to be beating down their door. :shock:
Agree. We had a CEO who lasted at Lockheed Martin for about 15 minutes (just before the current female CEO, who has done quite well) because he, as windy hilariously put it, was fishing off the company pier and someone reported it on the 1-800-I’M-STUPID line. If a Fortune 100 company can’t vet it right in its own midst there’s little hope for small scale operations.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:I think all of us agree that judgement of character in a coach should be one deciding factor in whether or not he is hired. I'd like to think that Dannen has a sixth sense about it and that is why he went in a different direction. I really don't know, other than hindsight is 20/20 and it is possible it was luck or that Jewett is/was a better candidate.

As for Cowen in 1998, RR hadn't shown his true colors yet and that was just a screwup in a decade of screwups, imho. Trying to be the smartest-person-in-the-room type of thing.

Spilt milk. Onward.
Kinda silly to think this had any part of our decision not to hire AC imo. I'm sure TD is smiling internally due to all the crud he took last year but to retroactively credit him with some magic 8 ball seems like wishful thinking.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

ml wave wrote:

Spilt milk. Onward.
Kinda silly to think this had any part of our decision not to hire AC imo. I'm sure TD is smiling internally due to all the crud he took last year but to retroactively credit him with some magic 8 ball seems like wishful thinking.
Not saying it did. In fact, I am saying he had to have a sixth sense for it to weigh in on that decision (and I'd like to think he does, unlike his predecessor), but it was more likely luck that a better candidate came along and he didn't hire Andy, even with all the internal pressure to do so. We actually agree, though your comprehension skills need work.
Plan your work, work your plan.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Another former player is affected as well. Jake Gautreau moved his family up there to work under Andy.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Spilt milk. Onward.
Not saying it did. In fact, I am saying he had to have a sixth sense for it to weigh in on that decision (and I'd like to think he does, unlike his predecessor), but it was more likely luck that a better candidate came along and he didn't hire Andy, even with all the internal pressure to do so. We actually agree, though your comprehension skills need work.
ok
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

JG should be safe for this year - yes?
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Yeah, there's a big difference in saying TD may be a good judge of character and that he is some wizard that predicted this would happen. I don't think anyone is saying that.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!
Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here
I must say that when I was given a personal tour of all the athletic facilities back in December, the staff was young, vivacious, and a credit to the university.
What I meant is he may not have "clicked" with anyone on staff.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

waverider wrote:Officially "resigned" today. Citing bad decisions made.

Better than Monica Lewinsky or a Waffle House Manager
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

windywave wrote:

Indeed. Much better decision from that angle.

Still not worth the cost, though.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:
TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:the people who think we dodged a bullet here, you have to consider the fact we may not have had a person in the AD office he'd want to fornicate with and would thus still be our head coach!!
Let's not disparage the Tulane Staff here
I must say that when I was given a personal tour of all the athletic facilities back in December, the staff was young, vivacious, and a credit to the university.
What I meant is he may not have "clicked" with anyone on staff.
Gotcha.

I have to say, I’m proud of this thread so far for not commenting on waverider’s visual post.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

You made a liar out of me, windy and Quaker, by one minute.
Last edited by TUPF on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Wandering Quaker wrote:
windywave wrote:

Indeed. Much better decision from that angle.

Still not worth the cost, though.
Definetly not worth the cost.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:You made a liar out of me, Quaker, by one minute.
Ahem
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
Ahem
I corrected my post. Moving too fast now. :lol:
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ahem
Still infinitely better than it's being handled over on Tigerdroppings.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Saintgreenie wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
Ahem
Still infinitely better than it's being handled over on Tigerdroppings.
Defends on one's definition of better
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I feel badly for AC and his family, perhaps they can come out of this a stronger family. I'm also hoping that while we wish AC and his family the best that we can now all come together and support the current Coaching Staff at Tulane minus the second guessing.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

Can members of their current team transfer without sitting out a season (due to coaching change hardship?)? If so, we could probably pick up a recruit or two. Also, it would mend some fences if we found an assistant role for Jake G (assuming he will be without a job at end of season). Maybe he will be happy being our assistant (vs. thinking he should be our head coach).
BS '99
MBA 2007
windywave
Emerald Circle

I would really like it if she was involved with Mullens and UF fires him too
#cousins don't count