MLB baseballs...are they juiced?

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

MLB baseballs...are they juiced?

Post by Fan Since '54 »

What do you guys think? And do you like it if they are? I think they definitely are. If you watched Home Run Derby last year, how could you not suspect it? And if the first few games of MLB'18 are any indication, nothing has changed since last year. Personally I'm not sure if I like it or not. Yea you like it when you see one occasionally really get crushed. But when it happens on a regualar basis, it's loses the "wow" factor.

And if the balls are juiced AND the players are also...well, that's a whole nother matter entierly. :roll:

BTW, I'm a Yankee fan.

Opinions...

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: MLB baseballs...are they juiced?

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Depends on what you mean by juiced. But this topic has definitely gotten plenty of press. Plenty of folks have done measurements of the core, bounciness, etc. and all have noted a change in the balls pre and post All-Star game 2015. The thing is, the balls appear to be within MLB's guidelines so there's nothing technically untoward about them now.

538 did an article on this not too long ago. I found it interesting.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

As a Yankees fan you should probably be happy. That stadium they have should see lots of home runs this year.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Personally I'd love to see intentionally juiced balls in the Home Run Derby. Heck, let them hit golf balls. I'd love to see guys hitting 1000-foot home runs and busting office building windows five blocks away. :mrgreen:
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

So now we're asking if we believe science or some BS spouted by a multi-billion dollar organization?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

For a game that is so steeped in stats, it's always bothered me that baseball ever "modernizes" it's equipment. Is a home run today easier or harder than a home run in 1927? Will the same hit go farther in 2018 than it did in 1957? Is a 100 mile an hour pitch today easier than it was in 1974?

Since there are so many variables that are continually being changed, why bother to keep all those stats so religiously?

Just so the equipment is the same for both teams...
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Roller wrote:For a game that is so steeped in stats, it's always bothered me that baseball ever "modernizes" it's equipment. Is a home run today easier or harder than a home run in 1927? Will the same hit go farther in 2018 than it did in 1957? Is a 100 mile an hour pitch today easier than it was in 1974?

Since there are so many variables that are continually being changed, why bother to keep all those stats so religiously?

Just so the equipment is the same for both teams...
There were times (maybe still are) when the "human" equipment was tankered with. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Roller, while I agree with you with regards to the beauty of traditions in baseball. Major League Baseball does, and has, tinkered with the game to "improve" it, like when they lowered the mound in the 60's when pitching became too dominant. A slightly juiced baseball that improves the run scoring and homeruns is OK in my book.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.