Baseball not getting much respect

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Baseball not getting much respect

Unread post by StPeteWave »

Ole Miss drops from 9th to 12th after sweeping us. :roll:
randymc
President's Circle

Re: Baseball not getting much respect

Unread post by randymc »

actually you are mistaken.
You are referring to the No. 12 ranking for Ole Miss in the Baseball America poll. In that poll, the Rebs were No. 16 in the previous week. So, the Rebs moved up 4 spots after sweeping Tulane.
The No. 9 ranking of Ole Miss is at D1 Baseball. The Rebs were No. 9 before beating us three in a row; and they are still no. 9 after beating us like a spoiled child.
https://d1baseball.com/rankings/d1baseb ... 25-feb-26/
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

I am not completely dismayed over losing 3 on the road to a top ten or 15 (depending on poll) team this early in a season full of question marks.

would be nice to go 3-2 this week or heck, 4-1.. all starts with taking both from Lamar today and tomorrow!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

What is dismaying was the amount of errors and relief pitching.

I hope the errors are a matter of nerves and self imposed pressure rather than true ability of our defense, but it was ugly this past weekend and painful to watch.

Our pitching, well we'll just have to hold our breathe after starters leave the game.
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

Wavery wrote:What is dismaying was the amount of errors and relief pitching.

I hope the errors are a matter of nerves and self imposed pressure rather than true ability of our defense, but it was ugly this past weekend and painful to watch.

Our pitching, well we'll just have to hold our breathe after starters leave the game.
We committed 3 errors in 3 games. Don't get me wrong that's 3 too many but I don't think that it's dismaying but that's just MHO. I too would like to see no errors in all games but I digress.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

djh wrote:
Wavery wrote:What is dismaying was the amount of errors and relief pitching.

We committed 3 errors in 3 games. Don't get me wrong that's 3 too many but I don't think that it's dismaying but that's just MHO. I too would like to see no errors in all games but I digress.
We misplayed at least 2 balls in the outfield that weren't scored as errors but led to runs. I think there were a couple more plays that could/should have been made and weren't.
Wavefam985
Trainer

Unread post by Wavefam985 »

I thought that the biggest difference between the two clubs over the weekend was pitching. Ole Miss had 8 guys or so pitch over the weekend - with the exception of 1 lefty who pitched Sunday (he was 88-90), every pitcher that they trotted out was 90-93 and two guys bumped 95-96 at times. They all pounded the zone. Ole Miss pitching depth was WAY better than ours, and feel confident that it will be that way for most of Ole Miss' opponents. I do like our staff and also believe that our freshman relief guys (Pellerin, Celluchi, Bates, etc...) will continue to improve as they settle into their roles. Not an easy environment to pitch in at Ole Miss as a freshman in week 2 of the season. Looking at the schedule at he beginning of the season, I thought that if we could manage being somewhere around .500 after the Cal St. weekend that we would be set up well for conference play.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

If we are going to make the post season those plays must be made. As noted they weren't scored as errors but clearly should have been made.

The starting pitching has been ok. We are still walking and hitting too many batters. The relief pitching is dicey and maybe once our starters can go deeper in games that will help out. Lots of ball to be played.
We deserve so much better
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Not upset over the loss, which not sure is a good thing since I should be expecting more. Still not where we need to be program-wise. We have some good players and some ok players. I miss the days when we had excellent players, and a Coach who could make lemonade from rinds even in a "down" year.

I thought our lesson in this loss is that it would make us stronger for conference play, but we have strong opponents to look forward to.

Too soon to tell I guess. The team needs a signature win, or consistent winning.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Not upset over the loss, which not sure is a good thing since I should be expecting more. Still not where we need to be program-wise. We have some good players and some ok players. I miss the days when we had excellent players, and a Coach who could make lemonade from rinds even in a "down" year.

I thought our lesson in this loss is that it would make us stronger for conference play, but we have strong opponents to look forward to.

Too soon to tell I guess. The team needs a signature win, or consistent winning.
My feelings at this point are the exact opposite of this.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

DrHullabaloo wrote: and a Coach who could make lemonade from rinds even in a "down" year.
When did we ever have that?

I'm optimistic with the way the coach has handled this squad. The talent may be modest, but they are playing well, he's giving a lot of player playing time, and he's using the pitchers judiciously. I have no idea whether he will be able to amass the talent that we need - but we'll find out soon enough. But I think this team is doing a good job.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

GSx wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote: and a Coach who could make lemonade from rinds even in a "down" year.

I'm optimistic with the way the coach has handled this squad. The talent may be modest, but they are playing well, he's giving a lot of player playing time, and he's using the pitchers judiciously. I have no idea whether he will be able to amass the talent that we need - but we'll find out soon enough. But I think this team is doing a good job.
Pierce
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:
GSx wrote:

Pierce
It was obvious to whom DrH was referring and obvious why gsx said what he said. Thanks
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
GSx wrote:

Pierce
It was obvious to whom DrH was referring and obvious why gsx said what he said. Thanks

I guess I’m missing something then. Thanks.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
GSx wrote:

Pierce

I guess I’m missing something then. Thanks.
Maybe I just should have put the thanks Captain obvious picture up. I'm not saying anything about Jones either way, just that we all knew who both were talking about
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

Doesn’t seem like gsx knew.
And I could see how that description wouldn’t make someone immediately think of Pierce.
You could say that describes what he did in 2015 but it was basically the same roster in 2016 and nobody would say that we lacked talent in 2016.