Cal State Fullerton at Tulane

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Cal State Fullerton at Tulane

Unread post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote: I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Wait... did you post a cogent answer, but then go back and edit it to add the first two or three sentences to make yourself look like an internet tough guy and thereby effectively discredit the previously-cogent stuff?

Wow.
Still smarting over the Temple/UConn thread. Wow.
No, I don't care a bit about that, and I was trying to stay out of this thread, but I had just noticed that you made a thoughtful post, and then went back and edited it to be a jerk first (which most people know causes the casual observer to tune out what you say thereafter). You should have just left it as it was and it would have been more compelling.

But hey... you're a man (you said so, right up there!). Carry on....
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

I think he said "I'm a man." because visual called him "kid" in something of a condescending way in an earlier post. That's my only contribution going forward because this thread has lost any utility.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:Image
All worth it just for this gif
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote: I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Wait... did you post a cogent answer, but then go back and edit it to add the first two or three sentences to make yourself look like an internet tough guy and thereby effectively discredit the previously-cogent stuff?

Wow.
Still smarting over the Temple/UConn thread. Wow.
No, I don't care a bit about that, and I was trying to stay out of this thread, but I had just noticed that you made a thoughtful post, and then went back and edited it to be a jerk first (which most people know causes the casual observer to tune out what you say thereafter). You should have just left it as it was and it would have been more compelling.

But hey... you're a man (you said so, right up there!). Carry on....
Sure Pete, sure. It was very easy to stay out but you had to take a childish shot. Read outlaw's post. Then maybe you'll get it.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

RollWaveRoll wrote:no one should discredit the last yr seniors. When they got to campus we had not been to a regional in 7 years....was a very sad state of the program if yall don't remember. I know i do. Had not beaten LSU 1x in 4 seasons. They swept LSU last year 2x in a row for first time ever, obviously had a winning record against them. Won a conference championship, 1st won we had won in a big 3 sport since 2005 the last time baseball won it. Lot of short memories on this board of where the program was when that class got here. All with 4 different head coaches.

Heres to hoping we have a great season. I really think Jewett is going to turn us back into a powerhouse and get us to world series, but it's going to take a few years longer. It was a total rebuild, and this is yr 1 of it. He had to bring in like 30 players to replace all those starters which is unheard of to replace our seniors. Next year he'll have to bring in that many more and start building this back brick by brick. Pierce really left us high and dry and his guy just didnt know how to recruit to tulane and the expensive tuition.

That being said, Jewett is going to have to recruit elite talent on the mound. I know he's recruiting alot of guys, i just don't have a feel 1 way or the other if they are the type of talent that leaves when they're juniors.

Going back to my analysis earlier with the stats and comparisons to 2017 CWS teams. Our 2016 team AAc champ team was a CWS team according to those stats. Too bad we ran into the highest drafted pitcher in the country in Justin Dunn to start the regional off 0-1...toughest draw in the country that year. Pac12 champs, AAC Champs, Ole Miss, and BC with 2 1st round pitchers...crazy draw!

Our 2017 team hit well enough to be in the CWS but pitching was awful and cost us the season...according to those comparison stats.

This 2018 team, granted its way way too early. Doesn't quiet have the OPS needed offensively so far this season to make a run at the AAC championship. Since we aren't much of a slugging team, this team really needs to draw a bunch of walks to get that OBP up from .325 to north of .350, ideally .375 since our slugging will be lower. Pitching is better this year than last but not where it needs to be to win the AAC. It's early, things can change quickly!!!
RollWaveRoll, a terrific post and your analytics are spot on. Thank you!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Get off my lawn.

Was that cogent Pete?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:The argument is over. Last year is in the books. My only point in all this is discrediting our senior class last year. Those kids could play and to discredit that group is wrong. They were not prepared to start the season for a variety of reasons and several guys voiced their opinion to the head coach. They knew what was needed to prepare to win. That is the epitome of leadership. That group hung together, never quit, and produced a winning record in conference. There were a bunch of those kids that also had MLB talent but for various reasons are headed in different directions today. Reading about lack of talent and lack of leadership on last years team is a slap in their face and should be addressed. To read some of this stuff you would think last years senior class was not up to par in any way.

Let’s get behind the current team and pull for these guys to prove the naysayers wrong. This group is exciting and the ship is headed in the right direction.
The discussion was about lack of talent on the overall team. As to others bringing up leadership they had legit reason to do so. I know that hurts you but that's the way it is.
Who are you? And what is your connection to Tulane baseball?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
All worth it just for this gif
Also what came to mind for me.....
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Funny, I was thinking more like...

And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:I said it had the talent to contend for a regional. It did.

I have never claimed that the lack of scrimmaging was Jewett’s choice. If there were a lack of bodies at Catcher and that was preventing the team from scrimmaging then he should have gone out and got some bodies. He should have done whatever necessary to get some bodies back there, but he didn’t. It’s over. Not really sure why we’re rehashing this.
They did not. That's why they didn't.

It was Pierce's job to recruit those bodies. By the time he waited to be the 11th choice at Texas rather than come back and coach a team he knew would break his streak of Regionals it was too late to recruit those bodies.

It keeps getting rehashed b/c you won't give up on trying to peddle your lies.
Peddle lies? Not a single lie here, kid. And it actually got rehashed by windy who had to take a shot at the leadership of last years team.

