Dave Dickerson

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Dave Dickerson

Post by PeteRasche »

Per our local news this morning, "Scout.com is reporting" that DD is in the final three for the head coaching position at Miami (OH). Their long-time coach just retired.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Dave Dickerson

Post by TUPF »

I wish him well. Hopefully all of us apply lessons learned from the inevitable misfires and steps backward. It is the rare person who never experiences failure and more the measure of a person on how one recovers.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

He strikes me as someone who will learn from his mistakes. It was time for him to go from here, but I wouldn't be shocked if he builds on what he learned and eventually works out as a head coach elsewhere.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

I wish him the best at whatever he does. No ill will towards him at all. I hope he learned a few things the first time around both in dealing with the administrative side and the coaching side. He is not a terrible coach but he needs mentally strong kids that have no doubts about their skills or else they will crumble vs. his style of coaching.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If he gets this or another job the first thing he needs to do is accept whatever he finds in his new situation and not complain about it. Ever. DD had a lot of things going against him here but he also showed a tendency to accentuate the negative in public.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Feel so sorry for Miami.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

On April 5th, 2018 USC Upstate is going to name Dickerson as their head coach.
@ToddSummers7:On Thursday April 5th, USC Upstate will officially introduce Dave Dickerson as its new head basketball coach.
Dickerson has spent time as a head coach at Tulane and as an assistant at Ohio State. He is a native of Olar, SC. @WSPA7
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

That's the A-Sun. I'm pretty sure USC-Upstate has never made the tourney. Would be cool to see him pull that off.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

USC-Upstate or what I refer to as “The other other USC.”

Glad to see him get another chance.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

NJwave wrote:USC-Upstate or what I refer to as “The other other USC.”

Obviously the hire not impressing this guy...

USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham will visit Tulane on April 7th, per a source. Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Florida State also in mix.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 2, 2018

Cunningham averaged 13.7 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game this season for South Carolina Upstate, who went just 7-25, including 2-12 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Cunningham also averaged more than 13.4 points per contest in 2016-17.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:

USC Upstate grad transfer Mike Cunningham will visit Tulane on April 7th, per a source. Louisville, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Florida State also in mix.

Cunningham averaged 13.7 points, 3.0 assists and 2.8 rebounds per game this season for South Carolina Upstate, who went just 7-25, including 2-12 in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Cunningham also averaged more than 13.4 points per contest in 2016-17.
I wouldn't read much into it, given where he's looking to go. Obviously, he wants to play in a more competitive league than the A-Sun (assuming the interest is mutual with at least some of the schools mentioned).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I wouldn't read much into it, given where he's looking to go. Obviously, he wants to play in a more competitive league than the A-Sun (assuming the interest is mutual with at least some of the schools mentioned).
Pretty sure there had to be mutual interest for an official visit
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone