State of YOGWF discourse

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
JDTulane
President's Circle

Re: State of YOGWF discourse

Unread post by JDTulane »

GreenieBacker wrote:Maybe there’s a reason why some of us only post here?

And maybe there is a reason some of us no longer post here at all and forum topics are borderline ghost towns. Stifling of public opinion over the performance OF ADULTS MAKING SIX FIGURES is ridiculous. If I want to kvetch and make an ass of myself after a loss .... well maybe stop me a little bit ;)
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

JDTulane wrote:

Stifling of public opinion over the performance OF ADULTS MAKING SIX FIGURES is ridiculous.
Agree.
And the serial losing is really getting tiresome, especially in sports where we have no institutional disadvantage, and actually institutional advantages.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

PCWave wrote:Amen to all of the posts here encouraging civility in posting. I hate it when people get into nasty arguments here. Supposedly we are all pulling for the Wave to succeed.
If anyone wants to hear about nasty arguements just check out the posts from the '15 football season and how posters here wanted to sue me over the "good juju" posts and blaming those posts for Tulane losses and questioning my loyalty and love for the Wave. Those threads/threats definately belonged in the "REALLY?" catagory.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
PCWave wrote:Amen to all of the posts here encouraging civility in posting. I hate it when people get into nasty arguments here. Supposedly we are all pulling for the Wave to succeed.
If anyone wants to hear about nasty arguements just check out the posts from the '15 football season and how posters here wanted to sue me over the "good juju" posts and blaming those posts for Tulane losses and questioning my loyalty and love for the Wave. Those threads/threats definately belonged in the "REALLY?" catagory.

Fan since '54
But then they would need to go back and look at the juju threads and the results of the games in question where they would find, time after time, that the juju threads directly resulted in loss after loss every single time. Don't put anyone through that again. No one wants to go there.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

One thing posters here must remember. We are Tulane fans (theoretically). We are not Yankee fans, Patriot fans, Steeler fans, Canadien fans, Celtic fans or Laker fans. We are not Alabama football fans, Duke basketball fans or (heaven forbid) LSU baseball fans. We can't just throw our hats on the field, court, ice or whatever and "expect" to win. It has pretty much always been a struggle for us to find consistent winning in any sport. The thunder clouds have far outnumbered the rays of sunshine when it comes to Tulane athletics. Which is why it is particularly important for us to stick together through thick and (more often) thin. Let's be friends folks. Nice should be our first consideration when we log in here to converse with our other Tulane friends/fans. We are all in the same boat sailing on the Waves of Tulane. :-)

Fan since '54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
But then they would need to go back and look at the juju threads and the results of the games in question where they would find, time after time, that the juju threads directly resulted in loss after loss every single time. Don't put anyone through that again. No one wants to go there.
And if you look at the history of Tulane football over the years I know you will find that the frequency of losses over the years pretty much corrolate with the frequency of losses when the threads were posted. No A+B = C there. Just a continuation of what was happeneing that started in the middle of the last century and is still happening today. :roll:

'54
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

FS, those threads were purely a couple of guys who were taking advantage of you taking them so seriously, and egging you on to see how far you'd go. Several folks told you that at the time but you kept responding to the "eggers" and they joyously kept letting you have it. If you'd ignored them after their initial responses, the threads wouldn't have even made a second page.

But let's not digress this thread into the merits of juju pictures.

Of course, the same thing can be said for most of the threads here that caused this very thread to be started. If people weren't so defensive or highly offendable and didn't feel the need to argue back about every point about which someone disagreed, we wouldn't have multiple pages of arguing which devolve into name-calling. And of course, a lot of that is the way people write things. There's no tone of voice on the internet. Some folks come off angry when they are really just teasing, or not as passionate about a topic as others assume.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:FS, those threads were purely a couple of guys who were taking advantage of you taking them so seriously, and egging you on to see how far you'd go. Several folks told you that at the time but you kept responding to the "eggers" and they joyously kept letting you have it. If you'd ignored them after their initial responses, the threads wouldn't have even made a second page.

But let's not digress this thread into the merits of juju pictures.