Jewett’s excuse for the lack of scrimmaging was that they literally didn’t have catchers that could throw. All he needed was actual bodies. I guarantee he could have found some guys to come catch and throw during scrimmages to make sure that everyone else was ready when the season started.
Alabama has Trent Richardson practice on their scout team at times. So if the rules are the same as football then they wouldn’t have even had to use a scholarship or a roster spot for this.
I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Lying about what, Win?
What lie have I told?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:The argument is over. Last year is in the books. My only point in all this is discrediting our senior class last year. Those kids could play and to discredit that group is wrong. They were not prepared to start the season for a variety of reasons and several guys voiced their opinion to the head coach. They knew what was needed to prepare to win. That is the epitome of leadership. That group hung together, never quit, and produced a winning record in conference. There were a bunch of those kids that also had MLB talent but for various reasons are headed in different directions today. Reading about lack of talent and lack of leadership on last years team is a slap in their face and should be addressed. To read some of this stuff you would think last years senior class was not up to par in any way.

Let’s get behind the current team and pull for these guys to prove the naysayers wrong. This group is exciting and the ship is headed in the right direction.
The discussion was about lack of talent on the overall team. As to others bringing up leadership they had legit reason to do so. I know that hurts you but that's the way it is.
Who are you? And what is your connection to Tulane baseball?
Just a long time fan going all the way back to Abadie.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

I have never claimed that the lack of scrimmaging was Jewett’s choice. If there were a lack of bodies at Catcher and that was preventing the team from scrimmaging then he should have gone out and got some bodies. He should have done whatever necessary to get some bodies back there, but he didn’t. It’s over. Not really sure why we’re rehashing this.

It was Pierce's job to recruit those bodies. By the time he waited to be the 11th choice at Texas rather than come back and coach a team he knew would break his streak of Regionals it was too late to recruit those bodies.

Peddle lies? Not a single lie here, kid. And it actually got rehashed by windy who had to take a shot at the leadership of last years team.

Jewett’s excuse for the lack of scrimmaging was that they literally didn’t have catchers that could throw. All he needed was actual bodies. I guarantee he could have found some guys to come catch and throw during scrimmages to make sure that everyone else was ready when the season started.
Alabama has Trent Richardson practice on their scout team at times. So if the rules are the same as football then they wouldn’t have even had to use a scholarship or a roster spot for this.
I'm a man. One who has been around Tulane athletics a lot longer than you. You can try and talk down to people all you want but you are flat out wrong. He also said he didn't have the bodies on the mound. They only had 11 healthy pitchers in the fall. You can't scrimmage as much as you'd like witht that few arms. he's been coaching college baseball for a long time. He wasn't going to against the grain and say scrimmaging isn't important. He simply didn't have the bodies to do it. They did scrimmage it just wasn't as much as usual. Quit lying.
Lying about what, Win?
What lie have I told?
This has all been about the scrimmaging issue. I think that's clear.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

As far as power, I think we have plenty. People are forgetting it’s feb/march, and pretty soon the summer temps and winds will start up. I can think of 3 or 4 hits recently that would have been home runs on warm evenings.

I’m more worried about hits with runners in scoring position. I haven’t looked at the stats but in our losses that stat has to be pretty bad..

I was wonderfully surprised this weekend when our starting pitchers had early exits, that the rest of the staff (except for a horrible 9th inning), held things together. It goes to show our pitching depth, and you never know how things will end up in April in May, with our pitching staff....

I excpect a 3-2 or 4-1 week, and that’s with a very rough schedule. Let’s see what happens, it all starts in about 4 hours.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:Sure Pete, sure. It was very easy to stay out but you had to take a childish shot. Read outlaw's post. Then maybe you'll get it.
Oh, I understood it was a response to the "kid" comment. I'm still just incredulous that someone your age was so defensive about an online comment that you wrote a post responding to an actual discussion, and then thought, "wait a minute, I better go back and toughen up my response to that to make sure he knows I'm smarter than him and I don't take any cr*p from anyone".

Enjoy the memes you spawned above.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:Sure Pete, sure. It was very easy to stay out but you had to take a childish shot. Read outlaw's post. Then maybe you'll get it.
Oh, I understood it was a response to the "kid" comment. I'm still just incredulous that someone your age was so defensive about an online comment that you wrote a post responding to an actual discussion, and then thought, "wait a minute, I better go back and toughen up my response to that to make sure he knows I'm smarter than him and I don't take any cr*p from anyone".

Right . That's the reason you had to step in. Others understood the response. Didn't know you were the conscience of the board.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Right . That's the reason you had to step in. Others understood the response. Didn't know you were the conscience of the board.
Pete played Div. 1A college basketball for my alma mater, Tulane University, graduating with an engineering degree which formed the basis for his successful career. He, TU23, Ray, Cheerleader, and maybe a few other’s I’ve missed have earned the right better than most here to comment on all matters relating to sports and Tulane. He’s also been on YOGWF 12 years longer than you have. I choose him.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Well I see that its going to a GREAT year following TU Baseball! :lol:

Dave I love your bright optimism, I wish we had more of that. How about we close the Fullerton chapter and move on?
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Lying about what, Win?
What lie have I told?
This has all been about the scrimmaging issue. I think that's clear.

So, no lie? Right.