LSU and Mitchell Robinson in Yahoo hoops fraud story

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: LSU and Mitchell Robinson in Yahoo hoops fraud story

Post by Baywave1 »

Enough of Miller's "clients" who received "loans" signed rich NBA contracts. Facts will come out eventually as to whether these were repaid or not. I guess they were.

Ironically if I had to make a true WAG here (nothing semi-about it), the players who did not retain Miller as an agent entering the NBA are the ones who may have not repaid the "loans" and have the potential tax issues. How was Miller going to collect? Call 911? Turn in the coach bag men?
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

gerryb323 wrote:So Sean Miller's buyout doubles if he's fired for cause vs without cause due to an apparent contact mistake by Arizona. Fun!
I guess the message from the Arizona administration was "if you're not cheating, you're not trying!"
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Johnny4 wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:So Sean Miller's buyout doubles if he's fired for cause vs without cause due to an apparent contact mistake by Arizona. Fun!
I guess the message from the Arizona administration was "if you're not cheating, you're not trying!"
So don't they just fire him without cause? Is his attorney going to make a case that 'no, he actually was fired for cause'?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

The U of Arizona Athletics Dept. has had a tough year, to say the least. Tough two months, now that I think about it. About like every day in the Louisville Athletics Dept.

The NCAA won't do a thing to these big programs--too much money depends on them and the media will bring all the necessary pressures to bear. What the PTB don't understand is that MBB will survive the scandal if they properly clear it up and punish those programs--other programs will step in and take their places. The popularity of the game is bigger than that of any particular program or fan base. But there are too many gutless people in charge to do the right thing. It'll be papered over, just watch.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote:The U of Arizona Athletics Dept. has had a tough year, to say the least. Tough two months, now that I think about it. About like every day in the Louisville Athletics Dept.

The NCAA won't do a thing to these big programs--too much money depends on them and the media will bring all the necessary pressures to bear. What the PTB don't understand is that MBB will survive the scandal if they properly clear it up and punish those programs--other programs will step in and take their places. The popularity of the game is bigger than that of any particular program or fan base. But there are too many gutless people in charge to do the right thing. It'll be papered over, just watch.
Except this isn't the NCAA, it's the FBI, right?

I heard on the radio this morning that Arizona courts are big on "the intent" and the mistake in Miller's contract regarding the Cause clause may not matter. Of course, the radio hosts were laughing at the idea that the contract would be void because "no, really, we swear, that's not what we meant."
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

MattK wrote:
Johnny4 wrote:
So don't they just fire him without cause? Is his attorney going to make a case that 'no, he actually was fired for cause'?
Of course, but it's still funny
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:The U of Arizona Athletics Dept. has had a tough year, to say the least. Tough two months, now that I think about it. About like every day in the Louisville Athletics Dept.

Except this isn't the NCAA, it's the FBI, right?
Pete, the FBI will focus prosecution on the individuals, not the programs/institutions themselves. It will be up to the NCAA to dish out punishment on the institutions. Of course, the Universities will deny any knowledge so as to keep their nose clean, and all they'll do is hire new coaches and move on. And the cycle will repeat itself, with the media promoting the programs with the largest fan followings, i.e. the ones in trouble today.

Still, when you think about, those programs with their noses clean will still benefit short-term from the mess that has been created. After a few AAU guys have been prosecuted and/or the IRS sicced on them, I imagine it will level the playing field to more "traditional" recruiting methods.
Plan your work, work your plan.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:Enough of Miller's "clients" who received "loans" signed rich NBA contracts. Facts will come out eventually as to whether these were repaid or not. I guess they were.

Ironically if I had to make a true WAG here (nothing semi-about it), the players who did not retain Miller as an agent entering the NBA are the ones who may have not repaid the "loans" and have the potential tax issues. How was Miller going to collect? Call 911? Turn in the coach bag men?
These are such piddling amounts (most less than 100k) and the potential "recovery" amount of taxes/fines would be so little that it'd hardly seem worth the bad optics for the FBI/IRS to pursue on any grand scale.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

It's interesting from a tax perspective. I think I would argue the smaller amounts are "gifts" and not taxable to the recipient as I don't believe they were enough to influence a kid to go to a certain school or even sign with the agent. Unless they want to set a precedent, I don't see the IRS going after a college basketball for a fringe benefit of $400. As ML Wave said, not worth the time and expense.

The $100,000 payment by Miller, if true is a whole different ballgame. I think it would be considered ill gotten gains and subject to tax. It would not be tax deductible by Miller.

Just one CPA's opinion for what it is worth.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

NJwave wrote:It's interesting from a tax perspective. I think I would argue the smaller amounts are "gifts" and not taxable to the recipient as I don't believe they were enough to influence a kid to go to a certain school or even sign with the agent. Unless they want to set a precedent, I don't see the IRS going after a college basketball for a fringe benefit of $400. As ML Wave said, not worth the time and expense.

The $100,000 payment by Miller, if true is a whole different ballgame. I think it would be considered ill gotten gains and subject to tax. It would not be tax deductible by Miller.

Oh good, someone who knows what they're talking about! Ill gotten gains is interesting...you see these payments discussed as "bribes" in the news but I think a decent case can be made that there's nothing illegal going on.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
NJwave wrote:It's interesting from a tax perspective. I think I would argue the smaller amounts are "gifts" and not taxable to the recipient as I don't believe they were enough to influence a kid to go to a certain school or even sign with the agent. Unless they want to set a precedent, I don't see the IRS going after a college basketball for a fringe benefit of $400. As ML Wave said, not worth the time and expense.

Oh good, someone who knows what they're talking about! Ill gotten gains is interesting...you see these payments discussed as "bribes" in the news but I think a decent case can be made that there's nothing illegal going on.
He basically said what I said but you enjoy a tussle
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

ml wave wrote:

I'm not sure from a legal perspective whether there were laws broken. I think that would be a major determining factor in to whether the IRS would consider it ill gotten gains.

The best examples I can think of are prostitutes and drug dealers. While their professions are illegal in most states, they are required to pay taxes on their income.

Better question, where did Sean Miller get $100,000 that couldn't be traced?

Back to work for me or I won't be a CPA much longer.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I'm not sure from a legal perspective whether there were laws broken. I think that would be a major determining factor in to whether the IRS would consider it ill gotten gains.

The best examples I can think of are prostitutes and drug dealers. While their professions are illegal in most states, they are required to pay taxes on their income.

Definitely some laws were broken, whether they'll be indicted or not remains to be seen.

100K is from the slush fund
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Since so many schools are involved, what is the big picture? Any thoughts on how this will effect college basketball and how could it benefit or hurt Tulane?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol, you're talking about gift taxes but sure.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Lol, you're talking about gift taxes but sure.
Sigh

Read what I originally wrote.
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Definitely some laws were broken, whether they'll be indicted or not remains to be seen.

I don't think things are nearly that black and white.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.
Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.
Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money
This?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I don't think things are nearly that black and white.
Of course you don't
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:If a kid and his family take a big cash handout and do not report it are they evading tax? I wouldn't release the hounds on everyone, you couldn't, but making a few examples might do some good. The class of people who need to be cleaned out are the AAU coaches and the agents. Fewer of those to focus on so that's good.
Sure, if it's taxable. Most numbers I've seen aren't terribly big and there are ways to get around paying taxes anyway (gifts, loans, etc.). The real class of people to clean out are the NCAA.
Gift taxes and loans that are fraudulent are taxable. It would discourage people from taking illicit money
This?
No
#cousins don't count