Basketball - Next Year

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Basketball - Next Year

Post by tjtlja »

Losing Cam and probably Frazier, will we be a better team next year?
Wavemania
President's Circle

Re: Basketball - Next Year

Post by Wavemania »

If Frazier really is to be considered a 1st rd pick, I don't see it. Most 1st rounders can carry a team on their back and win a few games in the tournaments. Never saw him do that. Good luck to him. Whoever is advvising him, better hope he does should he sign with an agent. Otherwise, its off to Europe for a few years.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Wavemania wrote:If Frazier really is to be considered a 1st rd pick, I don't see it. Most 1st rounders can carry a team on their back and win a few games in the tournaments. Never saw him do that. Good luck to him. Whoever is advvising him, better hope he does should he sign with an agent. Otherwise, its off to Europe for a few years.
Frazier’s elite skill is his defense. Hard to carry a team on your back to wins with defense. Because defense requires a team effort and pretty much everyone else on the team is bad on defense.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Will we be any better next year or is this another re-build? Better yet, can we have a winning record in the AAC? This feels like starting over again next year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Wavemania wrote:If Frazier really is to be considered a 1st rd pick, I don't see it. Most 1st rounders can carry a team on their back and win a few games in the tournaments. Never saw him do that. Good luck to him. Whoever is advvising him, better hope he does should he sign with an agent. Otherwise, its off to Europe for a few years.
Who made that rule? Meanwhile I'll take MD's intimations at face value that Frazier plays in the NBA sooner rather than later.

If it happens now, I wish Melvin well. Meanwhile Reynolds is the guy who probably ends up in Europe or Asia. Great guy from a great family. May he prosper wherever he goes.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:
Who made that rule? Meanwhile I'll take MD's intimations at face value that Frazier plays in the NBA sooner rather than later.

If it happens now, I wish Melvin well. Meanwhile Reynolds is the guy who probably ends up in Europe or Asia. Great guy from a great family. May he prosper wherever he goes.
We’ve had too many “great kids”. We need to start recruiting better basketball players.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

waverider wrote: We’ve had too many “great kids”. We need to start recruiting better basketball players.
Again who made that rule that you can't be a great kid and a good basketball player?

Tulane does need more good players like Frazier and Reynolds to compete in AAC. How is that mutually exclusive from wishing prosperity for a good player who could have bailed on Tulane and been happily recruited by numerous competitive teams in the NCAA this year as a transfer student like Davis, Osetkowski, Stark, yada yada yada?

I hope you are not belittling loyalty to Tulane.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

We have got to get with clock management next year. We always seem to foul the other teams best shooter and our best players aren’t the ones taking the most important shots.

Hopefully Frazier doesn’t sign with an agent, goes to the combine and sees where the scouts project him before making a decision. Some of us see him as a pro and some like me don’t. Either way if he is a first round pick he should turn pro.

I like Sehic, Cornish and Daniels. We need much more depth, better point guard play and a legit center. Hopefully the two guys coming in can contribute immediately and we get something from this year’s class besides Daniels. Barrett and Koka didn’t play and Ajang gave us very little. You can’t have recruiting classes where 1 of 4 guys contribute.
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by Big EZ Wave »

We've been in the AAC for four years. Our best finish in the league was in our first, 2015 when we ended up 7th and won 6 games losing two in OT. The league wasn't as strong but looking back on it now it shows how good Stark was even as a FR and how much the PG matters in college basketball.

The next two years we won three games in the league each year and finished 11th and 10th.

This year the team is higher ranked in most strength metrics but we only won 5 games, though we played some close ones and had one OT loss. We finished 10th.

Next year we don't know who's on the team but we need to start bringing in talent that's going to help us move up in this league. We don't need more of the same.
Last edited by Big EZ Wave on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:Losing Cam and probably Frazier, will we be a better team next year?
We don't lose Frazier is my thought right now. I think another year in the system and MD teaching them plus the kids coming in and we will be a better team. I expect big things from at least one of the Sudanese kids next year, the potential to be one of those break out "where the hell did he come from" is there. Ultimately it comes down to rebounding, if we don't HTFU and get our noses in there to rebound, we're screwed. Personally I'd bring Willie in and have him coach full contact rebounding drills.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Big EZ Wave wrote: Next year we don't know who on the team but we need to start bringing in talent that's going to help us move up in this league. We don't need more of the same.
Agree
Very disappointing season
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by Big EZ Wave »

GSx as you know I never thought game coaching was the issue others thought it was, we've just not had enough talent. That's kind of been shown now after season two of a coaching change. Everyone now knows how dirty college basketball recruiting is, maybe some of the recent news stops some of the stuff we were up against. We need to start winning the recruiting game more than anything.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Big EZ Wave wrote:GSx as you know I never thought game coaching was the issue others thought it was, we've just not had enough talent. That's kind of been shown now after season two of a coaching change. Everyone now knows how dirty college basketball recruiting is, maybe some of the recent news stops some of the stuff we were up against. We need to start winning the recruiting game more than anything.
Yes, but then the coach is front and center with the recruiting aspect.
Re recruiting, don't we need some help at point guard? After several games of breakdowns in late-game execution and defensive lapses on the wing, it seems that it would help.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

