Cal State Fullerton at Tulane

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Cal State Fullerton at Tulane

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:The 2016 and 2017 teams were not the same core. We lost one of the very best catchers in the country and one of the very best SS's. We haven't had many drafted in the third round or higher. We lost 2 in one year. More importantly are the positions we lost them at. In baseball you are only as good as you are up the middle. We lost the middle and there was no comparison at who took their places last year. We also lost most of the pen. They were not the same team.
Jake is the best defensive catcher I have ever seen in college - no one can replace him anywhere. With that being said, I will respectively disagree that our core (everyday players) wasn’t the same. Jeremy and Sal were more than adequate replacements defensively. Offensively, we did lose two good ball players and especially a lead off guy who could set the table. But what we really lost was a freshman all-American pitcher, Gibbs, Massey, Sam at his peak, Corey out the pen, and JP throwing mid-week. Add in Simms, Deuster, Rankin, and Jeremy before the TJ injury and the pitching just wasn’t what it had been. Yes, you better be good up the middle and I think we were certainly good enough, but you win championships with pitching. Look no further than some past champions like Florida and UCLA. Just a difference of opinion. And that is why I think this year has a lot of promise. We have some kids who can throw. Looking forward to their development.
Jeremy got hurt early. Even healthy he wasn't close to Jake defensively. Gozzo's clearly lacks the range of Alemais. They were huge losses. I noted what we lost pitching wise. However those two players helped the pitchers out tremendously . It wasn't the same team by a long shot.

I said they were more than adequate to win at the D1 level. The scouts said the same. And no one could ever replace Jake. We will never have that again.
Jeremy's bat would have helped but he was gone early. We suffered huge losses there whether you and others want to admit that or no betweeen them and the pitchers we lost.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:A good comparison would be the Astros last year. You have McCann behind the plate, Altuve, Correa, and Springer up the middle. That is as good as it gets. But most of the experts say they don’t even get thru Boston and the Yankees without the Verlander acquisition.

Our own fans forget how good Gibbs and Massey were, and Corey pre-injury. Those young men could really pitch and more importantly knew how to pitch. All they would do is just get batters out. Jared Berkowitz has the most wins in Tulane history yet he never pitched at the highest level. That is why Coach Jewett signed so many pitchers last year and followed that up with another dozen or so in the current incoming class.
They would have beat all comers. The talking heads were wrong again. Big surprise.
The talking heads included most of the Astros team led by Dallas Keichul. They were very outspoken at the trade deadline. Verlander sealed the deal. There is no argument here.
We'll never know.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

It was never about Mr. Verlander, but always about Mrs. Verlander. Kate Upton was the wild card.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:The 2016 and 2017 teams were not the same core. We lost one of the very best catchers in the country and one of the very best SS's. We haven't had many drafted in the third round or higher. We lost 2 in one year. More importantly are the positions we lost them at. In baseball you are only as good as you are up the middle. We lost the middle and there was no comparison at who took their places last year. We also lost most of the pen. They were not the same team.
That’s conventional wisdom but it’s not really true.
It's very true. It just doesn't fit your narrative.
It’s really not but there’s no way to prove or disprove it so I won’t waste any time trying.

Nobody is saying the 17 and 16 teams were exactly the same. We’re saying that the 17 team had enough talent to contend for a Regional. We’ve had much less talent on teams before and almost all of them managed to finish above .500
It clearly didn't have that type of talent level. That's fake news.
Have what type of talent level? The talent level to finish .500? That’s asinine.
The team last year went 13-11 in AAC play. They were clearly more talented than the 27-31 record showed. They got off to an awful start, largely due to coaching.
Last edited by visualmagic on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

tjtlja wrote:
Jake is the best defensive catcher I have ever seen in college - no one can replace him anywhere. With that being said, I will respectively disagree that our core (everyday players) wasn’t the same. Jeremy and Sal were more than adequate replacements defensively. Offensively, we did lose two good ball players and especially a lead off guy who could set the table. But what we really lost was a freshman all-American pitcher, Gibbs, Massey, Sam at his peak, Corey out the pen, and JP throwing mid-week. Add in Simms, Deuster, Rankin, and Jeremy before the TJ injury and the pitching just wasn’t what it had been. Yes, you better be good up the middle and I think we were certainly good enough, but you win championships with pitching. Look no further than some past champions like Florida and UCLA. Just a difference of opinion. And that is why I think this year has a lot of promise. We have some kids who can throw. Looking forward to their development.
A little video Jake support --

https://twitter.com/tigers/status/970791344921702400
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I saw that. The best catcher I have ever seen in college. He had a sub 1.8 to 2nd base. That is pudge level or the catching Molina family. His foot speed and accuracy is off the charts. Jake was also a great teammate. Cameron and Jeremy learned so much from him.

Wish he was still with the Astros. We did get Verlander for him, but to keep him would have been special. He should make it to the show this year. And you are right about Mrs. Verlander. I also think Dallas Keuchel had a part in the negotiations.
Last edited by tjtlja on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
That’s conventional wisdom but it’s not really true.
It's very true. It just doesn't fit your narrative.
It’s really not but there’s no way to prove or disprove it so I won’t waste any time trying.

