Bad Luck or Bad Coach

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Fanowave
Crest Level

Bad Luck or Bad Coach

Post by Fanowave »

The last two games have really sapped the life out of the team and fans. The grand slam in the UNO game after two close bean balls I was screaming at the tv to pull Bates. He had zero control and it set the table for a loss. They rallied back but was it bad luck or bad coaching that earned the loss? The S.E. game. Jeez, again. The season appears to already be heading for the tunnel. Unless there is a major turn around it's over. THIS IS THE HOUSE THAT RICK BUILT! Look at his disciples. TCU, S.E., Cannizarro (yeah he screwed himself), Corky. Wait till next year Saints fans.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Bad Luck or Bad Coach

Post by gerryb323 »

I don't think it was screwing himself that was his problem
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:I don't think it was screwing himself that was his problem
Unless she was into that
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I don’t think it was bad luck and I’ve been as tough on Jewett as anyone but I wouldn’t put these losses on him for poor game management either. I just don’t think we have enough good baseball players.
Fanowave
Crest Level

Post by Fanowave »

Yeah, but aren't good coaches supposed to recruit the best? Therein lies part of the answer. Where are the Micah Owens' and other notables on the roster? None.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Well, yea. He’s certainly responsible for bringing in the talent.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Fanowave wrote:Yeah, but aren't good coaches supposed to recruit the best? Therein lies part of the answer. Where are the Micah Owens' and other notables on the roster? None.
Has anything changed regarding NCAA baseball rules since Owens transferred in? Let me ponder that for a moment....
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
Fanowave wrote:Yeah, but aren't good coaches supposed to recruit the best? Therein lies part of the answer. Where are the Micah Owens' and other notables on the roster? None.
Has anything changed regarding NCAA baseball rules since Owens transferred in? Let me ponder that for a moment....
Not only that but, how many years has Tulane been good and made the tourney without Micah Owens or 'Micah Owens type' players. Having a MO type of player is not the measurement of success. Making it into the tourney is.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Not only that but, how many years has Tulane been good and made the tourney without Micah Owens or 'Micah Owens type' players. Having a MO type of player is not the measurement of success. Making it into the tourney is.
Hush you with your grounded in reality and reasonableness
#cousins don't count
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Jason Fitzgerald, Jason Navaro, Jason Sparks, Jake Burnham, Chad Sutter, Brian Hughes, Andy Cannazarro, Jake Gautreaux, James Jurries, Anthony Gerratano, Johnny Kaplan, Michael Aubrey, Tommy Manzella, Greg Dini, Brian Bogusevic, Micah Owens, Shooter Hunt, Billy Mohl, Jake Rogers.

All Impact Players! Will it ever happen again?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

CletusRelm wrote:Jason Fitzgerald, Jason Navaro, Jason Sparks, Jake Burnham, Chad Sutter, Brian Hughes, Andy Cannazarro, Jake Gautreaux, James Jurries, Anthony Gerratano, Johnny Kaplan, Michael Aubrey, Tommy Manzella, Greg Dini, Brian Bogusevic, Micah Owens, Shooter Hunt, Billy Mohl, Jake Rogers.

All Impact Players! Will it ever happen again?
Bobby Brown, Billy Fitzgerald, John Olagues, Cary Livingston, Frank Wills, Eric Lane. All Impact Players! How did it ever happen? Perhaps it was the precession of the equinoxes in the Age of Aquarius?
murphwave
Coach Level

Post by murphwave »

Matt Riser seems to be doing good things overall at Southeastern. Remind me again who we seriously considered for the HC position this last go around?
BS '99
MBA 2007
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

murphwave wrote:Matt Riser seems to be doing good things overall at Southeastern. Remind me again who we seriously considered for the HC position this last go around?
Deserves strong consideration moving forward...
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I think Riser was in the mix last time. I agree with ml, if we decide to make a move he should receive strong consideration.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
he wasn't the only no-sit transfer that made big contributions at Tulane.. Rick Jones made a living off cherry picking other programs when he could do it without them sitting a year.. it was a major recruiting strategy of his.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

windywave wrote:

Hard to take any of this seriously when nobody even knows his name is Micah OWINGS.
rjc
Breaker Level

Post by rjc »

Gone are the legislative scholarships and the transfer rule was changed a while back, two of the main things Rick Jones used to build the program. How realistic is it that we can get a team of good players when we have to compete with the LSU's, Southeasterns, Ull, and other state schools , when they can go to kid and offer him 1/2 scholarship with a cost of 5 to 6 thousand dollars out of his pocket, then Tulane offers him 1/2 scholarship but he has to put out $30,000.00 out of pocket. Unless Tulane can come up with more academic money like Vandy, Stanford, and Rice, which are much better endowed, i'm afraid that what we see now is the future of Tulane baseball. rjc
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

rjc wrote:Gone are the legislative scholarships and the transfer rule was changed a while back, two of the main things Rick Jones used to build the program. How realistic is it that we can get a team of good players when we have to compete with the LSU's, Southeasterns, Ull, and other state schools , when they can go to kid and offer him 1/2 scholarship with a cost of 5 to 6 thousand dollars out of his pocket, then Tulane offers him 1/2 scholarship but he has to put out $30,000.00 out of pocket. Unless Tulane can come up with more academic money like Vandy, Stanford, and Rice, which are much better endowed, i'm afraid that what we see now is the future of Tulane baseball. rjc
This. The "we need studs" argument is both obvious and over-simplistic. Rick Jones got as many studs as he could. Towrd the end he had fewer studs. Was that because he didn't want them anymore. Something changed. Was it the aforementioned transfer rules. we could argue about that. I don't think that TJ is turning away studs.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
zmanno
Navigator Level