The end of last night's game was the first time that I've started to have doubts about the success of the MD hire. He certainly has the experience and forgot more about basketball than most know, but we looked poorly coached at the end of the game - took a bad shot with a chance and then didn't even foul until it was too late. Combine that with the the fact that we need to upgrade the talent on team and we are likely losing our top two players, that sets up a potentially bad situation. I don't think that he has brought in an overwhelming amount of AAC caliber talent and we don't have a highly regarded class right now. Reynolds and Frazier were holdovers from Conroy. If he doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat in the off season, it would appear that we will take a step back next year and that shouldn't happen in year 3 of a coaching tenure.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I'm starting to question whether the "prepare you for the NBA" factor is a good thing. We might end up with 7 guys looking to improve their game for the NBA but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good college team. Last night looked like 5 individuals on the floor forcing bad shots as opposed to the fluidity of a team moving the ball to create shots. Early in the season, we looked more like a team playing together.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:I'm starting to question whether the "prepare you for the NBA" factor is a good thing. We might end up with 7 guys looking to improve their game for the NBA but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good college team. Last night looked like 5 individuals on the floor forcing bad shots as opposed to the fluidity of a team moving the ball to create shots. Early in the season, we looked more like a team playing together.
Interesting observation that I think is correct.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

washwave wrote:The end of last night's game was the first time that I've started to have doubts about the success of the MD hire. He certainly has the experience and forgot more about basketball than most know, but we looked poorly coached at the end of the game - took a bad shot with a chance and then didn't even foul until it was too late.
Jury is obviously out on Dunleavy since he has only won about 1/3rd of his games but jury is also almost literally out on his being outrecruited by his peers. Fix the illegalities by others and let's see what happens.

As concerns last night's ending, it's human nature. Yes our best player should have immediately fouled the Temple rebounder. However if you notice that in most very close games with a potential buzzer beater ending most players not shooting end up just watching. If they would continue to be actively involved in the play as they would normally do, they could occasionally still impact the outcome. Lorenzo Charles's dunk of a 35 foot airball to beat Houston in 1983 NCAA final is perhaps best example of a player just keeping on playing. Look at the attached video and notice Akeem O., one of the greatest of all time, just standing by and watching while his man Charles makes the difference for NC State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICZ8HO8c9bw

Charles was the exception. Akeem and Melvin are the rule. I don't blame the coaching for that. I credit biology.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Yes, the proof of your theory is all the tournament success of the last two #1 overall picks, Simmons and Fultz.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

if Frazier is leaving, Dunleavy needs to pull in a pure stud grad transfer or sign a near 5 star out of HS. Cornish will not be able to carry this team alone.. he will have Sehic and the continually improving Caleb Daniels, but I don't see us being any better than ECU if that's our core. Of the two signees, both appear to be under the radar guys like Daniels.. if one is as good as Caleb was this year.. we'll have a serviceable guy coming off the bench... but we need a guy like Reynolds before he became exhausted who can be guaranteed 16-18 points per night and hit the big shots when it's needed.

Hearing the color man list all of the guys back for Temple next year and seeing the talent disparity between them and the guys we have coming back was pretty frightening. They have guys like Shizz Alston, Quinton Rose, Nate Pierre-Louis and JP Moorman coming back.. any of those 4 would be our best player next year.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:I'm starting to question whether the "prepare you for the NBA" factor is a good thing. We might end up with 7 guys looking to improve their game for the NBA but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good college team. Last night looked like 5 individuals on the floor forcing bad shots as opposed to the fluidity of a team moving the ball to create shots. Early in the season, we looked more like a team playing together.
Interesting observation that I think is correct.
+1
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:if Frazier is leaving, Dunleavy needs to pull in a pure stud grad transfer or sign a near 5 star out of HS. Cornish will not be able to carry this team alone.. he will have Sehic and the continually improving Caleb Daniels, but I don't see us being any better than ECU if that's our core. Of the two signees, both appear to be under the radar guys like Daniels.. if one is as good as Caleb was this year.. we'll have a serviceable guy coming off the bench... but we need a guy like Reynolds before he became exhausted who can be guaranteed 16-18 points per night and hit the big shots when it's needed.

Hearing the color man list all of the guys back for Temple next year and seeing the talent disparity between them and the guys we have coming back was pretty frightening. They have guys like Shizz Alston, Quinton Rose, Nate Pierre-Louis and JP Moorman coming back.. any of those 4 would be our best player next year.
I agree we won't compete at the high level of the conference as is. We need our Milton or Gray or Rose. I would think Rose is probably on the same boat as Frazier; her may not be back next year
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PJR
Breaker Level

Post by PJR »

Has anyone identified the transfer for next year?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PJR wrote:Has anyone identified the transfer for next year?

Transferring in or transferring out?

My take on the players that have come under MD:

Transfers: Cornish and Sehic look to be starters and nice pieces for the rest of their time at Tulane while Reyes didn’t bring much and is out of the program.

We got a starting point guard and his back up in Ona-Embo and Slater (Conroy recruit) in MD’s first year. Ona-Embo took a major step back defensively, improved his shooting but doesn’t play like a pure point guard. Slater is an adequate sub. Jones was a total project and transferred.

This past year saw 2 star recruit Daniels who looks like a player that belongs in the AAC, injuries to 2 star recruit Barrett and 3 star Koka and very little from 3 star Ajang.

We will see on 3 star Wood and hard to find ratings on Crabtree.

Basically, we haven’t seen an uptick in recruiting yet. No 4 star recruits with the exception of Sehic who was a 4 star recruit when he enrolled at Vandy. I believe Cornish was a 3 when committed to Tennessee.

We need to start getting upper 3 star and 4 star rated guys to compete in our league. Daniels is a find but you can’t make a living recruiting 2 star players.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I would think he's referring to the fact that we've had at least one transfer out every year since forever
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

Johnny Mac wrote:Cornish will not be able to carry this team alone.. he will have Sehic and the continually improving Caleb Daniels
Daniels will be the best player on the team next season.