Nobody is saying the 17 and 16 teams were exactly the same. We’re saying that the 17 team had enough talent to contend for a Regional. We’ve had much less talent on teams before and almost all of them managed to finish above .500
It clearly didn't have that type of talent level. That's fake news.
Have what type of talent level? The talent level to finish .500? That’s asinine.
The team last year went 13-11 in AAC play. They were clearly more talented than the 27-31 record showed. They got off to an awful start, largely due to coaching.
You said it had Regional talent. It didn't. The slow start was due to a lack of bodies behind the plate and on the mound that prevented us from scrimmaging as much as a team normally would. You can try and sell your lie that he CHOSE not to scrimmage but only an idiot would believe you.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

tjtlja wrote:I saw that. The best catcher I have ever seen in college. He had a sub 1.8 to 2nd base. That is pudge level or the catching Molina family. His foot speed and accuracy is off the charts. Jake was also a great teammate. Cameron and Jeremy learned so much from him.

Wish he was still with the Astros. We did get Verlander for him, but to keep him would have been special. He should make it to the show this year. And you are right about Mrs. Verlander. I also think Dallas Keuchel had a part in the negotiations.
Another thing about that video - the pitcher knew to get the heck out of the way for the throw down ...
visualmagic
President's Circle

I said it had the talent to contend for a regional. It did.

I have never claimed that the lack of scrimmaging was Jewett’s choice. If there were a lack of bodies at Catcher and that was preventing the team from scrimmaging then he should have gone out and got some bodies. He should have done whatever necessary to get some bodies back there, but he didn’t. It’s over. Not really sure why we’re rehashing this.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

sr wrote:
tjtlja wrote:I saw that. The best catcher I have ever seen in college. He had a sub 1.8 to 2nd base. That is pudge level or the catching Molina family. His foot speed and accuracy is off the charts. Jake was also a great teammate. Cameron and Jeremy learned so much from him.

Another thing about that video - the pitcher knew to get the heck out of the way for the throw down ...
Lol. You are so right. It is so unimaginable to think the ball is coming back to you as quick as a line drive off the bat. Like pit crews changing four tires under 10 seconds. Just ridiculous talent.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:I said it had the talent to contend for a regional. It did.

I have never claimed that the lack of scrimmaging was Jewett’s choice. If there were a lack of bodies at Catcher and that was preventing the team from scrimmaging then he should have gone out and got some bodies. He should have done whatever necessary to get some bodies back there, but he didn’t. It’s over. Not really sure why we’re rehashing this.

So do you have a genie in a bottle that could help a 1st year coach go find a catcher after recruiting ended? Also a catcher that wouldn't mind forking over tons of money with no scholly? What store would he find these imaginary catchers at to do whatever was necessary? You also want to save some bullets in the chamber when you know you are gonna have to ride like only 6 pitchers the entire season.

It was/is a total re-build b/c he is planning to stay here unlike Pierce. So what if last year they played better? We would have still been stuck with trying to fill roster gaps due to Pierce. TJ came into a total crapstorm due to Pierce's lack of pitching & roster balance recruiting.

As far as talent...I never said we didn't have talent.... we had tooooooo much of the SAME talent.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

If Pierce’s recruiting was so bad, why is this team still dominated by Pierce recruits?
Spoon
Artigues
Hoese
Gozzo
Rowland
Owen/Heinrichs
All In the starting lineup most days
Massey
Gillies
Solesky
Started 3 of the 5 games on the mound last week.
All Pierce guys.
The best bullpen numbers are from Bjorngjeld, a Jones recruit.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

They did not. That's why they didn't.

It was Pierce's job to recruit those bodies. By the time he waited to be the 11th choice at Texas rather than come back and coach a team he knew would break his streak of Regionals it was too late to recruit those bodies.

It keeps getting rehashed b/c you won't give up on trying to peddle your lies.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:If Pierce’s recruiting was so bad, why is this team still dominated by Pierce recruits?
Spoon
Artigues
Hoese
Gozzo
Rowland
Owen/Heinrichs
All In the starting lineup most days
Massey
Gillies
Solesky
Started 3 of the 5 games on the mound last week.
All Pierce guys.
The best bullpen numbers are from Bjorngjeld, a Jones recruit.
And again it's not Regional talent. Let's see whose starting by the end of the year.
visualmagic
President's Circle

wavedom wrote:

It was Pierce's job to recruit those bodies. By the time he waited to be the 11th choice at Texas rather than come back and coach a team he knew would break his streak of Regionals it was too late to recruit those bodies.

Peddle lies? Not a single lie here, kid. And it actually got rehashed by windy who had to take a shot at the leadership of last years team.