Post by zmanno »

IMHO Pierce did more with less, he seemed to press the right buttons and got the most out of the talent that was available. That along with good in game decisions. I hope I am wrong but after the Saturday game with Fullerton, the UNO and Southeastern debacles the pitching staff seems directionless.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

zmanno wrote:IMHO Pierce did more with less, he seemed to press the right buttons and got the most out of the talent that was available. That along with good in game decisions. I hope I am wrong but after the Saturday game with Fullerton, the UNO and Southeastern debacles the pitching staff seems directionless.

You do realize that Pierce walked into a good team with EXPERIENCED PITCHING TALENT right? Directionless? Once again......most of our pitchers are raw & will need time to develop. Hence the reason some kids will be left out on mound to get out of jams b/c they need to learn how to PITCH at this level. Jewett doesn't care when we think someone should be pulled. If you pull young kids out every time they get in a jam they expect it. You need to let them figure it out & sometimes getting your butt kicked brings out what type of player you will become. The only way potential can become reality is to go out there & do it. If pitching was that easy everyone will do it. These kids just need time to adapt. Coaching isn't as easy as some of us think up here.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

rjc wrote:Gone are the legislative scholarships and the transfer rule was changed a while back, two of the main things Rick Jones used to build the program. How realistic is it that we can get a team of good players when we have to compete with the LSU's, Southeasterns, Ull, and other state schools , when they can go to kid and offer him 1/2 scholarship with a cost of 5 to 6 thousand dollars out of his pocket, then Tulane offers him 1/2 scholarship but he has to put out $30,000.00 out of pocket. Unless Tulane can come up with more academic money like Vandy, Stanford, and Rice, which are much better endowed, i'm afraid that what we see now is the future of Tulane baseball. rjc

RJC you are completely correct. Too many people just want wins but have no idea what it now takes to get there at Tulane. Hidden talent must now be found & hopefully brought to the surface because getting top flight studs willing to fork over tons of money just ain't gonna happen.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Baconwave is right in that coaching is tough. It is not easy. But as in any profession, some are better than others. Coach Jones was a tireless worker who made great in game decisions and surrounded himself with an unbelievable staff - Schlossnagle and Kingston are giants in this business. Coach Pierce best trait was handling pitchers. He had that uncanny knack of knowing when to pull a guy. I remember the opening game against Illinois when he inserted Trevor Simms in the ninth inning. It was the first time he had ever seen his own pitcher pitch live. He also had two kids warming up. He pulled him after four batters. He was prepared. Coach Jewett is still learning and being around the programs and people he has worked with should manifest itself this year and next. And having talent is all part of the gig. Recruiting will define his tenure. Pierce did inherit a very good team. The comparisons to 2005 are the standard. I know the kids we had the past two years would have shattered the record books in HR’s if they were allowed to use the 2005 aluminum bats. They had talent and most of that was attributable to Coach Jones.

Nevertheless, lets get behind Coach Jewett and see how this develops over the next couple of years. He is learning and that is unfortunate, but that is what we have and I think it will be very interesting to see how he handles his staff going forward.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

tjtlja wrote:

Nevertheless, lets get behind Coach Jewett and see how this develops over the next couple of years. He is learning and that is unfortunate, but that is what we have and I think it will be very interesting to see how he handles his staff going forward.
couple of years? what. no.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

At the end of the Jones Era we were already in a decline, the year we didn't make the conference tournament at all was what I thought the worst of it. Pierce came along and gave us CPR and this next jump should have been an upswing, not one where we're giving a coach room to experiment and figure things out. I thought that's why Jewett got the job over the inexperienced younger candidate.

Even if the grand scheme is that he is leaving the pitchers out to marinate so that they learn better for next time, we as a program do not have time for those kinds of games. It is understandable that the fans are losing patience. One season of transition is acceptable. Losing to all of the directional schools in our state in season 2 is not acceptable.

I am not on board for giving Jewett a long leash of a couple of more years. Nope.
Wavemania
President's Circle

Post by Wavemania »

Exactly DrH ! People on here were saying Jewett got the gig over the Tulane guys cuz he had experience over them. Screw this waiting for him to learn. How did that work out for Curtis Johnson? Hire the best available coach. This is why Tulane has been sucking for a good while in all the big sports. Basketball is a dumpster fire, and if Jewett doesn't't figure it out soon, Baseball will be also. When will Tulane learn.