Of course, the same thing can be said for most of the threads here that caused this very thread to be started. If people weren't so defensive or highly offendable and didn't feel the need to argue back about every point about which someone disagreed, we wouldn't have multiple pages of arguing which devolve into name-calling. And of course, a lot of that is the way people write things. There's no tone of voice on the internet. Some folks come off angry when they are really just teasing, or not as passionate about a topic as others assume.
Unpossible! I always choose the teasing font for nearly all of my responses. Can't you guys see it or is my screen special?
Maybe I should use a special way to let everyone know when I'm serious? how's this work?
Last edited by gerryb323 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:There's no tone of voice on the internet. Some folks come off angry when they are really just teasing, or not as passionate about a topic as others assume.
NSFW:

Victory is never permanent
washwave
Breaker Level

Unread post by washwave »

Many of us out of towners come on here to get the pulse of what's going on and get some information. We're not always around other people that follow Tulane and want to get that input. I assume that others like me read more than they post. The only thing that is a turn off to me is the personal attacks and petty back and forth between posters. The reaction to what happens on the field or around the program is what fans do. Don't understand the notion of wanting anyone to sugar coat it or not say what they think. This forum is infinitely more civilized than most forums/ blogs/ comment sections out there. If an adult makes hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to coach or run a department, they are wide open for criticism in my mind. I've even spoken with coaches at Tulane who understand that is part of the deal. People are smart and can see what's going on. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion on that but the idea that someone starts deleting comments because someone was saying something that they don't agree with or is too negative doesn't make sense to me. If someone makes an outrageous comment, they will look stupid enough on their own. Censoring comments is a bad look in my opinion.
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Unread post by olivengreen »

JDTulane wrote:

And maybe there is a reason some of us no longer post here at all and forum topics are borderline ghost towns. Stifling of public opinion over the performance OF ADULTS MAKING SIX FIGURES is ridiculous. If I want to kvetch and make an ass of myself after a loss .... well maybe stop me a little bit ;)
Glad to see you back.

I just find it funny that the mods will break the rules and nothing happens. Several times mods have heavily suggested firing of a coach and nothing would happen but if a pleb would do that we would get the finger wag of doom.

It's funny that both Tulane boards are almost polar opposites.
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

The flip side of the coin of some posters expressing dissatisfaction about losing coaches is the corresponding posters (and yes they are often the same folks) lamenting and speculating endlessly if, when and how our winning coaches are leaving.

Thus it was. Thus it ever will be.

Please just do this stuff collegially and amicably and especially spare us the last wordism which inevitably descends into mud wrestling or "Of course I'm going to respond if someone comments on one of my posts."

Meanwhile I'm just interested in the game(s) at hand. Can Tulane bounce back this weekend against LBSU?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
And then they would compare and contrast that with the stark improvements made in the program since the juju threads were (mercifully) stopped. Sure it's taken two years to overcome the damage caused, but this year we should finally be back to our pre-juju level (CJ's NO Bowl season) if not better.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
And then they would compare and contrast that with the stark improvements made in the program since the juju threads were (mercifully) stopped. Sure it's taken two years to overcome the damage caused, but this year we should finally be back to our pre-juju level (CJ's NO Bowl season) if not better.
Which will only prompt '54 to start juju threads again and the cycle resumes!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
Which will only prompt '54 to start juju threads again and the cycle resumes!
NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Fan Since '54 wrote:One thing posters here must remember. We are Tulane fans (theoretically). We are not Yankee fans, Patriot fans, Steeler fans, Canadien fans, Celtic fans or Laker fans. We are not Alabama football fans, Duke basketball fans or (heaven forbid) LSU baseball fans. We can't just throw our hats on the field, court, ice or whatever and "expect" to win. It has pretty much always been a struggle for us to find consistent winning in any sport. The thunder clouds have far outnumbered the rays of sunshine when it comes to Tulane athletics. Which is why it is particularly important for us to stick together through thick and (more often) thin. Let's be friends folks. Nice should be our first consideration when we log in here to converse with our other Tulane friends/fans. We are all in the same boat sailing on the Waves of Tulane. :-)

Fan since '54
Very well stated.
We deserve so much better
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:One thing posters here must remember. We are Tulane fans (theoretically). We are not Yankee fans, Patriot fans, Steeler fans, Canadien fans, Celtic fans or Laker fans. We are not Alabama football fans, Duke basketball fans or (heaven forbid) LSU baseball fans. We can't just throw our hats on the field, court, ice or whatever and "expect" to win. It has pretty much always been a struggle for us to find consistent winning in any sport. The thunder clouds have far outnumbered the rays of sunshine when it comes to Tulane athletics. Which is why it is particularly important for us to stick together through thick and (more often) thin. Let's be friends folks. Nice should be our first consideration when we log in here to converse with our other Tulane friends/fans. We are all in the same boat sailing on the Waves of Tulane. :-)

Fan since '54
Very well stated.
Looking back here, I probably should have added one more sentence at the end of my post. "Please don't make waves". :roll: :wink:

Fan since '54
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Thanks for trying but it hasn't had any affect.
We deserve so much better