Jewett’s excuse for the lack of scrimmaging was that they literally didn’t have catchers that could throw. All he needed was actual bodies. I guarantee he could have found some guys to come catch and throw during scrimmages to make sure that everyone else was ready when the season started.
Alabama has Trent Richardson practice on their scout team at times. So if the rules are the same as football then they wouldn’t have even had to use a scholarship or a roster spot for this.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Peddle lies? Not a single lie here, kid. And it actually got rehashed by windy who had to take a shot at the leadership of last years team.

Jewett’s excuse for the lack of scrimmaging was that they literally didn’t have catchers that could throw. All he needed was actual bodies. I guarantee he could have found some guys to come catch and throw during scrimmages to make sure that everyone else was ready when the season started.
Alabama has Trent Richardson practice on their scout team at times. So if the rules are the same as football then they wouldn’t have even had to use a scholarship or a roster spot for this.
Don't drag me into this circle jerk.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Some folks just love to argue.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Last edited by wavedom on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:Some folks just love to argue.
It's not even a dead horse at this point; it's a moist hole in the ground where the dead horse used to be....
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Unread post by RollWaveRoll »

GretnaGrn wrote:
TUPF wrote:Some folks just love to argue.
It's not even a dead horse at this point; it's a moist hole in the ground where the dead horse used to be....
and now its a white walker!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The argument is over. Last year is in the books. My only point in all this is discrediting our senior class last year. Those kids could play and to discredit that group is wrong. They were not prepared to start the season for a variety of reasons and several guys voiced their opinion to the head coach. They knew what was needed to prepare to win. That is the epitome of leadership. That group hung together, never quit, and produced a winning record in conference. There were a bunch of those kids that also had MLB talent but for various reasons are headed in different directions today. Reading about lack of talent and lack of leadership on last years team is a slap in their face and should be addressed. To read some of this stuff you would think last years senior class was not up to par in any way.

Let’s get behind the current team and pull for these guys to prove the naysayers wrong. This group is exciting and the ship is headed in the right direction.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Unread post by RollWaveRoll »

no one should discredit the last yr seniors. When they got to campus we had not been to a regional in 7 years....was a very sad state of the program if yall don't remember. I know i do. Had not beaten LSU 1x in 4 seasons. They swept LSU last year 2x in a row for first time ever, obviously had a winning record against them. Won a conference championship, 1st won we had won in a big 3 sport since 2005 the last time baseball won it. Lot of short memories on this board of where the program was when that class got here. All with 4 different head coaches.

Heres to hoping we have a great season. I really think Jewett is going to turn us back into a powerhouse and get us to world series, but it's going to take a few years longer. It was a total rebuild, and this is yr 1 of it. He had to bring in like 30 players to replace all those starters which is unheard of to replace our seniors. Next year he'll have to bring in that many more and start building this back brick by brick. Pierce really left us high and dry and his guy just didnt know how to recruit to tulane and the expensive tuition.

That being said, Jewett is going to have to recruit elite talent on the mound. I know he's recruiting alot of guys, i just don't have a feel 1 way or the other if they are the type of talent that leaves when they're juniors.

Going back to my analysis earlier with the stats and comparisons to 2017 CWS teams. Our 2016 team AAc champ team was a CWS team according to those stats. Too bad we ran into the highest drafted pitcher in the country in Justin Dunn to start the regional off 0-1...toughest draw in the country that year. Pac12 champs, AAC Champs, Ole Miss, and BC with 2 1st round pitchers...crazy draw!

Our 2017 team hit well enough to be in the CWS but pitching was awful and cost us the season...according to those comparison stats.

This 2018 team, granted its way way too early. Doesn't quiet have the OPS needed offensively so far this season to make a run at the AAC championship. Since we aren't much of a slugging team, this team really needs to draw a bunch of walks to get that OBP up from .325 to north of .350, ideally .375 since our slugging will be lower. Pitching is better this year than last but not where it needs to be to win the AAC. It's early, things can change quickly!!!
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Wait... did you post a cogent answer, but then go back and edit it to add the first two or three sentences to make yourself look like an internet tough guy and thereby effectively discredit the previously-cogent stuff?

Wow.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote: I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Wait... did you post a cogent answer, but then go back and edit it to add the first two or three sentences to make yourself look like an internet tough guy and thereby effectively discredit the previously-cogent stuff?

Wow.
Still smarting over the Temple/UConn thread. Wow.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:The argument is over. Last year is in the books. My only point in all this is discrediting our senior class last year. Those kids could play and to discredit that group is wrong. They were not prepared to start the season for a variety of reasons and several guys voiced their opinion to the head coach. They knew what was needed to prepare to win. That is the epitome of leadership. That group hung together, never quit, and produced a winning record in conference. There were a bunch of those kids that also had MLB talent but for various reasons are headed in different directions today. Reading about lack of talent and lack of leadership on last years team is a slap in their face and should be addressed. To read some of this stuff you would think last years senior class was not up to par in any way.

Let’s get behind the current team and pull for these guys to prove the naysayers wrong. This group is exciting and the ship is headed in the right direction.
The discussion was about lack of talent on the overall team. As to others bringing up leadership they had legit reason to do so. I know that hurts you but that's the way it is.