Bad Luck or Bad Coach

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Bad Luck or Bad Coach

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Yeah. I'm not sure when it became ok to call our players (and 18-22 year old "kids," faiap) not good. Simmer down now
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:You have zero clue about losing the team. You are a fan. I was there. You have zero clue. I have never posted anything about last that was not true and some of this has been verified by none other than our own coach. And to call these kids out as no good sucks on your behalf. Artigues has turned into a hell of a player. Matthews is going to be a good hitter at this level. Colletti, DeHart, and Glancy could all play at this level. Sal Gozzo and Kobi are going to be major contributors. And Zubia was special. For you to signal out these kids as players without talent sucks. Just shut your big mouth about these kids and watch the games.
You weren't there. Your son was. You have your take and others have their's. Artigues is doing well now. Let's hope he can do it consistently for a year. The rest can play at this level but that doesn't make them good. I never said they sucked. Fritz learned quickly that it wasn't enough to just be a D-1 player. You need to deal with your bitterness. You've claimed dozens of times that you have let last year go but all you ever do is go back to it. Shut up already.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

The only argument for giving Jewett another year (if we were to miss out on the AAC tourney) is to see if his recruiting is good enough to bring in better baseball players.

As far as whether or not the kids we have are good ball players, one way is to compare (maybe unfairly) this roster to those of the ‘01 and ‘05 teams and see if any of the current/recent guys would be playing, much less starting, on either of those teams. There has been a decline in the caliber player we’ve attracted to Tulane. Not saying it’s every player across the board, and as previously mentioned, those rosters (especially ‘05) were full of transfers that didn’t have to sit a year and wanted to play with other top prospects. But, aside from Alamais and Rogers, when’s the last time we sweated over losing juniors to the draft?

It looks like Pierce did ok with getting position players, some of which have become decent hitters, but he left no arms in the bullpen and that seems to be the weakest area so far. I’m also not convinced that Jewett is satisfied with his own pitching coach that he brought in.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Waverider, that is an excellent point about the staff.

And the ‘05 team was so special. Owings is the best player I have ever seen play for Tulane. But I really do believe the 2016 team would have hit nearly 100 HR’s with the ‘05 bats. Gorilla ball at is finest. We had kids that would have been drafted in 2016, but various things happened which put each one of them on different courses.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Rider we'll make the AAC tourney. Unless there's a scandal he's getting at least 4 years if not 5. So we have to hope for the best. Can you expound on what you heard about the pitching coach situation ?
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Well I guess after taking a series from a Big 10 team that came in with only one loss on the season maybe we should just change the subject line to "Good luck or Bad Coach" or just shorten it to "Bad Coach" since that is what this thread is all about. You think?
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Baywave1 wrote:Well I guess after taking a series from a Big 10 team that came in with only one loss on the season maybe we should just change the subject line to "Good luck or Bad Coach" or just shorten it to "Bad Coach" since that is what this thread is all about. You think?
The team won, and everyone is glad. He still has a lot left to prove, we have USM and ULL coming in.

Anyone would want those Southeastern and UNO games back and demand answers.

Aint nothing wrong with holding the staff's feet to the fire.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

We don't have a bad coach, and there is no such thing as "luck." Therefore the answer to the initial question is "Neither!"

End of story.

In an attempt to stop this digression from further deterioration, I'm locking it.