Cal State Fullerton at Tulane

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Cal State Fullerton at Tulane

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Wavemania wrote:coaching does it again. How much longer can TD let this go on?
Because firing someone 10 games into their second season makes a ton of sense. I suppose we should poach the head coach of Rummel while we're at it?
I'd take Rommel. Hell of a field general. Always had his pieces moving on the field. The dead Nazi part might be hard to overcome but he has a better chance of being hired here midseason than a certain other available coach.
But he didn't go to Rummel so 'mania is out (Rommel or the other guy). Can we just hire Rummel's coach?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

... just someone, anyone who can throw strikes in critical situations - like the 9th leading by 1. That all. Simple really.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

our closer has an ERA of 9.00; that's not closing that's igniting the fire. Time for a different closer?
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Considering this guy ruined an NCAA tournament team last year cuz he even admitted he didn't know what he was doing, I can see this team falling apart the same way. Waits way too long to get the bullpen goign when his pitcher can't hit the strike zone. Roper should have been pulled in the 1st inning as bad as he was pitching. Jewitt did the same thing last night, But that's fine with the few remaining fans Tulane has. Just jack up the price on tickets to offset the lost season ticket holders- you guys don't mind. :green wink: :roll:
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

is it also possible we are seeing the fruits of Pierce's recruiting or lack thereof? guy is a good coach, but he had one foot out the door the minute he stepped on campus and he didn't recruit a lick. if we don't have pitching depth, TJ cannot change pitchers. that said, this is the last year its an excuse for TJ (and maybe should not not be even now). I am not sure what his recruiting has been like, but if it is not good, its his fault.

of note, CSF had scored 1, 3, 5, 0, 2, 4, 5 and 2 runs in their previous games. they put up 9 against us in both games. they have played good teams, but that tells me our pitching is not good.

in any event, i expect ole miss and CSF to both be very good this year, but getting swept by both is really sad. let's hope the troops rally
Last edited by Yankeewave on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I do wonder why, in 2 consecutive games, pitchers were allowed to completely implode and pitch the Wave out of the game, instead of making a change.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Wavemania wrote:Considering this guy ruined an NCAA tournament team last year cuz he even admitted he didn't know what he was doing, I can see this team falling apart the same way. Waits way too long to get the bullpen goign when his pitcher can't hit the strike zone. Roper should have been pulled in the 1st inning as bad as he was pitching. Jewitt did the same thing last night, But that's fine with the few remaining fans Tulane has. Just jack up the price on tickets to offset the lost season ticket holders- you guys don't mind. :green wink: :roll:
you cannot pull your friday night starter in the first inning when you have no pitching depth. you almost have to see if he can work through it and eat some innings. pitching depth is what separates good teams from bad teams and right now, it does not look like we are a good team.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Long Beach State split a double header with Ole Miss yesterday and Purdue has looked very good so far. in other words, our schedule is not getting any easier and then we are into conference. mix in some tough mid week games and this is a schedule made for a top 40 ball club, which we don't appear to be at the moment. let's win today and get some momentum back.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

We win Sunday, Fullerton has to close out the game with pitchers playing positions. Another big 5 game week incoming.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Are they the suspended players?
Victory is never permanent
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

i would assume

wish we could have gotten game 2

big 5 game week coming up

purdue currently has an RPI of 9 which won't stay there being in the big ten, but it would be a solid series win.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Classic. Suspended for curfew. In their uniforms. Love it!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Do suspended players normally dress out for a game?
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

OGSB wrote:Do suspended players normally dress out for a game?
The clothes they packed and could have otherwise worn probably got soaked in beer and vomit on Bourbon Street last night. :lol:
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

funny story...Rick Jones secret weapon was Johnny Kaplan. He would always get him to give the opposing players a tour of bourbon street at night...was a guarantee 5-6am night, friday night into sat morning! Granted it was very well known Johnny played lights out after many drinks so rick knew he could handle it.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

RollWaveRoll wrote:funny story...Rick Jones secret weapon was Johnny Kaplan. He would always get him to give the opposing players a tour of bourbon street at night...was a guarantee 5-6am night, friday night into sat morning! Granted it was very well known Johnny played lights out after many drinks so rick knew he could handle it.
Dayum, and I used to love Kappy just for tortmenting those rascist mouth breathers in the Box. This raises the legend to a whole different level. I love it.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Some great stuff. Vanderhook is getting some national play out of this. What he did today is coaching.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Wavemania wrote:Considering this guy ruined an NCAA tournament team last year cuz he even admitted he didn't know what he was doing, I can see this team falling apart the same way. Waits way too long to get the bullpen goign when his pitcher can't hit the strike zone. Roper should have been pulled in the 1st inning as bad as he was pitching. Jewitt did the same thing last night, But that's fine with the few remaining fans Tulane has. Just jack up the price on tickets to offset the lost season ticket holders- you guys don't mind. :green wink: :roll:
I have sat back so far this year but.....What in the heck are you smoking? Didn't know what he was doing? Last year was 1st head coaching gig, came in after recruiting was done, had seniors on their 4th coach who of course don't want to hear his way, had no pitching depth or bench depth due to PIERCE's complete lack of recruiting. How did they fall apart last year? They rallied & ran out of gas because they had NO DEPTH!!! Yes we had seniors last year.....but anyone who has a brain knows that in baseball.. if you are still playing as a senior you either are coming back from injury or had holes that were bad enough to not be drafted as a junior. We had a team that were mashers & that was it.

PS... The only friggin way you can see if YOUNG GUYS can develop & handle adversity is to stick them out there & let them fail a few times. If they can come back & shake it off, much like last year, they can develop & you can see who has the marbles to play. Do you know anything about pitching rotations & managing a bullpen? The team has young pitchers that can only learn by actually pitching. they have to take their lumps in order to learn.

PS also... he is recruiting horses at pitching. He is getting guys in next year that can throw & are built for power. This job was a damn total rebuild no matter what people say.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

but anyone who has a brain knows that in baseball.. if you are still playing as a senior you either are coming back from injury or had holes that were bad enough to not be drafted as a junior. We had a team that were mashers & that was it.
Hunter Williams was the conference player of the year last season and didn’t get drafted. How our guys rated as pro prospects is irrelevant.
That offense of “mashers and that was it” will be a more productive offense than this one is.
PS also... he is recruiting horses at pitching. He is getting guys in next year that can throw & are built for power. This job was a damn total rebuild no matter what people say.
Total rebuild my a$$. Returned like 6 everyday starters from a conference championship team.

As for his recruiting vs. Pierce’s, I guess we’ll see. Seems to me that despite the huge recruiting class he brought in this year, it’s still mostly Pierce’s guys doing the heavy lifting.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

so far this year the Tulane team is batting .271 vs. .266 a year ago; the stolen base success percentage is much higher; and runs scored per game is slightly higher than a year ago....with 5.45 runs per game this year compared to 5.4 per gm last year. This year's team is hitting into fewer double plays 0.45 per game compared to 0.62 last year. This year's team is striking out 11 percent less than the 2017 club. This year's club is drawing 3 walks and HBP per game vs. 4.4 per gm for all of last year. But this year's team is hitting 20 percent more doubles plus triples per game than the 2017 club. Fielding percentage is also much improved so far and ERA is a full 1 run per game less than last year's miserable tally. This year's team is hitting HRs at a much lower rate than 2017 but run production is just as good. Teams are batting .248 vs. Tulane pitching this year vs. .282 a year ago.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

tjtlja wrote:Some great stuff. Vanderhook is getting some national play out of this. What he did today is coaching.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ded_p.html
"I wanted them to be fully embarrassed," Vanderhook said.
"He had a good day," Vanderhook said about Conine. "Then we had to make some moves because other guys who played were too scared to play a new position and didn't know what to do, so I guess they never watched baseball before."
I feel like if our coach had done and said these same things there'd be a bunch of people running him out of town again today.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

randymc wrote:so far this year the Tulane team is batting .271 vs. .266 a year ago; the stolen base success percentage is much higher; and runs scored per game is slightly higher than a year ago....with 5.45 runs per game this year compared to 5.4 per gm last year. This year's team is hitting into fewer double plays 0.45 per game compared to 0.62 last year. This year's team is striking out 11 percent less than the 2017 club. This year's club is drawing 3 walks and HBP per game vs. 4.4 per gm for all of last year. But this year's team is hitting 20 percent more doubles plus triples per game than the 2017 club. Fielding percentage is also much improved so far and ERA is a full 1 run per game less than last year's miserable tally. This year's team is hitting HRs at a much lower rate than 2017 but run production is just as good. Teams are batting .248 vs. Tulane pitching this year vs. .282 a year ago.
Well done, randymc. Although the usual suspects would probably call the facts Fake News.
MattK wrote:I feel like if our coach had done and said these same things there'd be a bunch of people running him out of town again today.
You do know that Andy Cannizzaro is available, right? :wink:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

We will have to see if those stats hold up and if this year's club can improve on its numbers even more. The infield is stronger this year at every base and behind the plate (except at first base where Hunter Williams was stellar last year). Witherspoon is on fire and improved at the plate and in the field compared to 2017. Ty Johnson when he plays LF is better than anyone who played there last year. The other OF position last year with Kaplan - and the DH spot with DeHart --was stronger than results in 2018 (at least based on results to date). Pitching is much improved this year, but still has a long way to go.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

MattK wrote:I feel like if our coach had done and said these same things there'd be a bunch of people running him out of town again today.
Because there aren't already (upthread). :lol:

Seriously though, I love this. Guys break team rules, do something to make sure they don't again. If someone wants to complain that the guys should be allowed to have some fun, then complain about the team rule, not about the punishment for breaking the rule that was in place.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:
Because there aren't already (upthread). :lol:

Seriously though, I love this. Guys break team rules, do something to make sure they don't again. If someone wants to complain that the guys should be allowed to have some fun, then complain about the team rule, not about the punishment for breaking the rule that was in place.
In my opinion:
Suspending guys that broke curfew is a no-brainer if you don't want people to break curfew. Embarrassing them in the media doesn't generally go over well these days. Calling out the guys that weren't suspended for not being willing to play a new position should have stayed internal.