Tulane vs Temple

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane vs Temple

Unread post by sr »

Tulane needs an Al Andrews or a Jim Kerwin
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

if we're dreaming how about a Phil Hicks or an Anthony Reed. :-D
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Rotorooter wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this, but our first critical step for next season is to find a consistent scorer on offense, someone who can get us 20 pts/game, every game. We need a go-to guy. I've always believed that I'd rather have five 10pt/game scorers than a 30pt/game scorer and the rest role players, but Dunleavy's style of play lends it to having at least one guy who can consistently score. Ideally, we need a post up player who has a great inside game; and a shooter from the threes who can light it up consistently--a 40% shooter from threes who can do it EVERY GAME.

I believe that Dunleavy will not change his style of play to fit the college game; no 40 minutes of hell, no cutting pick-and-roll against the zone defense, both of which can "buy" you points. We need to get that guy who has a creative offensive game. Right now, it doesn't exist on this roster.

Sehic is a 10pt/night power forward; Embo is an adequate point guard, but not a real offensive threat; Slater, same thing, although he can drive to the hoop better than Embo; the twin towers are projects at best; Frazier is gone, you have to figure, but even he is not enough of a consistent scorer; Paul is a leaper, period, and sloppy to boot; Daniels is not a create-your-own-shot guy YET; Cornish is not a scorer. So the question remains, where is the scoring going to come from, especially against a zone?

I truly hope the Dunleavy can come up with a rabbit out of his hat and find a lights out guy from Croatia or Australia or somewhere. Without it, we will struggle next season.
I generally agree. I believe there is also room for improvement from the players mentioned above. The offense will have different flow when not led by the outgoing players also. This may help returners' play. I also wonder if MD doesn't center his offense around one or two players a bit too much. It would make sense with his NBA background. It possibly serves to elevate the game of just one or two players with the result being an incomplete team success with single "most improved players." I don't know too much basketball, so who knows.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Roto's point that we desperately need a consistent outside shooter is dead on. Also, a true, gifted PG is worth his weight in gold in college basketball. We lacked that as well.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Unread post by IM42lane »

Tulane needs a good take-charge point guard, and they also need a center who can score at least 10 a game and rebound at least 10 per game -- 15 to 20 per game would be better.

Frazier is just NOT ready for the NBA, oeriod. He needs more improvement in his overall game, and needs to gain more muscle on his frame. Whoever drafts him had better be patient with his development. I guess that I am just plain stupid when it comes to judging hoops talent. Frazier has never been the kind of take-charge college player that the NBA looks for. What am I missing?

The men did improve from last year, but it was nothing special. Next year, Dunleavy needs to win more conference games, or it's adios.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

IM42lane wrote: Tulane needs a good take-charge point guard, and they also need a center who can score at least 10 a game and rebound at least 10 per game -- 15 to 20 per game would be better.

Frazier is just NOT ready for the NBA, oeriod. He needs more improvement in his overall game, and needs to gain more muscle on his frame. Whoever drafts him had better be patient with his development. I guess that I am just plain stupid when it comes to judging hoops talent. Frazier has never been the kind of take-charge college player that the NBA looks for. What am I missing?

The men did improve from last year, but it was nothing special. Next year, Dunleavy needs to win more conference games, or it's adios.
You have to affirmatively choose bold. :roll:

As to your last point, not even in the realm of possible.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote: You have to affirmatively choose bold. :roll:
That's a good quote :)
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:Roto's point that we desperately need a consistent outside shooter is dead on. Also, a true, gifted PG is worth his weight in gold in college basketball. We lacked that as well.
GB, just to be clear, a scorer doesn't even have to be a beyond-the-arc guy; just a person who can create his own shot, either driving or shooting. We just need a consistent scorer (preferably two), however that happens. It's either that or you're playing like UVA and playing defense to the level that the other team can't score. With Dunleavy's offensive scheme, you're doing one or the other, or both, but you can't score enough with the talent on the projected 2018-2019 roster.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

If Frazier leaves that gives Dunleavy another scholarship. Who knows if there is further roster turnover to provide more openings?

So maybe we see two more new players in addition to Moses and Crabtree for next season?

Meanwhile story on the street is that Moses is a lights out shooter. We'll see on that too.

Issue overall on defense is that Tulane is still a step slow and a half-jump or so less athletic than elite AAC competition. Talent-wise Tulane is betwixt and between. However Dunleavy and staff have immensely improved shooting skills of roster players. My guess is Dunleavy still tries to outscore opposition because he feels that's where he gets most bang for the buck in player development.

The team that wowed me defensively was UCF. If Tacko Fall returns from his injury and does not go pro (both significant ifs) then UCF could be surprise contender for AAC crown next season.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

IM42lane wrote:Tulane needs a good take-charge point guard, and they also need a center who can score at least 10 a game and rebound at least 10 per game -- 15 to 20 per game would be better.

I think you're missing that the NBA isn't necessarily looking for a "take-charge college player", especially once you get past the top half of the first round...a player with athleticism that can fill a specific role (in Frazier's case defense, maybe hit the corner 3) with a chance to improve can easily be worth a flier.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:Tulane needs a good take-charge point guard, and they also need a center who can score at least 10 a game and rebound at least 10 per game -- 15 to 20 per game would be better.

I think you're missing that the NBA isn't necessarily looking for a "take-charge college player", especially once you get past the top half of the first round...a player with athleticism that can fill a specific role (in Frazier's case defense, maybe hit the corner 3) with a chance to improve can easily be worth a flier.
Also, almost no one averages 10 rebounds a game in college
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone