Segedin back on Dodgers 25 man roster

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
LB_Watcher
President's Circle

Segedin back on Dodgers 25 man roster

Post by LB_Watcher »

Rob comes off the disabled list since mid April and started tonight at 1st
base and makes the first 3 outs in the top of the first at LA.
LB_Watcher
President's Circle

Re: Segedin back on Dodgers 25 man roster

Post by LB_Watcher »

Being a Dodger fan, I keep tabs on Rob. I don't think he's going to make the club again this year. He had a decent year in
AAA last year hitting over .300. Dodgers just have too many guys that are better than him. It must really be a grind to have a young family and do the minor league baseball thing.

I am pulling for him to get a roster spot this year, but I don't think it's going to happen. After this year if he doesn't get some time on the big club, his days as a baseball player may be over.

Pull for him to do well.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If RS plays most or all of year in minors won't he have service time to qualify as a minor league free agent? Or potentially a rule 5 draftee if dodgers don't protect him. He started in Yankees system in 2010. In other words dodgers can't sit on him forever.

Finally he is clearly good enough to play in Korea or Japan if he wants to make decent money in the East.

As with you, let's root for him to succeed with the dodgers. However it's far from over for him if he is willing to move be it elsewhere in MLB or 4A ball in Asia.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

There are probably several teams that need a guy good enough to have played for the Yankees and Dodgers and who batted .300 in the minors recently. I know the Dodgers fans here would prefer to keep him but I hope he gets a shot somewhere.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Segedin still has an option left this year, so he can be sent up and down all year as long as he remains on the 40 man roster (which is protected from Rule 5). In exchange for that protection, Rob gets paid more than your average minor leaguer. If he plays in the big leagues this year for any real time, I think he'll earn north of 500k.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Dodger starting 3B just broke his wrist.. or had it broken for him with a pitch... sadly the Dodgers moved Segedin to first base or else he'd have fit into a platoon, there.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

As anticipated, not on the opening day roster
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
LB_Watcher
President's Circle

Post by LB_Watcher »

Rob DFA'd by the Dodgers.

"The 29-year-old has spent the entire year at Triple-A Oklahoma City where he has slashed a disappointing .211/.299/.325 with three homers and 15 RBI in 35 games."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/mlb/8780/rob-segedin
LB_Watcher
President's Circle

Post by LB_Watcher »

Most likely the last we'll post about RS.

Wikipedia:
Segedin was designated for assignment by the Dodgers on August 30, 2018 after missing most of the minor league season due to injuries. He retired from baseball because of chronic arthritis at the conclusion of the season.

In December 2018, Segedin was hired by the Philadelphia Phillies as a Player Information Assistant.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

RIP Seggys Hot Corner