anyone with info on a baseball commitment i saw on twitter

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: anyone with info on a baseball commitment i saw on twitt

Post by tjtlja »

You would be shocked how many kids throw mid-80’s in college, especially from the left side. Like you said, location, command, knowing hitters, all play into being an effective. What makes this kid interesting is he is a lefty and he has length. Him sitting at 85 is not that unusual at his age and development.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I think he's sitting 85 and can get it up into the high 80s. When I was pitching at Tulane, I threw in the mid-80s from the left side. Joey Charron, who made a million appearances for us, threw in the low 80s from the left side. Jared Berkowitz, our career wins leader, threw 78-82 from the left side. Jared Robinson, who pitched a bunch for us, couldn't break an egg. JR Crowel, who won 26 games for us, threw 85-88 max and was offered a 600k bonus by the Giants out of high school because of projection. Mike Aubrey threw mostly in the mid to high 80s.

If you want to bring in other programs...Lane Mestepay won a million games at LSU and he threw 84-85. Andy Gros was ULL's ace for four years at the height of their program and he threw 80.

6'7 225 lbs is what they're looking at. You put 15 lbs of muscle on that kid and he's probably throwing 91-93.

tjtlja is right about most college pitchers...you'd be shocked at how many of them throw consistently in the mid 80s. By and large, the kids who consistently pitch in the 90s don't make it to college.
Coach Jones called them "stock righties" 6'2-6'4, 200-225 lbs, 85-89 mph with a change and slider. He said you can just go and pluck them off the shelf because there are so many of them out there. And he's right.

In 2001, for instance, I could name the few pitchers who we faced who really got it up there consistently in the low to mid 90s: John Maine, Dan Heron, Jeremy Guthrie, Scott Baker, Josh Karp. All but Karp (who was the 4th pick in the draft) played a long time in the big leagues. It was like that most years. A handful of guys who could really wing it and the rest of the righties threw 85-90 and the lefties threw 83-87 ish.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Berk threw 86, if you listened to Berk. But he was crafty. On and off the field.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

The key is he hit 91. What does he sit at?

Jeremy hit 91, but sat at 86-88.

This kid reminds me of a kid my son played high school ball with by the name of Jon Duplantier. Threw high 80’s in high school. Played at Rice. Was a reliever behind Jeremy and Daniel Rankin in high school. A 6’4 righty who was a lengthy kid. Throws mid 90’s today and will be in pro ball very soon if he stays healthy. Dotson reminds me of Jon on film. That is why he had so much interest from the who’s who of college baseball.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

FW wrote:Berk threw 86, if you listened to Berk. But he was crafty. On and off the field.
If Berk threw 86, I threw 93. So I’ll go with Berk on that one.
This one belongs to the Wave.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

TU23 wrote:
FW wrote:Berk threw 86, if you listened to Berk. But he was crafty. On and off the field.
If Berk threw 86, I threw 93. So I’ll go with Berk on that one.
Hence, the implied snark on my part. He also threw 92 after some time spent at Brunos.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TU23 wrote:I think he's sitting 85 and can get it up into the high 80s. When I was pitching at Tulane, I threw in the mid-80s from the left side. Joey Charron, who made a million appearances for us, threw in the low 80s from the left side. Jared Berkowitz, our career wins leader, threw 78-82 from the left side. Jared Robinson, who pitched a bunch for us, couldn't break an egg. JR Crowel, who won 26 games for us, threw 85-88 max and was offered a 600k bonus by the Giants out of high school because of projection. Mike Aubrey threw mostly in the mid to high 80s.

If you want to bring in other programs...Lane Mestepay won a million games at LSU and he threw 84-85. Andy Gros was ULL's ace for four years at the height of their program and he threw 80.

6'7 225 lbs is what they're looking at. You put 15 lbs of muscle on that kid and he's probably throwing 91-93.

tjtlja is right about most college pitchers...you'd be shocked at how many of them throw consistently in the mid 80s. By and large, the kids who consistently pitch in the 90s don't make it to college.
Coach Jones called them "stock righties" 6'2-6'4, 200-225 lbs, 85-89 mph with a change and slider. He said you can just go and pluck them off the shelf because there are so many of them out there. And he's right.

In 2001, for instance, I could name the few pitchers who we faced who really got it up there consistently in the low to mid 90s: John Maine, Dan Heron, Jeremy Guthrie, Scott Baker, Josh Karp. All but Karp (who was the 4th pick in the draft) played a long time in the big leagues. It was like that most years. A handful of guys who could really wing it and the rest of the righties threw 85-90 and the lefties threw 83-87 ish.
It's the equivalent of running a 4.5 forty...everybody wants that guy, but there's not as many of them as you think.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Coach looking like the Babe.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

We lose four players this year - Sam, Rowland, Spoon, and Ben White. That leaves 31 players coming back from the roster and a couple of kids in school that are hurt - a total of 33. We have at a minimum 18 kids committed/signed. That is a total of 51 players on the fall roster next year at this point in time. It seems like he is not sold on his first recruiting class. There will be massive turnover again. His second class is very, very good. Maybe Jewett expects to lose a bunch of the second class to pro ball. Very interesting how he is reshaping this team over a two year period. If they all show up in the fall, it will look like the crowd at Fogleman tonight.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

The last three recruits have come from 6-4-3dp summer baseball program here in Marietta. I know it well, my son played in it early on and I know the management and coaches. It has supplanted East Cobb as the premier summer program for college and draft-bound players. If you want a middle infielder, 6-4-3 is where you go. These guys are pitchers for the most part and I don't know how well the pitching instruction is there, but I suspect pretty darn good. If Jewett is hooked into 6-4-3, then we're recruiting in the right places. HOWEVER, recruiting pitchers is a real crapshoot.

It is clear to me that the talent pool is thinning at pitcher, probably due to demographics--lower birth rates than 10 or even 7 years ago. I can assure you that Jones recruited nothing but fireballers, guys who threw 90 consistently, or he wasn't interested. I know this from firsthand experience.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Nice to see so many commits but are any of these kids impact players that can turn a program around ?