Cincinnati at Tulane

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Cincinnati at Tulane

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Senior night for Cameron Reynolds, all by himself.

Tulane promoting the game as the highest ranked team at Devlin in a decade. The promotion talks of setting the attendance record... I'm assuming they mean since it was renamed Devlin (because capacity was reduced, wasn't it?) I hope they don't think they are going to bring more folks than those hanging-from-the-rafters games back in the early 90s.

Interesting quotes and stats in the Cincinnati paper's pregame story:
"Really good offensive team," Cronin said. "Even when they don't win, they're good on offense. They've struggled defensively. Maybe a little bit of a lack of a depth. When you're playing tired guys, it's hard to be good defensively."

Tulane has four players averaging at least 30 minutes per game, led by Reynolds (36.0) and Frazier (34.4). In contrast, UC has only one player averaging over 30 minutes (junior guard Jacob Evans III, at 31.3).
https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/380679002
Some have postulated the players could be tired and others have said no way. This shows that we really are thin and really are wearing out our top guys, compared to other (good) teams.

(by the way, weren't we in the final recruiting running for Evans?)
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Cincinnati at Tulane

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:Senior night for Cameron Reynolds, all by himself.
Tulane promoting the game as the highest ranked team at Devlin in a decade. The promotion talks of setting the attendance record... I'm assuming they mean since it was renamed Devlin (because capacity was reduced, wasn't it?) I hope they don't think they are going to bring more folks than those hanging-from-the-rafters games back in the early 90s.
"Really good offensive team," Cronin said. "Even when they don't win, they're good on offense. They've struggled defensively. Maybe a little bit of a lack of a depth. When you're playing tired guys, it's hard to be good defensively."

Tulane has four players averaging at least 30 minutes per game, led by Reynolds (36.0) and Frazier (34.4). In contrast, UC has only one player averaging over 30 minutes (junior guard Jacob Evans III, at 31.3).
Some have postulated the players could be tired and others have said no way. This shows that we really are thin and really are wearing out our top guys, compared to other (good) teams.

I was thinking the same thing about the attendance record. Hate to break it to you but you guys needed a name change too to break attendance records as the gym was noticeably downsized when we brought basketball back. Of course had it been the same size as before you all would have broke those records too.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Tulane is aiming for a massive student turnout so goal of "attendance record" (whatever that may be is not simply BS.) Since game is on ESPN, I think it might happen for those students interested in national face time or some of the "incentives" being offered to them.

True marker will be if we have to kick students out of our season ticket seats. I'd be ok if that happened. :-D

Meanwhile last chance to see Melvin???
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

The night should be about Cam Reynolds. He has had a great career at Tulane and given so much to the program. He stuck around to try and help turn the program around when Conroy was let go and again when he could have left after last season and not sat out a year. 1,000 point scorer, AAC’s most improved player, huge 3 to get us to the semi-finals in Conroy’s last year and most importantly somebody who gave his all for Tulane.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

NJwave wrote:The night should be about Cam Reynolds. He has had a great career at Tulane and given so much to the program. He stuck around to try and help turn the program around when Conroy was let go and again when he could have left after last season and not sat out a year. 1,000 point scorer, AAC’s most improved player, huge 3 to get us to the semi-finals in Conroy’s last year and most importantly somebody who gave his all for Tulane.
+1. It has hurt to see him go so cold the past few weeks. He's gotta be exhausted. It sure would be great to see him find his stroke on senior night and light the place up in a Steph Curry-like way. :mrgreen:

That said, I hope no one tries to do too much, being on ESPN. The spotlights will be bright tonight.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
NJwave wrote:The night should be about Cam Reynolds. He has had a great career at Tulane and given so much to the program. He stuck around to try and help turn the program around when Conroy was let go and again when he could have left after last season and not sat out a year. 1,000 point scorer, AAC’s most improved player, huge 3 to get us to the semi-finals in Conroy’s last year and most importantly somebody who gave his all for Tulane.
+1. It has hurt to see him go so cold the past few weeks. He's gotta be exhausted. It sure would be great to see him find his stroke on senior night and light the place up in a Steph Curry-like way. :mrgreen:

That said, I hope no one tries to do too much, being on ESPN. The spotlights will be bright tonight.
Prediction: Frazier gets his hair did before tonight's game.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:Prediction: Frazier gets his hair did before tonight's game.
Please... everyone on the team gets a fresh trim before every televised game...
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I actually look forward to seeing the hairdo Frazier will come out with every game its a bit different.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:Prediction: Frazier gets his hair did before tonight's game.
Please... everyone on the team gets a fresh trim before every televised game...
Sure, but Frazier's a little more noticeable...
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Unread post by TulaneTiger »

Real ESPN tonight. That's pretty cool.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

wavedom wrote:

I was thinking the same thing about the attendance record. Hate to break it to you but you guys needed a name change too to break attendance records as the gym was noticeably downsized when we brought basketball back. Of course had it been the same size as before you all would have broke those records too.
IIRC, original capacity was 5,000. When basketball came back they were going to expand to 6,400 but the Fire Marshall tore up those plans and we settled for 3,600. I thought I saw where today's capacity is 4,100.
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

OGSB wrote:
wavedom wrote:

IIRC, original capacity was 5,000. When basketball came back they were going to expand to 6,400 but the Fire Marshall tore up those plans and we settled for 3,600. I thought I saw where today's capacity is 4,100.
I think that is about right. I know the capacity increased by about 500 when Devlin opened.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:
OGSB wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I think that is about right. I know the capacity increased by about 500 when Devlin opened.
The Gym sat 5,000. Fogelman sat 3,600. Actually Devlin shrank with the last renovation. It was listed at 3.200 in the season after it was done. Then when we switched leagues it magically got listed at 4.100. Gotta love RD's math.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:
OGSB wrote:
wavedom wrote:

The Gym sat 5,000. Fogelman sat 3,600. Actually Devlin shrank with the last renovation. It was listed at 3.200 in the season after it was done. Then when we switched leagues it magically got listed at 4.100. Gotta love RD's math.
Was that after they added those bar stools around the concourse and called those seats? I seem to remember the 4100 included SRO.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Recap from my hometown side... basically they are more worried about Evans' health than they were about the game (and rightfully so, if you watched).
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 386415002/
UC blitzed Tulane 36-18 on points in the paint, 41-26 in rebounding, 24-8 in second-chance points, 23-15 in points off turnovers and 35-14 in bench scoring.
My O/U guess in the attom thread on UC second-chance points was 18 and I said I might take my own "over". Looks like I should have. :angel:
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Great atmosphere in Devlin, until reality set in. Student attendance was announced at 1,170. There was no danger of anyone getting free tuition. The selected students had trouble with their layups.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Great atmosphere in Devlin, until reality set in. Student attendance was announced at 1,170. There was no danger of anyone getting free tuition. The selected students had trouble with their layups.
Those students were so bad it was embarrassing to Tulane. Many were saying that the fix was in as to their selections.