Southeastern 13 Tulane 12

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Southeastern 13 Tulane 12

Unread post by visualmagic »

I liked the leadership shown. They had a good spirit about them.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Southeastern 13 Tulane 12

Unread post by GSx »

Pretty awful, but we'll see how it plays out.
I hope Dannen is on top of these programs: women's golf, women's basketball and, of course, this.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

GSx wrote:Pretty awful, but we'll see how it plays out.
I hope Dannen is on top of these programs: women's golf, women's basketball and, of course, this.
Kinda care, do not care, I'm sure he is
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
chitown4tu
Riptide Level

Unread post by chitown4tu »

If things continue like this for the baseball team, we might want to start looking around. My periodontist was a catcher for Ole Miss and thinks we should get Andy Cannizaro
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

For over a year now we have watched our bullpen implode. Nobody can throw strikes, we seem to hit batter after batter and wild pitches are the norm. Some of it can be attributed to using a lot of young pitchers that are trying to do too much. However, given how pervasive the issue is there has to be more to it. Perhaps the coaches are putting so much pressure on the kids to throw strikes that it is having the opposite effect. Regardless, we don’t need a pitchiing coach. We desperately need a sports psychologist.
double d
Coach Level

Unread post by double d »

I'll never understand how a kid can be a D1 recruit and can't throw strikes. Obviously the recruiting is way down based on the results the past few years.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

I'm going to assume that you have all each approached and voiced your concerns in person with TD or someone on his staff.

Because this really sucks. It appears that our current situation is still floundering. AGAINST SOUTHEASTERN. AND UNO.

unacceptable.

For whatever reason: pitching, game management, recruiting.

I think our visions of realistically making a play at post season faded after this midweek of games.

And people complain about TJ's personality, but honestly I could care less if he wasn't a dynamic person if we were playing well.

And how we can mess up a good thing with golf? This last person chosen wasn't on Dannen, but JT Horton is still around and Janine Fellows who is an alum is the assistant at Clemson still.

P.S. USL beat the corndogs in a walkoff. This is going to take a miracle to get through the rest of the midweek games against state rivals.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

chitown4tu wrote:If things continue like this for the baseball team, we might want to start looking around. My periodontist was a catcher for Ole Miss and thinks we should get Andy Cannizaro
Well, it's settled
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

The whole point of bringing in tons of JUCO recruits is to turn things around quickly. That doesn't appear to have happened. What does our next year pipeline of recruits look like?
BS '99
MBA 2007
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

I was more willing to look past last year than most, but this trend is disturbing. At this point we are well outside of post-season contention which should be the expectation for this program. If things don't get better quickly I hope TD weighs all options.

However, there is 0 chance we or any other school hires AC right now. He shouldn't even be under consideration should we look to make a move.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

Game management issue evident in the bottom of the ninth, Sat. vs CSF.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Unread post by IM42lane »

At this downward rate, Tulane could NOT QUALIFY for the league tournament. What have they demonstrated in their play lately that would argue against that? What would everyone think if TU was left completely OUT of the 8-team double elimination setup (the #9 finisher DOES NOT GO) ?

https://static.theamerican.org/custompa ... racket.pdf
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

IM42lane wrote:At this downward rate, Tulane could NOT QUALIFY for the league tournament. What have they demonstrated in their play lately that would argue against that? What would everyone think if TU was left completely OUT of the 8-team double elimination setup (the #9 finisher DOES NOT GO) ?

Nice to see you turned off the all bold, all the time, font.

Hey, I’m looking for small victories these days. :-D
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

IM42lane wrote:At this downward rate, Tulane could NOT QUALIFY for the league tournament. What have they demonstrated in their play lately that would argue against that? What would everyone think if TU was left completely OUT of the 8-team double elimination setup (the #9 finisher DOES NOT GO) ?

Well, the hitting/run production would argue against that.

The pitching is alarming. Between pitcher management at the end of the Saturday and Tuesday games and inability of 3 guys to throw strikes last night, it doesn't look good right now.

It's still March 8th though, so it may be a little early to write off the season still.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have new blood :angel:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

murphwave wrote:The whole point of bringing in tons of JUCO recruits is to turn things around quickly. That doesn't appear to have happened. What does our next year pipeline of recruits look like?
Seems to have worked for hitting. Next class needs to be pitcher heavy.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:
murphwave wrote:The whole point of bringing in tons of JUCO recruits is to turn things around quickly. That doesn't appear to have happened. What does our next year pipeline of recruits look like?
Seems to have worked for hitting. Next class needs to be pitcher heavy.
The hitting has been good but it’s not really the JUCO’s or freshman that are responsible for that. Of the newcomers Only Ty Johnson is putting up good numbers at the plate.
Acy Owen is 3-29
Trevor Jensen is 12-52

And this class was pitcher heavy: Mcaffer, White, Green, Koppenhaver, Johnson and Roper.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

NJwave wrote:For over a year now we have watched our bullpen implode. Nobody can throw strikes, we seem to hit batter after batter and wild pitches are the norm. Some of it can be attributed to using a lot of young pitchers that are trying to do too much. However, given how pervasive the issue is there has to be more to it. Perhaps the coaches are putting so much pressure on the kids to throw strikes that it is having the opposite effect. Regardless, we don’t need a pitchiing coach. We desperately need a sports psychologist.
It is my understanding we had a sports psychologist last year who was helping some of the kids on the team, making some headway, and was told his services were no longer needed. He wasn’t a happy camper. Kids on the team loved him.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by G-wave »

I hope next years super secret recruiting class is loaded with impact players and great arms or it will be more of the same.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:I was more willing to look past last year than most, but this trend is disturbing. At this point we are well outside of post-season contention which should be the expectation for this program. If things don't get better quickly I hope TD weighs all options.

However, there is 0 chance we or any other school hires AC right now. He shouldn't even be under consideration should we look to make a move.
You want to see recruiting fall to an all time low, hire AC. What recruiting pitch could he possibly use - perhaps the slider or split finger?

It is a long season and we just have to hope the young pitchers get comfortable. Can we possibly walk more than last years total of 317? I thought that would never be seen again. Like Double D said, it just doesn’t make any sense. Let these kids go back to the pitching coaches they have been working with since they started high school. I bet you would see immediate improvement in a several of them. It can’t hurt.

On the bright side is the play of Artigues and Matthews. Those kids have worked their tails off and they are both playing tremendous baseball.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

We have a baseball coaching staff, and I have not seen any indication that TD is considering any dismissals.

Consequently, all this discussion of hiring a baseball coach is unrealistic and out of line. It's a counter-productive exercise that must stop.
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

At our booster club meeting coach TJ told us that this past recruiting class he had to spend the majority of his scholarship money on pitchers and didn't have much to spend on the position players. rjc